JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing I missed the first time reading through the law is that they refer to two different detection methods for two different criteria.

The 3.7 ounces requirement applies to the whole firearm (not just the frame) and a metal detector. The individual parts have to look like parts of a firearm in an x-ray. This is probably why you can still buy sub-compact pistols with only tiny bits of metal in a polymer frame.

(33)"Undetectable firearm" means any firearm that is not as detectable as 3.7 ounces of 17-4 PH stainless steel by walk-through metal detectors or magnetometers commonly used at airports or any firearm where the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or receiver of the firearm would not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the part when examined by the types of X-ray machines commonly used at airports.
Not sure some here understand that POLYMERE80 means that the Frame is Plastic.
You may IDENTIFY your weapon by engraving a mark on the plate but you cannot Register or Sell it.

So, Plastic Frame and about a half ounce of steel for the trigger assembly.
I have worked with Titanium and Hardcoat Anodized Aluminum slides...
They can be carried through a metal detector. I believe both are mostly invisible to x-ray.
Teflon is a scatterer so no Teflon in the Hardcoat.
Barrel for a G19 is about 1.5 oz Can also be Titanium but not recommended due to expansion.
Plastic Guide Rod
UPK < 1/2 oz

Steel slide you are good for the 3.7 minimum.
Otherwise.....

Umm. It is still legal to build your own firearms as of today, but the legislature is currently trying to change that. Some vendors will not ship to Wa. state since recent laws passed a few years back. But currently you can go to a gun shop like Rainier arms, buy a P80 kit then go home and build it. Not sure of all that stuff about how much metal firearms are required to have? Pretty sure that is the completed firearm not just the frame. But the portion that holds the trigger mechanism is the "firearm" and when bought from a manufacturer has a serial number. When you build your own it is up to you to put a serial number on it, along with the name of the builder and the city it was built in. I also believe it is unlawful to "transfer" ownership however you do (sell/gift/ect), without doing a transfer at an FFL, and that will also require a serial number. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a lot of false info here and if you dont know you should not give advice. I also am no lawyer, but I have personally done all that I said above, recently.

Happy shooting guys!

Last Edited:
Not sure some here understand that POLYMERE80 means that the Frame is Plastic.
You may IDENTIFY your weapon by engraving a mark on the plate but you cannot Register or Sell it.

So, Plastic Frame and about a half ounce of steel for the trigger assembly.
I have worked with Titanium and Hardcoat Anodized Aluminum slides...
They can be carried through a metal detector. I believe both are mostly invisible to x-ray.
Teflon is a scatterer so no Teflon in the Hardcoat.
Barrel for a G19 is about 1.5 oz Can also be Titanium but not recommended due to expansion.
Plastic Guide Rod
UPK < 1/2 oz

Steel slide you are good for the 3.7 minimum.
Otherwise.....

You are confusing what a manufacturer has to do and what a home builder has to do. Just because you build a gun doesnt make you a manufacturer.

Umm. It is still legal to build your own firearms as of today, but the legislature is currently trying to change that. Some vendors will not ship to Wa. state since 1639 passed a few years back. But currently you can go to a gun shop like Rainier arms, buy a P80 kit then go home and build it. Not sure of all that stuff about how much metal firearms are required to have? Pretty sure that is the completed firearm not just the frame. But the portion that holds the trigger mechanism is the "firearm" and when bought from a manufacturer has a serial number. When you build your own it is up to you to put a serial number on it, along with the name of the builder and the city it was built in. Since 1639 I also believe it is unlawful to "transfer" ownership however you do (sell/gift/ect), without doing a transfer at an FFL, and that will also require a serial number. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a lot of false info here and if you dont know you should not give advice. I also am no lawyer, but I have personally done all that I said above, recently.

Happy shooting guys!

594 was transfers, 1639 was semi auto rifles. You must be thinking of HB 1705 which prohibited building your own firearm for resale and prohibited undetectable firearms. "False info" and all.

This is the first I've ever heard of this.

1) Who voluntarily registers their firearms in the USA ?
Is that even possible ?

2) Last time I checked, you could sell a completed Polymer 80 as long as it had an engraved serial number.

Is that even possible ?

