JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will You Apply For Permit To Purchase If Measure 114 Withstands Legal Challenges And PTP Program Is

• No

Votes: 294 86.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 45 13.3%

• Total voters
I don't want to throw up too many red flags and draw too much unwanted attention, but seeing how the cat is already out of the bag, to a degree... along with the proliferation of PP sales/purchases... I think there is going to be an explosion in the PMF markets. As restrictive states just get more and more over the top with their woke agenda's more and more that wish to remain full on law abiding will seek out alternatives to PP sales or governmental controls.

If you look back just a short 5-7 years ago, the selection of 80% frames and receivers was fairly limited. Parts kits and such were also more of a niche thing. Those folk delving in back then often needed to know what was required and order parts one by one. We've also seen a large number of retailers supporting that market come online.

Now days, the selection of build options is much greater and, IMHO, I think it will rapidily increase as more and more folks are pushed out of traditional means of aquiring a firearm. With that progress too, the materials and processes have been refined to where it's not only easier to do, but the final products are nearly as reliable and accurate as a store bought. For those with more expertise, they can even surpass mainstream mfg'ers mass produced products.

The nutshell: Comply/submit to gooberment control... OR.... be a criminal are not the only 2 options. A purchase permit scheme... that's certainly a catalyst for even more to make the PMF plunge.

Last Edited:
NO I will not. I have why more guns than i need but not as many as i want. I refuse to pay for a right. I have been shooting my whole life and buying guns for most of it so i can get buy without anymore. Yesterday i stopped a sale of a new 10mm that was waiting to clear the background check because it would not clear in time. I told the gun shop owner i would not play the states game and he understood.This really pissed me off though i really wanted that gun.

As I am writing this post, the percentage of no votes is about 88.5%. I was talking to a gal the other day and sharing the percentages of this poll and she is calling BS with the numbers. She thinks that many of those who said they won't get a permit, will get a permit. I am thinking she might right. If measure 114 holds up it will be interesting to see how may people change their mind.

Last Edited:
As I am writing this post, the percentage of no votes is about 88.5%. I was talking to a gal the other day and sharing the percentages of this poll and she is calling BS with the numbers. She thinks that many of those who said they won't get a permit will get a permit. I am thinking she might right. If measure 114 holds up it will be interesting to see how may people change their mind.
Well... you really have to take into account WHO you're asking that make up that 88.5%. Personally, I don't think it's really all that far off the mark when you consider who it is that's responding to it.

Typically more established/mature folks that own multiple firearms, dont purchase out of need so much as just a want, etc etc. It's not at all unrealistic that we'll just decide we have enough and the cost to complying is simply too great.

I mean, take 941 as a practical example that isn't especially all that restrictive/prohibitive in nature. It sure did cool off a lot of gun sales though!

Me personally, I see guns I would "like" to have, but when I consider a 4473 I have always decided... "I don't need it and I don't really want it that much." Even if you make an exception post 941 because you just want it too much... now having to jump for a permit... there is no firearm I need or can't live without that's going to make it worth a permit.

I hardly think I'm a rare breed in that opinion or situation in life. Not within the NWFA community, anyway.

If you think about it...that's kinda like going to an Amish womens bible study class and asking them if they will strip for money... then calling BS when 9 out of 10 say "NO". 🤣

For those that keep saying, "people are just talking big but will cave"... IMHO... those folks already know they will comply. It just makes makes them feel better about themselves to believe everyone else is going to cave, too. Human nature can be funny that way.

Just sayin....

Last Edited:
Looks to be pretty seamless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anticipated steps in the Permit to Purchase Application Process:

1. The applicant is responsible for completing a certified firearm safety course and obtaining proof of completion.
  2. The applicant submits a completed Permit to Purchase application and proof of completion of an approved safety course to a Permit Agent which is defined as a local Police Department or Sheriff's Office.
  3. The Permit Agent will review documents and if applicable, <--- they will collect the required fees, take a photograph of the applicant, and obtain fingerprints.
  4. The Permit Agent will do an initial review of the application packet for possible disqualifiers, before submitting the packet to the Oregon State Police for a national and state background check.
  5. The application and fingerprints are submitted to Oregon State Police for a comprehensive background check.
  6. Oregon State Police will run the background check and respond to the Permit Agent with a qualified or disqualified after all research is complete.
  7. The Permit Agent makes the final decision to issue a Permit to Purchase or deny the applicant which must be completed within 30 days of the response from the Oregon State Police's background check.

I don't want to throw up too many red flags and draw too much unwanted attention, but seeing how the cat is already out of the bag, to a degree... along with the proliferation of PP sales/purchases... I think there is going to be an explosion in the PMF markets. As restrictive states just get more and more over the top with their woke agenda's more and more that wish to remain full on law abiding will seek out alternatives to PP sales or governmental controls.

If you look back just a short 5-7 years ago, the selection of 80% frames and receivers was fairly limited. Parts kits and such were also more of a niche thing. Those folk delving in back then often needed to know what was required and order parts one by one. We've also seen a large number of retailers supporting that market come online.

Now days, the selection of build options is much greater and, IMHO, I think it will rapidily increase as more and more folks are pushed out of traditional means of aquiring a firearm. With that progress too, the materials and processes have been refined to where it's not only easier to do, but the final products are nearly as reliable and accurate as a store bought. For those with more expertise, they can even surpass mainstream mfg'ers mass produced products.

The nutshell: Comply/submit to gooberment control... OR.... be a criminal are not the only 2 options. A purchase permit scheme... that's certainly a catalyst for even more to make the PMF plunge.
I started a ruger mark 1/standard build. I intended to buy a ruger style target pistol. but 114 past & I refuse to get that fancy permit. So I looked up the receiver dimensions and bought a grip frame from gun broker and yea I'll have a ruger standard soon enough.

Last Edited:
Well... you really have to take into account WHO you're asking that make up that 88.5%. Personally, I don't think it's really all that far off the mark when you consider who it is that's responding to it.

Typically more established/mature folks that own multiple firearms, dont purchase out of need so much as just a want, etc etc. It's not at all unrealistic that we'll just decide we have enough and the cost to complying is simply too great.

I mean, take 941 as a practical example that isn't especially all that restrictive/prohibitive in nature. It sure did cool off a lot of gun sales though!

Me personally, I see guns I would "like" to have, but when I consider a 4473 I have always decided... "I don't need it and I don't really want it that much." Even if you make an exception post 941 because you just want it too much... now having to jump for a permit... there is no firearm I need or can't live without that's going to make it worth a permit.

I hardly think I'm a rare breed in that opinion or situation in life. Not within the NWFA community, anyway.
I agree with you in part, as I am buying what I want not what I need. However I know there a lot of firearms owners who talk the talk but don't walk the walk when push comes to shove. I guarantee you that when the want overcomes the urge to resist a lot of people who said no on here are gonna permit up.. I always hear a lot of "don't tread on me", but don't see much action to back it up.

I agree with you in part, as I am buying what I want not what I need. However I know there a lot of firearms owners who talk the talk but don't walk the walk when push comes to shove. I guarantee you that when the want overcomes the urge to resist a lot of people who said no on here are gonna permit up.. I always here a lot of "don't tread on me", but don't see much action to back it up.
They also don't realize that, by refusing to get a permit, they are giving the antis exactly what they wanted: no gun sales in Oregon. So the antis and LEVO win.

They also don't realize that, by refusing to get a permit, they are giving the antis exactly what they wanted: no gun sales in Oregon. So the antis and LEVO win.
True, just think about what it would look like if 80% of Oregonians stopped buying firearms! Not to mention this is just an appetizer of what's to come in the future. Now that they know they can pass anything, next they will come after the MSR and semi autos they will be coming after ammunition putting purchase limits on us. And MSR's will either be banned or be featureless and require a takedown to pull the mag out just like California requires.

That's certainly one way to look at it, but by no means the only way and others may view it differently.

I think some that don't plan to comply are trying to be optimistic that even if enacted the law will not stand for long under challenge. It might take awhile, but complying with a registry now, when it's a temporary situation, doesn't make good sense. Once you're on it, no take backsees and the anti's win, in part.

If it holds true then It's not really a win for the antis. We still own firearms and excercise our rights... and we didn't let them trap us into their registry.

There's more than one way to look at it.

Earlier I answered that I didn't really know my answer to the poll. I'm not young, have enough guns to "get by", and have no plans to obtain more. Well, as the New Year approaches, here's an example of why I don't really know for sure. I was just thumbing through the 2023 Oregon Hunters Association Gun-Day Monday Calendar. Just as an example, on January 2nd the prize is an antique Sharps Model 1853 Slanting Breech Sporting Rifle with a FMV of $3,487.82. Like I'm gonna walk away from that? If my number comes up I'll be on here posting: "FORGIVE ME MY FELLOW MEMBERS, FOR I HAVE SINNED!" :s0152:

On March 27th they're giving away a Ruger 10/22 with a FMV of $499. That probably wouldn't get me excited enough to jump through the hoops.

Last Edited:
For those of you wanting to get a permit, the application is now up on the OSP web site. Press the "Permit To Purchase Application" button to get the form. Good luck getting the demonstration component of the training and then finding an agent to take photo and fingerprints, and send the package to OSP.

Looks to be pretty seamless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anticipated steps in the Permit to Purchase Application Process:

1. The applicant is responsible for completing a certified firearm safety course and obtaining proof of completion.
  2. The applicant submits a completed Permit to Purchase application and proof of completion of an approved safety course to a Permit Agent which is defined as a local Police Department or Sheriff's Office.
  3. The Permit Agent will review documents and if applicable, <--- they will collect the required fees, take a photograph of the applicant, and obtain fingerprints.
  4. The Permit Agent will do an initial review of the application packet for possible disqualifiers, before submitting the packet to the Oregon State Police for a national and state background check.
  5. The application and fingerprints are submitted to Oregon State Police for a comprehensive background check.
  6. Oregon State Police will run the background check and respond to the Permit Agent with a qualified or disqualified after all research is complete.
  7. The Permit Agent makes the final decision to issue a Permit to Purchase or deny the applicant which must be completed within 30 days of the response from the Oregon State Police's background check.
I think the people who say yes don't get where the no voter comes from. It's not a gun issue. It's a rights issue. No matter how you swing it, there's a number of people that can't agree to giving authority where it's not warranted. I'm not going to ask my neighbor if I can pee because he doesn't have the authority and it's none of his business. Oregon has already overreached enough (and we now have more shootings than ever) and as one of the LEVO ministers crying on the news says, this is just a start. If you haven't heard that with every other measure or attempt, you sadly aren't paying attention.

Prior to 114 the state didn't have the authority to do what it's trying to do. Why give them power they don't have when they have proven their gun control laws don't work? Do we have more shootings or less shootings now?

For those of you wanting to get a permit, the application is now up on the OSP web site. Press the "Permit To Purchase Application" button to get the form. Good luck getting the demonstration component of the training and then finding an agent to take photo and fingerprints, and send the package to OSP.
Lovely!
1670518517007.png

MAY issue... right on the application. 👍

(Funny. Anyone notice they posted the appliction where their "employment application" used to be? So well organized! ;))

It's not like it makes any difference to anybody or anything if you refuse to get a permit. I sure as heck wouldn't stop buying guns, I'd just keep sending more money to FPC and SAF.

I think the people who say yes don't get where the no voter comes from. It's not a gun issue. It's a rights issue. No matter how you swing it, there's a number of people that can't agree to giving authority where it's not warranted. I'm not going to ask my neighbor if I can pee because he doesn't have the authority and it's none of his business. Oregon has already overreached enough (and we now have more shootings than ever) and as one of the LEVO ministers crying on the news says, this is just a start. If you haven't heard that with every other measure or attempt, you sadly aren't paying attention.

Prior to 114 the state didn't have the authority to do what it's trying to do. Why give them power they don't have when they have proven their gun control laws don't work? Do we have more shootings or less shootings now?
I don't think it's constitutional to require CHL to carry, yet lots of members here got them?

that's kinda like going to an Amish womens bible study class and asking them if they will strip for money... then calling BS when 9 out of 10 say "NO".
Mmm, mmm...Comparing fire arm owners/enthusiasts with Amish women? That's a first I think? :s0020:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top