Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Polymer 80% AR-15 Lower Receiver, U-finish

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cpy911, Jun 19, 2013.

1. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

So, what do you think?

Polymer80 | AR Polymer 80% LowersPolymer80 - AR Polymer 80% Lowers | Polymer80

This guy says the molds are almost complete and is taking pre-orders. The jig and plastic lower are $100 shipped to your door.
    Hard to order something that does not exist, yet...the owner Loran has not seen these...nor tested them, but has spent the money on the molds. Molds like that could be 100K+ and he paid designers many man hours. The material he is using probably is a glass filled polymer for strength, but he says it is proprietary.

Epic fail? Epic win?

I am sure he will google this thread and make a comment here sooner than later.

You get an 80% polymer receiver that you use a one time use jig and tools to complete it with a drill. The jig allows for correct cutting and supposedly mistake proofs the finishing operations. The jig is sacrificed in doing this.

I am still thinking if one of the PSA blemished Aluminum lowers + shipping + FFL transfer ever comes in at less than $100 I am all over it...maybe never will happen though.
    So, thoughts???

2. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

What is the point in getting an 80% lower receiver? If it is to avoid having any record of the transaction, good luck. If your using a credit card to purchase it and your making posts on here, they already know. Hold on a minute I have to adjust my tin hat, okay that's better. There is restrictions on personally manufactured firearms, just buy an aluminum receiver put it together and have fun.

3. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

Or just go to Classic firearms and buy a complete polymer lower for $179

4. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

the only vague restriction is that you are not making them as a business, but to keep, sort of. The poly lower does not sound like a good idea though. built ar's from 80% alloy recievers before, it's the kind of thing a diehard hobbiest does. and it's kind of fun. it's a good start for getting into the world of building your own. whether the reciever is numbered or not is not a big deal to me, it's just getting it done and going to the range and shooting it.

5. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

You are correct, the restrictions are a little vague and require a little reading between the lines. You are correct about not being able to manufacture them to sell, however the part I was speaking of is the "personal use". If you look up the definition of personal use, it is basically treated as a NFA firearm. If you have any other info to the contrary, I would welcome it. I was going to buy and finsh a receiver myself until I read the personal use restriction.

6. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I fail to see the real advantage. If I was that worried about a piece of paper filed away at my "gun dealer" and or a background check phone call, I'd just buy a cheap aluminum 100% RTG one second hand. But then again I don't plan on committing any crime with one where the lack of serial number is a factor.....I wear a tin foil hat but It's not that big yet.

I will leave plastic for Glocks and toothbrushes.:)

7. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy a complete polymer lower in the first place.

8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Not an NFA firearm, call BATF, get a letter, or go to calguns and poke around, there is extensive "home built" experience there.
    As long as you build it in a configuration the does not fall into NFA territory (sbr, etc) you will not run afoul of the law.

If there is any mention of it in the NFA, I'm pretty sure it does not require "permission".

9. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

why would you buy a no name plastic lower for $179, hey I built a scrap car that looks like a bmw, its only $8,000 OBO, and I will sell you real looking, plastic dog sh#t for 20% off normal retail. hmmm?

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Not a fan of the polymer AR lower concept... I actually wouldn't even bother entering a contest to win one for free.... Meh.

11. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Neither would I.

12. funtukywindage

funtukywindage sherwood, OR Member

What about billet aluminum 80% receivers @ $200 with option of renting a self contained tool to complete said receiver for an additional $100 right here in the Portland area?

13. jluck

Humm a backyard bubblegum lower for more cost than a quality made finished lower just to avoid a serial number. ...I don't get it. No thanks.

14. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Can't you get a forged lower for about $200.00 ready for an LPK plus transfer fee these days?

Brutus Out

15. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

Yep, not sure why 80% lowers cost more than completed ones? Still trying to figure that out. Will wait for the PSA blemished $60 lowers to come back.

16. funtukywindage

funtukywindage sherwood, OR Member

I understand that there is no registration of firearms YET in Oregon. I also repeatedly see reported on the news "The last known owner...," or "...firearm used in the crime was purchased by..." So I know my information gets submitted somewhere, and I don't like that. I guess I am willing to pay the higher premium. What does a billet receiver go for now $150? Am I the only here that feels the same way?

17. jluck

I understand this methodology. If I was worried about such a thing I would just purchase a lower from a individual. I just have not got on the DIY bandwagon for critical rifle parts.

FWIW I sell tinfoil specifically for hat making, only 100.00 a square foot. ;)

18. bigdadytid

bigdadytid Vancouver, WA Member

its just plum crazy

19. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  20. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

at that price you may as well buy a lower.