2) Last time I checked, you could sell a completed Polymer 80 as long as it had an engraved serial number.
Licensed manufacturers have to have a engrave steel plate with the serial numbers. In most states you dont have to do anything like that or have any serial numbers at all to do a private sale of a home made firearm that was not built to sell.

594 was transfers, 1639 was semi auto rifles. You must be thinking of HB 1705 which prohibited building your own firearm for resale and prohibited undetectable firearms. "False info" and all.

Thank you for the correction. I edited to not be False with the bill numbers that I dont remember, I do get confused as well.

Licensed manufacturers have to have a engrave steel plate with the serial numbers. In most states you dont have to do anything like that or have any serial numbers at all to do a private sale of a home made firearm that was not built to sell.
It stands to reason that if an FFL transfer is going to be done, then you would have to engrave a serial number.

Thats part of the new ATF rule that goes into effect in June. Its not just a serial number. To allow for tracing of a firearm they'll need to have the shop that does the engravings "makers" marks as well as they will be entering it into their bound books as the point of origin. Just having numbers on a gun is not the same thing as having traceable serial numbers.

If I take one of my 80% built guns and engrave a fake makers name ( or a real makers name just not associated with the gun like with a AK that has Yugoslavia Zastava on the rear sight block) and bogus numbers on it sure, the FFL holder could enter those into his books as a serial number but when the ATF recovers the gun from a crime scene and then call Zastava to do a trace they are going to get laughed at . They would have to contact every dealer for a trace to find the last buyer.

Last Edited:

Is that even possible ?

You may want to research that a little more.

Poly DOES have serialized models that can be registered but just because a serial is slapped on does not qualify it for FFL.
I have engraved IDENTITY marks on many plates but always explained that trying to sell it can get you 10 years.
Remember, the FFL has both the buyer AND seller info

Poly DOES have serialized models that can be registered but just because a serial is slapped on does not qualify it for FFL.
I have engraved IDENTITY marks on many plates but always explained that trying to sell it can get you 10 years.
What would you be getting 10 years for exactly?

Registered ?
Apparently we disagree on every point.
That's OK, carry on.

Illegal sale of a defaced firearm?
Illegal Gun Running...
Fraud on the FFL

I used to know the Federal Statute ...

If what you are saying is that you can sell it without an FFL, yes you can
But it is illegal and that is that.
You can build a gun from an 80% and sell it with no serial numbers in states that allow private sales. You cant build it for the purpose of sale but you can put whatever numbers you want on it. You cannot remove serial numbers but you certainly can put numbers on an 80% .

Umm. It is still legal to build your own firearms as of today, but the legislature is currently trying to change that.
and coming next summer, In June, the ATF will make it's final ruling on the definition of receiver over the AR lower problem and at the same time they will announce what their ruling on "ALL" 80% builds effecting an entire industry based on home building. It does not look good for the home builder on a Federal level.

Then in August of this year, they will make their final ruling on arm braces.

Illegal sale of a defaced firearm?
Illegal Gun Running...
Fraud on the FFL

I used to know the Federal Statute ...

If what you are saying is that you can sell it without an FFL, yes you can
But it is illegal and that is that.
If you are building with the intent of commerce, yes that is illegal. But if you build for your self and 2 or 3 years down the road you can sell it in states that allow private sale. Or you can horse trade it for something. 1 or 2 guns every couple years is not showing intent of commerce. If it was several a year then you would need a manufacturer's license, an FFL, number them all and record that to be a legal over the counter gun.

Last Edited:
You can build a gun from an 80% and sell it with no serial numbers in states that allow private sales. You cant build it for the purpose of sale but you can put whatever numbers you want on it. You cannot remove serial numbers but you certainly can put numbers on an 80% .
Thought we were discussing Washington.
This is not an argument - already bored.

If you are building with the intent of commerce, yes that is illegal. But if you build for your self and 2 or 3 years down the road you can sell it in states that allow private sale. Or you can horse trade it for something. 1 or 2 guns every couple years is not showing intent of commerce. If it was several a year then you would need a manufacturer's license, an FFL, number them all and record that to be a legal over the counter gun.
Dumbasses like this will get you locked up.
RUN FROM ADVISE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads