JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are encouraged, I assume you are an Obama supporter. 53% of responders gave him an A or a B. A lot more A's than F's. When asked whether Obama inspires confidence, responders say yes, 72% to 29%.

But these self-selective polls don't mean anything anyway. They're PR tools by the network to get you interested in whatever they are doing. If Fox News and The Nation asked their audiences what they think of Obama, you'd likely get very different results.

What you are looking at is a poll of those people who (a) knew it existed and (b) felt motivated enough to bother with it. In other words, it favors the activist who views that news outlet. If there is a huge surge of publicity by some group, it'll skew the numbers all out of proportion. For example, the NRA or Right to Life could mobilize its members and blow this poll apart, all against Obama. NOW or the NAACP could do the same thing for Obama.

Polling is a science, and honest pollsters seek to weed out these inherent biases. A voluntary public write-in poll is meaningless.

If you are encouraged, I assume you are an Obama supporter. 53% of responders gave him an A or a B. A lot more A's than F's. When asked whether Obama inspires confidence, responders say yes, 72% to 29%.

But these self-selective polls don't mean anything anyway. They're PR tools by the network to get you interested in whatever they are doing. If Fox News and The Nation asked their audiences what they think of Obama, you'd likely get very different results.

What you are looking at is a poll of those people who (a) knew it existed and (b) felt motivated enough to bother with it. In other words, it favors the activist who views that news outlet. If there is a huge surge of publicity by some group, it'll skew the numbers all out of proportion. For example, the NRA or Right to Life could mobilize its members and blow this poll apart, all against Obama. NOW or the NAACP could do the same thing for Obama.

Polling is a science, and honest pollsters seek to weed out these inherent biases. A voluntary public write-in poll is meaningless.

Do you have the world's biggest chip on your shoulder or what?

First - you didn't look at the numbers very carefully did you? The blue numbers off to the side were poll results on his FIRST 100 days - this is a poll regarding the SECOND 100 days. There are no nationwide tabulated results for the current poll that I've seen so far. If, however, you mouse over the individual states you'll see that anywhere between 25% and 40+% of respondants are giving Obama specifically an "F." Therefore your statement that 53% give Obama an "A" or a "B" is not accurate for this poll... the numbers are MUCH lower this time around.

Second - yes - this is a self-motivated poll. All self-motivated polls have inherent problems, and I recognize that true polling is a science. I also understand push polling and other ways that so-called "scientific" polls can be manipulated. Furthermore, I use statistics on a regular basis as a part of my job function. However, CNN is heavily advertising this poll and giving people an extended period of time to respond. Having said that, the responses on this poll do mirror other polls showing Obama's slipping approval rating and a dismal approval rating for Congress. As to internet polling in general - in terms of the internet, the left is, quite frankly, more net savvy than right at this point. Therefore in my experience if anything these polls tend to be skewed to the left... the fact that this one at first blush doesn't appear to be is surprising in of itself.

Stop with the knee jerk reactions, they don't do you credit.

Do you have the world's biggest chip on your shoulder or what?

First - you didn't look at the numbers very carefully did you? The blue numbers off to the side were poll results on his FIRST 100 days - this is a poll regarding the SECOND 100 days. There are no nationwide tabulated results for the current poll that I've seen so far. If, however, you mouse over the individual states you'll see that anywhere between 25% and 40+% of respondants are giving Obama specifically an "F." Therefore your statement that 53% give Obama an "A" or a "B" is not accurate for this poll... the numbers are MUCH lower this time around.

Second - yes - this is a self-motivated poll. All self-motivated polls have inherent problems, and I recognize that true polling is a science. I also understand push polling and other ways that so-called "scientific" polls can be manipulated. Furthermore, I use statistics on a regular basis as a part of my job function. However, CNN is heavily advertising this poll and giving people an extended period of time to respond. Having said that, the responses on this poll do mirror other polls showing Obama's slipping approval rating and a dismal approval rating for Congress. As to internet polling in general - in terms of the internet, the left is, quite frankly, more net savvy than right at this point. Therefore in my experience if anything these polls tend to be skewed to the left... the fact that this one at first blush doesn't appear to be is surprising in of itself.

Stop with the knee jerk reactions, they don't do you credit.

Easy, Tiger. No need to get ugly. I'm just looking at facts. Sorry that you find them inconvenient.

So I think we agree that the only tabulated figures show a majority giving O'Bama an A or B. If you think the second 100 days show something different, give us the figures. Or wait for them. You sound like a cheerleader rather than an observer.

But as I say, I don't think this poll showing such high approval for O'Bama is reliable. It's a small sample of self-selected people voting. 98% of people writing to Kim Jong Il think he's a swell guy.

Easy, Tiger. No need to get ugly. I'm just looking at facts. Sorry that you find them inconvenient.

So I think we agree that the only tabulated figures show a majority giving O'Bama an A or B. If you think the second 100 days show something different, give us the figures. Or wait for them. You sound like a cheerleader rather than an observer.

But as I say, I don't think this poll showing such high approval for O'Bama is reliable. It's a small sample of self-selected people voting. 98% of people writing to Kim Jong Il think he's a swell guy.

No, you're confusing two different polls - big difference.

So while yes we agree that the first poll (tabulated below the big maps)showed high marks for Obama, you don't seem to understand that the big maps are a completely different poll.

I've put a snapshot of all of the figures as I saw them on my blog - link in my sig.

For example, the NRA or Right to Life could mobilize its members and blow this poll apart, all against Obama. NOW or the NAACP could do the same thing for Obama.
Interesting you should make this observation/speculation.
Louisiana, with it's high percentage of blacks gives Obama a D or F over 65% of the time on domestic policy (economy and healthcare) and over 65% of the time overall.
Those winds are blowing the wrong way. When he can't get a more favorable rating in Louisiana than he does in Wyoming he's in trouble!

2010 should be interesting. Both the Senate and the HoR get C- or Ds in most states. Interesting that even CA says their Senators get Ds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top