JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will You Apply For Permit To Purchase If Measure 114 Withstands Legal Challenges And PTP Program Is

• No

Votes: 294 86.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 45 13.3%

• Total voters
I obviously don't know the final number of gun sales in Oregon for 2022, but I can't see it being beat for many years if ever. Because of the ridiculousness of the wording of 114 and the lack of urgency of the system to put a policy at work, many people saw no other choice than to double down on their gun purchases. In the end, that in itself may help 114 to backfire. Also it could help in language about common use guns and other areas in court.
2022 will definitely be hard year to beat for gun sale records. I was originally referring to if 114 passes. Gun sales in oregon will plummet if 114 passes lots of people will not get a permit, and the ones that do will have to take a class and what not.

Poll question in title, please vote no or yes.

If you vote no please share why and how you will fill the void of not being able to receive transfers of firearms through FFLs any longer.

If you voted yes, thanks for your time.
Since they included a gun registry in 114, it's a hard NO for me. My Ammo budget just got a lot bigger, lol

Another no-vote here, my profile picture is outdated, and I have many guns to keep me company. In the near term, I will focus on kitting out my AR, and then instead of collecting milsurps, I will be putting $$ aside for PVS14s. Overall though it will just be non-compliance. I'm still going to buy guns and I'm still going to CC with my current setup.

Will the Dems close the CHL loophole in 2023?

As it is currently written, BM114 has stricter requirements to get a Permit to Purchase a firearm than the current requirements to get a License to Carry a Handgun in public.

I can see the Dems wanting to close that loophole by requiring all new and renewing CHL applicants to first have a current Purchase Permit, thus forcing all of us into the publicly searchable database.

Will the Dems close the CHL loophole in 2023?

As it is currently written, BM114 has stricter requirements to get a Permit to Purchase a firearm than the current requirements to get a License to Carry a Handgun in public.

I can see the Dems wanting to close that loophole by requiring all new and renewing CHL applicants to first have a current Purchase Permit, thus forcing all of us into the publicly searchable database.
Only when they apply those same requirements to voting too, until then zero compliance.

To vote would then require:
1. Apply for a permit.
2. Take a class on the U.S. and State Constitutions.
3. Demonstrate you can read and cite the Constitutions.
4. Pass a drug test.
5. Show your I.D.

That should make things equal.

Only when they apply those same requirements to voting too, until then zero compliance.

1. Apply for a permit.
4. Pass a drug test.
5. Show your I.D.

6. In order for vote for measures that impact property taxes, you have to own property.

I am betting a lot more than 14% of members are going to get a permit if Measure 114 ever goes into effect. The lure of purchasing firearms from FFLs is a strong one. I would love to see sellers offering them up in parking lots but that is highly unlikely to happen with any regularity.

Man... that's a rought one. Sorry for your loss.

Along the same lines... I don't know if it's general or common policy in all LE department, or if it's part of every CHL class curriculum... but more than a minute back in time... when I took mine, the instructor was an off duty LEO. He told us that in his department, when doing a licence plate check, if a CHL popped on the screen officers were instructed to treat the encounter as a possible armed and dangerous. His instruction was to keep both hands on the wheel when officers approached, make no sudden movements and if you need to remove your hands from the wheel to verbally state to the officer what you plan to reach for and where before making any movement. It's best to wait for verbal confirmation/permission from the officer then move deliberately and slowly.

That sparked a bit of a discussion. So a CHL holder will be treated more cautiously than an average citizen... who might actually be armed and dangerous... but they just don't know about it? He pretty much said that he knew it wasn't "fair", but that's just the way it is. If they know a firearm may be present, it's only natural they are going to be concerned for their safety and follow a hieghtened approach protocol.

I've never been pulled over to know if that's actually true, but it stuck with me. I always planned to follow his advice just out of common sense and make any encounter as low stress as possible for both parties involved, but makes you think.

If it is true... I can only imagine that increasing the database to include not just CHL holders but anyone that has a purchase permit, even if they haven't even bought a firearm yet... can't be a good idea.

Not the sole reason to avoid the registry, but PrDubi's post sparked that recollection of mine and thought I would share at least one practical reason it might not be too desireable.

It might seem to increase the odds of a bad encounter if an officer is approaching more folks on "high alert" and misinterpreting a movement or action.

Point to ponder....
Prior to retirement I worked for several law enforcement agencies. None of them had a policy that referenced CHL holders and how they should be treated on a traffic stop.

Personally, when I pulled someone over that had a CHL I presumed that person to be a good citizen. However was very aware that there was probably a firearm in the vehicle. Also I wouldn't want anyone reaching around inside the car and was very aware of where they were reaching and what they were reaching for on any traffic stop. Same as a pedestrian contact by not allowing someone to dig around in their pockets with me patting them down first. That's just officer safety 101.

My point being that officers should be on high alert during any encounter. But there is a way to do it without being demeaning and unprofessional.

I am betting a lot more than 14% of members are going to get a permit if Measure 114 ever goes into effect. The lure of purchasing firearms from FFLs is a strong one. I would love to see sellers offering them up in parking lots but that is highly unlikely to happen with any regularity.
It would require a lot more funding from the state to hire armed teams to follow and arrest parking lot deals. Of course cases like the 18yo girl who fired a gun at the Gresham party that had the gun charges dropped, don't apply here. She, reported, illegally got her gun from the internet. No FFL.

Tax money is the piggy bank of political folly. There is always money for stunts.

1. Apply for a permit.
4. Pass a drug test.
5. Show your I.D.

Yea it's a great analogy you made there. Could apply to any of the other rights. Fe you have right to free speech if you have proven you have the correct political leanings! You have the right to practice religion as long as you have signed up and your religion is on the approved list. Some of these legislators are bonkers! The purpose of these rights is to protect individual citizens from government control/restriction!

Just imagine/think about how far we've come?.....

Paying for permission to buy a F/A firearm, suppressor or short barrel rifle?

Paying for permission/a permit to buy any firearm?

Aloha, Mark

Speaking of....
It's not that they don't vote, but rather it is who counts the votes.

Might I offer?
1672094626000.png

Aloha, Mark

Not me no way the can kiss the place were i sit .I have more than enough but not all i want. And when someone gets attached i will just look away. You get what you asked for.

Just imagine/think about how far we've come?.....

Paying for permission to buy a F/A firearm, suppressor or short barrel rifle?

Paying for permission/a permit to buy any firearm?

Aloha, Mark
And, ironically, the SBR Form 1 I submitted last week might come back approved sooner than the BGCs currently in-que for normal firearms with the State of Oregon. o_O

-E-

I voted "Yes" only because I want to purchase more firearms and I don't have access to a 3D printer.

I will have to look more into options like legally purchasing in other states.

Open to other suggestions as well, I'm new to acquiring firearms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top