JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you Press Check?

• Yes

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Huh?

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Many modern pistols have some sort of view port or loaded chamber indicator. I personally do not press check my auto loader, I know whether or not the chamber has been loaded. I don't let folks touch my gat! Nor do I leave it unlocked and/or out of my control. It even showers with me, albeit in a Ziplok bag...

:s0092:

Oh c'mon!!! :rolleyes:

We all know you put it in your prison wallet while it the shower and clench to make it water tight….

:s0108:

Many modern pistols have some sort of view port or loaded chamber indicator. I personally do not press check my auto loader, I know whether or not the chamber has been loaded. I don't let folks touch my gat! Nor do I leave it unlocked and/or out of my control. It even showers with me, albeit in a Ziplok bag...

:s0092:
I actually used to keep a hipoint in a ziplock back in the drawer in my bathroom Id shower in. It was a fun experiment.

YES!

Something that was drilled into me as a young shooter, after a mag is inserted and the slide is closed softly/quietly, a quick press check is done. After every mag change, even a "tactical Reload" a press check is done as part of that evolution to absolutely ensure the pistol is ready for action! It is now an automatic action with semi auto pistols! Revolvers don't need a check, if I loaded it, it's loaded! :s0155:

No. I mostly carry a glock. Trigger is forward, and I can see nickel plating through the edge of the chamber, as someone else mentioned.
Glocks have a loaded chamber "indicator" that maybe some people don't know about. The extractor will stick out slightly from the slide when there's a round in the tube. It's far enough to feel, obvious enough because it's not flush to the slide.

How is this even a question?
Know the condition of your firearm, always!
Every time I pick up any gun, weather it is mine, yours, one I found, or one I am handling in a gun store it gets checked. Period.
When I put on my pistol in the morning, it gets press checked to verify it is still loaded before it gets holstered.

How is this even a question?
Know the condition of your firearm, always!
Every time I pick up any gun, weather it is mine, yours, one I found, or one I am handling in a gun store it gets checked. Period.
When I put on my pistol in the morning, it gets press checked to verify it is still loaded before it gets holstered.
I think most people look at press checks differently from safety checks.

Loaded chamber indicators aside...

I liken it to 'riding the slide' while charging. I want my cartridges to slam into the chamber to make sure that they're properly seated and that the firearm is fully in battery.

The chamber on my carry pistol is always loaded, because I (+1). That room for one more when I drop the mag to top it off confirms that.

If I were to do so as a 'confirm it's loaded' check, I would rather fully re-rack the slide, ejecting a round to confirm that one is chambered; only having to re-fill the mag after doing so. However, I prefer to limit myself in doing that, so that I don't potentially compromise the reliability of my SD cartridges from too much chambering/unchambering.

At the range, any firearm that I have is always presumed to be loaded and treated as such.

Press check? Or not to press check? That is the question?

I say press check so you can annoy others here and I say don't press check to annoy the others! Because what others are doing or comfortable with are a Fan-freakin-tastic way to talk about someone else's way of living or doing things! Personally I get the logic behind doing it and the not necessary reasoning as well! Kinda like the best firearm/ pistol debate! WHATEVER HAS YOU CARRYING EVERY DAY And EVERYWHERE!

There are alternative to press checks that accomplish the same thing. For example, my AR mags (PMags and older GI)* with an even number of rounds (30 or 28) will have the top round on the right side, insert mag, drop bolt, remove mag, top round is now on the left side, that round went somewhere. No need to press check or use forward assist. If you download the 25, it is opposite. This procedure can be accomplished visual and/or tactilely so it can also be done in low light scenarios. In the case of a Glock, the round counts are visible from back of the mag, fully loaded shows 17 rounds, insert mag, rack slide, remove mag, back of mag will now show 16 rounds. For lowlight, I'll feel for the chamber loaded indicator on the extractor. This comes into play by knowing your tools.

*newer GI mags improved for M855A1 is the opposite.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top