National Poll: What Argument Do You Use To Persuade Middle 20% Of Legislators To Support Gun Rights?

Discussion in 'Firearm Legislation & Activism' started by arakboss, Feb 2, 2019.

What Type Of Argument Do You Make To Middle 20% In Support Of Gun Rights.

1. A More Rational Argument Based On Facts, Stats, Current Culture.

83.9%
  2. Emotional Argument based On Feelings, Historical Precedent, Inalienable Right Argument, Etc.

12.5%
  3. Why bother with either, my couch is comfy and there is always a game on.

3.6%
  1. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

We likely have at least 40% of legislators who are hard left or hard right in their posititions. What type of argument do you use for that middle 20%?

NW Backpacker likes this.
  2. Stomper

Stomper
    Plata O Plomo....
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter 2018 Volunteer

You left out the choice of: “there isn’t enough security in the world to keep me from getting at you while you sleep”.

;):D

3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter

Lets try and keep the conversation civil here...
    If one thinks that a thread is redundant or not having a "point"...Then often its best to say nothing at all.
    Lets all remember Rule Number One please...Be excellent to each other.

To answer the OP...
    I , Like Joe Friday , try to stick to "Just the facts"....:D
    Ask the other person questions , like Why do you think / feel / know this to be true , type questions...
    Try to understand their experience or lack thereof , with firearms...
    When answering or debating , I try to attack the position , not the person...

And with that said...
    Its important to remember :
    "What we got here is failure to communicate ...Some men you just can't reach"....
    Andy

4. Stomper

Stomper
    Plata O Plomo....
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Hence the choice I posited.... it’s “universal terminology”. ;):D

5. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon

It looks like a more fact based argument is leading the poll by 10 to 0 over a more emotional argument. It will be interesting to see if more fact based protest signs appear at the Defend The 2nd" rally on March 23rd. I've never been to a rally but I think I'll go to this one.

NW Backpacker likes this.
  6. NW Backpacker

NW Backpacker
    In the hills
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Is the inalienable right to keep and bear arms, our second right guaranteed by the Constitution, an "emotional argument"? Seems fairly "rational" to me.

7. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Regarding post # 5
    It is rational , the trouble is people's varied definitions of :
    Arms...
    Militia...
    Regulated...
    Infringed...
    And that pesky comma ...
    Andy

8. E4mafia

E4mafia
    super secret

Why no poll option for "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"?

No but on the real I use reported incidents and hands on demos and explaining some of the laws we have. That usually clears it up for most.

9. mrblond

mrblond
    Salem OR

I did not vote as I honestly dont think we have enough voice to change matters. I think Politicians will do whatever their lord and masters tell them to do and that aint us anymore.
    I dont think giving them fact and figures will help much when the other side screams and protests and causes disruptions.
    I remember the old saying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, well we need to squeak alot more.

10. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun
    Portland, OR.
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

In today’s climate you need both arguments. I typically will mix legal/philosophical arguments with appeals to emotion and the listener’s (hopefully) innate sense of justice and fairness. A close reading of the Constitution and statistics are well and good and should make up a good part of the package.

Then I follow with appeal to emotion, such as:
    “I’m gay so I know what it’s like to be a target of hate but now I conceal carry every day and I never feel like a potential victim. Armed queers don’t get bashed! Now some people are trying to turn me into a helpless victim again and I’m fighting them every step of the way.”

The second part usually resonates more with fair-minded & open minded people than just abstract arguments alone. Seeing a “nice” non-threatening gun guy argue the point in person in a friendly, reasonable, and personal way goes much farther than either eye-glazing statistics or in-your-face angry protests, I think.

11. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

I would welcome a chance to get a "Middle of the road " Legislator out to the range or to one of my displays.
    I could then both "show and tell " using both facts and my love of guns and history ... to try and get some points across...
    Andy

KKG, Pete F, partsed and 1 other person like this.
  12. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon

It's rational to me but I also believe there should be no restrictions on firearms. Selling that concept to others seems problematic these days. We have a sizeable percentage of the population who don't share the same belief. Convincing some might be better done with reasons why having the right to defend themselves and others would be advantageous.

13. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun
    Portland, OR.
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

We had that idea at LGC and asked.Word is some legislators would maybe go for it. It would have to be very well supervised and without potential political blowback. Low key and fun, ideally.
    Not overtly political, just “guns are fun...and safe”

You doing something like that with your muskets would be even better!

14. tkdguy

tkdguy
    Portland, Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I think alot of these dems are feeling oriented and not fact oriented.

Pete F and partsed like this.
  15. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

@HuckleberryFun ...Thanks...!

I try not to get too political when showing my display...but when I do , I mostly try and push these ideas :

That guns , by themselves , are very safe...is the operator that can be unsafe...

The History behind firearms in America...

That there is no difference between the oldest flintlock rifle that I have and the latest AR15 type rifle...both are rifles and subject to the same safety rules...

Firearms have been with us for a long time...maybe its time to stop looking at the gun as the problem and start looking at the people who misuse them , as the problem...

Muzzleoaders can be a work of art and a working firearm...
    Andy

HuckleberryFun likes this.
  16. ma96782

ma96782
    Vancouver, WA

True or false? The 2nd A of the US Constitution says...….

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable."

Aloha, Mark

17. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

The poll is a good one, and many are one of the three.
    Which adds to the complications, of rational debates.

There is a saying tread lightly... all these great ideas, are awesome to see, even LGC getting involved is great to see.
    But lets make sure we cross T's and dot those I's . I know I would capitalize on any weakness. Lets be sure
    we look at this idea and others from all sides. Politics is a game to most politicians. I don't care how much they say they support your idea. Most will drop you like a hot rock if it benefited them, and would use all the nice information against us.

Been there, done that .....be careful, even a unicorn has a deadly horn.

partsed likes this.
  18. surevaliance

surevaliance
    Auburn WA

I always try to use rational arguments when I speak with hoplophobes, but apparently they don’t speak that language.

DuneHopper likes this.
  19. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon

True. Now try to get a true or false answer as to which is the correct interpretation of those words. From judges to politicians to everyday Joes you will find varying degrees of what the 2nd means to them. In my mind it is pretty wide open, no infringement period. Many others will disagree. How to convince them otherwise is the goal. Or just ignore them for as long as you can.

20. notazombie

notazombie
    Sweet freedom!

Honestly, I'm tired of debating and trying to reason. Guess I'm as bad as "they" are.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  21. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

It can be disheartening , when , just about all one hears and sees on various media , is the extreme view of either side.
    Often as well , the way folks present themselves can be off putting or destroy the message before its even sent out there.

Those folks who wore vaginas hats , may have been in the minority , but were , almost all that were seen at various protests and such...
    The same goes for a 2nd Amendment Rally...the people the media will focus on , will be those that fit the media stereotype.

Yes I know that I wear silly clothes , when attending a rendezvous and putting on a firearm display...I have even been in newspapers and on TV wearing the same...But at other times and places , when giving a talk or display , its a clean flannel shirt and slightly faded jeans.

How we present ourselves can radically affect , how or even if our message is received.
    Also how we present ourselves , can be seen as how all gun owners act and think.

Just finding someone from the other side of the fence , who is actually willing to listen and discuss ideas is tough enough...
    No sense wrecking it , with a bad approach , before anything even begins.

As for myself and "Compromise" ...The last time I checked , compromise is when both sides of an issue give up something to meet in the middle.
    Not one side being asked or told to give up everything , one piece at a time.
    Not to forget to mention the millions of law abiding gun owners that are lumped into numbers and "facts" , that include criminals and lies.

Its difficult to persuade someone from the middle , when the other side stacks the deck , so high in their favor...
    What's even more difficult is when the approach used by you to get your ideas across is the wrong one.
    Don't limit yourself with how you communicate your ideas.
    Andy

notazombie and HuckleberryFun like this.