JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am getting ready to build out my first P80 g17 clone, and am curious as to what advice those more experienced than myself at it might have.
I have a complete slide to put together, as well as the frame, all parts are OEM except for the slide itself. Bought necessary tools for the channel liner and for proper sight installation, went with some Truglo sights instead of OEM.
What experience have you had?

Go slow and use a drill press for the pin holes if you got one.

Make sure to remove enough material where the recoil spring sits. I've had malfunctions due to the spring rubbing on my 17L build. Need to test it and see if I got that sorted out now.

IMHO, the P80 frames are way better than the glock gen 3+ frames. If you want a flared magwell there are 3D printable ones available. I can probably send you the file.

One tip: for removing the plastic tabs, it's far easier using close nips to cut them off instead of using the mill.
Another tip: for removing the material in the recoil spring area, a round file works great, just use masking tape to protect areas you don't want the file to grind.
Completing the P80's is so easy. Too easy IMO.

I've done 2 and they are the easiest builds I've ever done. I used no power tools at all for both. A pin vise for the holes, a pair of end cutters for the rails, and an exacto knife and files for the recoil spring channel.

Like gray goose said it is shockingly easy, don't even worry about it.

I'm most of the way done now. I had previously watched a lot of the marine gun builder vids, which are a great resource, especially in regards to expectation that some parts may be slightly out of spec. Slide is built, frame is drilled, just gotta put the guts in.
already trying to source parts for the next one.

Finished. 19F6082C-EE13-40A8-9F96-6120A5C180B1.jpeg 5609EDA4-9BF1-42CB-9926-9279132C0D97.jpeg 2E0AFB9E-6444-40B0-B182-06C76705FE6E.jpeg

I've done 2 and they are the easiest builds I've ever done. I used no power tools at all for both. A pin vise for the holes, a pair of end cutters for the rails, and an exacto knife and files for the recoil spring channel.

Like gray goose said it is shockingly easy, don't even worry about it.
I like the idea of the pin vise. I used a dremel at high rpm. Other than that, I used the same tools.
Edit:
I also used a sight pusher for the night sights. Built the slide as well.

I started another thread about some issues I am having with the firing pin when cycling snap caps.
more experienced folk please advise.

Go slow and use a drill press for the pin holes if you got one.

Make sure to remove enough material where the recoil spring sits. I've had malfunctions due to the spring rubbing on my 17L build. Need to test it and see if I got that sorted out now.

IMHO, the P80 frames are way better than the glock gen 3+ frames. If you want a flared magwell there are 3D printable ones available. I can probably send you the file.
Updating this thread, getting ready to start a 19 build.
I never did say thanks for the offer of the magwell file, unfortunately I don't have a 3D printer to utilize it.
Just got all the parts ordered, hoping for a speedy delivery.

Offer still stands. Let me know if you ever go much south and I'll print you one.

What are you plans for guts of your G19? I have a P80 G19 and a stripped slide to populate.

Offer still stands. Let me know if you ever go much south and I'll print you one.

What are you plans for guts of your G19? I have a P80 G19 and a stripped slide to populate.

Overwatch precision drop in TAC flat face trigger assembly, lone wolf guide rod. The slide will have a lone wolf spring and striker kit, and a TIN finished OEM barrel.

Last Edited:
Me? Never :rolleyes:

The 17 looks great.
It runs great too. I took it out to safefire on Friday for my first time shooting it. Put a few hundred through it. Runs like a typewriter. Smooth, consistent, accurate. The trigger pull is still pretty light in comparison to a glock, but a lot of that I think has to do with the flat trigger.

That's great and what I love about these builds, and the 19 should do just as well. For me they shoot better than OEM Glock, which could just be the grip angle. I have a couple of "big blocks" I'm working on now and having to whittle down the trigger housing is a PITA. They too run fantastic, but I'm chasing a light reset issue which probably relates to the whittling lol.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads