JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Type Of Argument Do You Make To Middle 20% In Support Of Gun Rights.

• Total voters
Lets try and keep the conversation civil here...
If one thinks that a thread is redundant or not having a "point"...Then often its best to say nothing at all.
Lets all remember Rule Number One please...Be excellent to each other.

To answer the OP...
I , Like Joe Friday , try to stick to "Just the facts"....:D
Ask the other person questions , like Why do you think / feel / know this to be true , type questions...
Try to understand their experience or lack thereof , with firearms...
When answering or debating , I try to attack the position , not the person...

And with that said...
Its important to remember :
"What we got here is failure to communicate ...Some men you just can't reach"....
Andy

Lets try and keep the conversation civil here...
If one thinks that a thread is redundant or not having a "point"...Then often its best to say nothing at all.
Lets all remember Rule Number One please...Be excellent to each other.

To answer the OP...
I , Like Joe Friday , try to stick to "Just the facts"....:D
Ask the other person questions , like Why do you think / feel / know this to be true , type questions...
Try to understand their experience or lack thereof , with firearms...
When answering or debating , I try to attack the position , not the person...

And with that said...
Its important to remember :
"What we got here is failure to communicate ...Some men you just can't reach"....
Andy

Hence the choice I posited.... it's "universal terminology". ;):D

It looks like a more fact based argument is leading the poll by 10 to 0 over a more emotional argument. It will be interesting to see if more fact based protest signs appear at the Defend The 2nd" rally on March 23rd. I've never been to a rally but I think I'll go to this one.

Why no poll option for "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"?

No but on the real I use reported incidents and hands on demos and explaining some of the laws we have. That usually clears it up for most.

I did not vote as I honestly dont think we have enough voice to change matters. I think Politicians will do whatever their lord and masters tell them to do and that aint us anymore.
I dont think giving them fact and figures will help much when the other side screams and protests and causes disruptions.
I remember the old saying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, well we need to squeak alot more.

In today's climate you need both arguments. I typically will mix legal/philosophical arguments with appeals to emotion and the listener's (hopefully) innate sense of justice and fairness. A close reading of the Constitution and statistics are well and good and should make up a good part of the package.

Then I follow with appeal to emotion, such as:
"I'm gay so I know what it's like to be a target of hate but now I conceal carry every day and I never feel like a potential victim. Armed queers don't get bashed! Now some people are trying to turn me into a helpless victim again and I'm fighting them every step of the way."

The second part usually resonates more with fair-minded & open minded people than just abstract arguments alone. Seeing a "nice" non-threatening gun guy argue the point in person in a friendly, reasonable, and personal way goes much farther than either eye-glazing statistics or in-your-face angry protests, I think.

I would welcome a chance to get a "Middle of the road " Legislator out to the range or to one of my displays.
I could then both "show and tell " using both facts and my love of guns and history ... to try and get some points across...
Andy

Is the inalienable right to keep and bear arms, our second right guaranteed by the Constitution, an "emotional argument"? Seems fairly "rational" to me.
It's rational to me but I also believe there should be no restrictions on firearms. Selling that concept to others seems problematic these days. We have a sizeable percentage of the population who don't share the same belief. Convincing some might be better done with reasons why having the right to defend themselves and others would be advantageous.

I would welcome a chance to get a "Middle of the road " Legislator out to the range or to one of my displays.
I could then both "show and tell " using both facts and my love of guns and history ... to try and get some points across...
Andy

We had that idea at LGC and asked.Word is some legislators would maybe go for it. It would have to be very well supervised and without potential political blowback. Low key and fun, ideally.
Not overtly political, just "guns are fun...and safe"

You doing something like that with your muskets would be even better!

@HuckleberryFun ...Thanks...!

I try not to get too political when showing my display...but when I do , I mostly try and push these ideas :

That guns , by themselves , are very safe...is the operator that can be unsafe...

The History behind firearms in America...

That there is no difference between the oldest flintlock rifle that I have and the latest AR15 type rifle...both are rifles and subject to the same safety rules...

Firearms have been with us for a long time...maybe its time to stop looking at the gun as the problem and start looking at the people who misuse them , as the problem...

Muzzleoaders can be a work of art and a working firearm...
Andy

True or false? The 2nd A of the US Constitution says...….

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable."

Aloha, Mark

The poll is a good one, and many are one of the three.
Which adds to the complications, of rational debates.

There is a saying tread lightly... all these great ideas, are awesome to see, even LGC getting involved is great to see.
But lets make sure we cross T's and dot those I's . I know I would capitalize on any weakness. Lets be sure
we look at this idea and others from all sides. Politics is a game to most politicians. I don't care how much they say they support your idea. Most will drop you like a hot rock if it benefited them, and would use all the nice information against us.

Been there, done that .....be careful, even a unicorn has a deadly horn.

True or false? The 2nd A of the US Constitution says...….

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable."

Aloha, Mark
True. Now try to get a true or false answer as to which is the correct interpretation of those words. From judges to politicians to everyday Joes you will find varying degrees of what the 2nd means to them. In my mind it is pretty wide open, no infringement period. Many others will disagree. How to convince them otherwise is the goal. Or just ignore them for as long as you can.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top