JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
plastic magazines have come a long ways in recent years. I have recently switched over (happily) to PMAGS for my AR rifles and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the polymer AK-47 mags. I have been on the fence about trying Promag or bulgarian mags. are these worth the money? are what magazines are worth it?

The Bulgarian "waffle" mags are the standard for others to follow (my opinion)

haven't had any experiences with the promags but the tapco mags seem to be pretty ok (lifetime warranty) but they are tight in my NORINCO's.

SF-

I bought a Pro Mag for my AK about a year ago to see if it would hold up. 1000+ rounds later it is sill in great condition. I now have 7 in rotation and do not use my steel ones anymore.

Lefty.

Last Edited:
Here's a video of polymer AK mag drop tests, with a more detailed chart of results at the end. ProMag doesn't seem to do so well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQalsPMe3tY

I've used ProMags in both my 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 AK's. Had to do a bit of filing on the 5.45x39 just to get it to lock into place, but after that seemed to work just fine. No issues with durability, and both fed without issue.

I just ordered 3 Tapco mags, mostly because they were about $8.50 a piece on clearance (I bought the last 3 sorry :) ). The price was right and I'm willing to bet it will go bang.

plastic magazines have come a long ways in recent years. I have recently switched over (happily) to PMAGS for my AR rifles and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the polymer AK-47 mags. I have been on the fence about trying Promag or bulgarian mags. are these worth the money? are what magazines are worth it?

Tapco is a great option but you need to replace the springs in them.

They used to have great springs but they literally shortened them in half some time back. I got some and checked them, and sent them back because I didnt want the short springs, Ive heard they can cause feeding issues.

I have tapcoz and bulgys... both awesome. Have a couple pro mags... on one one of the feed ramps has cracked although it still feeds fine. I've found to get tje polys. to lock correctly I've had to gently recontour the tab... but its a small price to pay. You won't be dissapointed with the tapcos

The Bulgarian mags are what you want to spend your money on. As far as Pro-Mag is concerned, junk in my opinion. Cheap plastic and completely unreliable.

I have the Tapco ones for my AK and love them. They have worked great for the time I have had them. Plus for 10 bucks a mag you can not beat the price. Plus no grease and no rust if not greased:s0114:

I've never used tapco, but everything I've heard about promag was that they're hit or miss, and most are miss. I did have one of their 10/22 drums, and it was complete garbage.

I've got a 40rd bulgarian waffle mag, and although I haven't used it much, it's been 100%.

I've got one of the bulgarian slabside mags that's supposedly not as good, and it's been 100% as well, but I don't have many rounds through that one either.

Unless you plan on packing a bunch of them around with you where the weight savings would be beneficial, I can't see them being worth the extra cost over steel mags, unless you're buying the U.S. mags to be 922r compliant.

I just bought 10 of these for $23.99:

ee9647cc.jpg

From these guys: <broken link removed>

When I bought mine they where $23.99 and now they are $25.99. I never heard of the company but they were professional in their communication, they emailed the tracking #, they ship FEDEX and delivered on time. The mags were all wrapped in plastic and are beautiful. Highly recommend these guys. Great Price on the Bulgarian Waffle mags. Eventually some poser, patriot-for-profit, Kracker @$$ is going to come in and buy these guys out and will happily sell them to you for $40.00. If you are looking for the best poly AK mags get these.

SF-

The Bulgarian "waffle" mags are the standard for others to follow (my opinion)

haven't had any experiences with the promags but the tapco mags seem to be pretty ok (lifetime warranty) but they are tight in my NORINCO's.

SF-

I agree....I have 8 bulgarian waffle mags and they work perfectly.....:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews