JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will You Apply For Permit To Purchase If Measure 114 Withstands Legal Challenges And PTP Program Is

• No

Votes: 294 86.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 45 13.3%

• Total voters
As I am writing this post, the percentage of no votes is about 88.5%. I was talking to a gal the other day and sharing the percentages of this poll and she is calling BS with the numbers. She thinks that many of those who said they won't get a permit, will get a permit. I am thinking she might right. If measure 114 holds up it will be interesting to see how may people change their mind.
I am not sticking around to purchase it, and I also have a lifetime supply of arms

Don't live in OR but the way this is going I can easily see it coming to WA. If they decide we need some version of a FOID card here I will go get one just like I keep a permit to carry. Will I like it? No.
We don't have this but that last Washington initiative that passed included a database of new gun sales / purchasers.

I sadly was on a database for California when I registered my so-called assault weapons.

It resulted in my aunt dying of a stroke while the ambulance waited and it got me detained in an LAPD squad car.
When I saw the computer screen up front , it showed my name and various firearms and in big bold letters.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE PREMISES.
LAPD had to search my safe before allowing LAFD to enter my house. My aunt died that day when seconds count.

While I do have NFAs...it's private information and it isn't abused like the state system does.
OSP shares your information internationally also. I entered Canada and they had on their database that I have a CCW.

When I renewed my teaching license for TSPC , they don't show what firearms I bought but it does show HITS...OFF said there is nothing they can do about it and not to worry. But it does raise eyebrows at this agency when they see someone with a lot of hits. It basically means they did a records check when I buy a firearm.

For now...no more...no thanks.

I sadly was on a database for California when I registered my so-called assault weapons.

It resulted in my aunt dying of a stroke while the ambulance waited and it got me detained in an LAPD squad car.
When I saw the computer screen up front , it showed my name and various firearms and in big bold letters.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE PREMISES.
LAPD had to search my safe before allowing LAFD to enter my house. My aunt died that day when seconds count.

While I do have NFAs...it's private information and it isn't abused like the state system does.
OSP shares your information internationally also. I entered Canada and they had on their database that I have a CCW.

When I renewed my teaching license for TSPC , they don't show what firearms I bought but it does show HITS...OFF said there is nothing they can do about it and not to worry. But it does raise eyebrows at this agency when they see someone with a lot of hits. It basically means they did a records check when I buy a firearm.

For now...no more...no thanks.
Man... that's a rought one. Sorry for your loss.

Along the same lines... I don't know if it's general or common policy in all LE department, or if it's part of every CHL class curriculum... but more than a minute back in time... when I took mine, the instructor was an off duty LEO. He told us that in his department, when doing a licence plate check, if a CHL popped on the screen officers were instructed to treat the encounter as a possible armed and dangerous. His instruction was to keep both hands on the wheel when officers approached, make no sudden movements and if you need to remove your hands from the wheel to verbally state to the officer what you plan to reach for and where before making any movement. It's best to wait for verbal confirmation/permission from the officer then move deliberately and slowly.

That sparked a bit of a discussion. So a CHL holder will be treated more cautiously than an average citizen... who might actually be armed and dangerous... but they just don't know about it? He pretty much said that he knew it wasn't "fair", but that's just the way it is. If they know a firearm may be present, it's only natural they are going to be concerned for their safety and follow a hieghtened approach protocol.

I've never been pulled over to know if that's actually true, but it stuck with me. I always planned to follow his advice just out of common sense and make any encounter as low stress as possible for both parties involved, but makes you think.

If it is true... I can only imagine that increasing the database to include not just CHL holders but anyone that has a purchase permit, even if they haven't even bought a firearm yet... can't be a good idea.

Not the sole reason to avoid the registry, but PrDubi's post sparked that recollection of mine and thought I would share at least one practical reason it might not be too desireable.

It might seem to increase the odds of a bad encounter if an officer is approaching more folks on "high alert" and misinterpreting a movement or action.

Point to ponder....

No. Just remember the character, truthfulness, ethics, public statements of the promoters and the government officials that supported 114. In addition,. remember the truthfulness of the newly elected in Salem while overtly misleading the public. This is not an administration nor their associates that are friendly to law abiding gun owners, but are friendly with criminals and weird people that they identify with and advance their devious causes. No.

No. Just remember the character, truthfulness, ethics, public statements of the promoters and the government officials that supported 114. In addition,. remember the truthfulness of the newly elected in Salem while overtly misleading the public. This is not an administration nor their associates that are friendly to law abiding gun owners, but are friendly with criminals and weird people that they identify with and advance their devious causes. No.
I forget but was there not a guy in Germany in WW 2 that did the same? And, recently with the Aussie's and the people up north.

There's nothing I need. Want, sure. But nothing I need. They can shove the permitting process up their collective a$$es. I'll support my local dealers through other means, whether it means I have to become a gear queer or just pay a little more for ammo.

I'm befuddled that there is a double digit quantity of folks that will comply with the permitting system.... :s0001:
Remember, a lot of people doubled and tripled down on purchasing before the 8th. Overall gun prices have not been bad. So, many have no need to immediately jump through any hoops.

They also don't realize that, by refusing to get a permit, they are giving the antis exactly what they wanted: no gun sales in Oregon. So the antis and LEVO win.
Not really. Gun sales at a record low no one is applying for a permit..... why is there so much gun violence still? They keep coming after our rights and keep promoting drugs and homeless ticking time bomb

I have been on the fence. As a dealer I need to be able to help my customers navigate the process. But, also as a dealer, I don't need one as my company can order as needed.
At the same time, I'll just wait to see what the judicial system does.

I wont be buying or selling anything in Oregon if the law sticks. My 5yr plan (2 hopefully) is idaho, and in the mean time I will get Idaho drivers license and mailing address.

I feel sorry for any gun owner who stays in Oregon if this law sticks. the permit process and hoops you will be jumping through are only going to get higher, so stretch and by stretch I mean bend over Mfer and take what the state gives you.

No - hell no …..f@ck no !
I will not comply!
I will never have enough firearms, but I will not bend to tyranny to get more.

When guns are outlawed then I will become an OUTLAW!!!

That's certainly one way to look at it, but by no means the only way and others may view it differently.

I think some that don't plan to comply are trying to be optimistic that even if enacted the law will not stand for long under challenge. It might take awhile, but complying with a registry now, when it's a temporary situation, doesn't make good sense. Once you're on it, no take backsees and the anti's win, in part.

If it holds true then It's not really a win for the antis. We still own firearms and excercise our rights... and we didn't let them trap us into their registry.

There's more than one way to look at it.
I will point out that California's AW and magazine lawsuits have been going on for over 20 years now. While I pray these will come to a favorable conclusion for us, I also believe the state will appeal again and again just to delay a final decision.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top