JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you Press Check?

• Yes

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Huh?

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you referring to the method I discribed above?
Yes. Or a reasonable facsimile of such. To me, the only real way to check the tube is to….well….check the tube. Under stress I'd prefer not to have to remember the position of the round in the mag or try to see the tiny little holes in the back of the mag. I know a press check shouldn't be done under stressful conditions and generally aren't but…….I prefer simple and failsafe.

I do a similar thing with my hunting rifles. They get loaded/unloaded often enough it could easily skip my mind and cost me a deer. Only time I press check a pistol is if I'm at the range and it feels like it might not have caught the first round.

www.imfdb.org_w_images_2_23_Hard_to_kill1.jpg

Thumbs up!

Nope.
Never really felt the need to do so with any semi auto pistol I have owned or the Colt Series '70 that I do own.

With that said...
It might be best to carry and practice what is safe and works for you...and not do what is safe and works for others.
Andy

Last Edited:
Huh. I'd never heard the term before. In my little world, we don't have loaded guns around. So we follow the old LB PD safety rule of opening the action to make certain. My 10 year old grandson is gun crazy, I've drilled it into him that the first thing you do when you pick up a gun is to check to see if it's loaded. We weren't doing any gun things together for the first year of the Covid virus thing. Since I got vaccinated, we are doing stuff with our grandchildren again. First time my grandson came over, he wanted to look at the guns. First thing he did with every one of them I let him look at was check to see if they were loaded. He knows all the other safety rules (and then some) too.

I don't find it necessary nor desirable to to carry a concealed weapon all that often. I'm pretty careful about where I go. But when I do carry, I don't carry with a round in the chamber. Because I don't quite trust myself enough. Having an empty chamber is one extra step before crossing the Rubicon. I want to be absolutely certain before I pull the trigger. Yeah, I guess there are situations so emergent that you wouldn't have time to chamber a round. But then again, if stuff happened that fast, I probably wouldn't have time to draw the weapon anyway.

I do it now and then even though I know nothing has changed. Often when I do I think of a movie Sean Connery was in. Bunch of Cops waiting for a battle. One goes to "check the guns". The old guy says "did you already check them? Then leave them alone." I still don't know why I often feel the need to do it when I get a different gun out that I have not carried even though I know it's loaded. Piece of mind? Just one of those things? Who knows. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top