JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you carry in bars/when drinking in public?

• Total voters
Reactions
I usually do, even if I am drinking. In public I never drink heavily, and if the situation arised to where I need to use my gun, I would, even if I had a couple beers and it meant I was going to prison. My families life is worth it to me. Also, Portland bars are a hot spot for certain types of individuals who are more likely to do something stupid.

Well, there is my spiel, what do you guys think?

I do not drink but the wife does and I always carry when we go to bars. They do seem to bring a certain breed of jack a%$ a lot of the time. I am not going to chance it by not having a gun on me.

Agreed. I carry even when drinking. I dont get belligerent or combative when drinking, and usually limit myself to a few beers.

Im not willing to risk my safety, even if that means getting in a little hot water. AFAIK you are legally allowed to drink and carry in OR anyway.

If I intend on heavy drinking I just carry mace and a folding knife.

what bars are you guys going to?? I've never had any issues at a bar. But then again i don't go to places that attract douche bags. if I'm drinking my judgment is compromised. same reason why i don't ride my motorcycle, drive my car, or operate heavy machinery while I'm drinking.

I think as 2Wheels said it is not an amount of alcohol that impairs his judgement. If you know you are going to be drinking heavily and not a couple beers over the night as he stated then yeah you should leave your gun, car, and motorcycle at home. If you are drinking a couple beers over a few hours you should not be impaired.

My answer is no because I don't drink in bars.
1) It's a lot more expensive.
2) If I drink at home I'm already there. I don't have to drive home.
3) Some meds are not campatible with operating a vehicle and consuming alcohol, so I don't. Meds are OK taken as directed, as illustrated by the fact that my job requires a functional intellect and I do just fine. No use looking for trouble .
4) I have known lots of people who died as a result of alcohol or alcohol and drug related vehicular mishaps (usually motorcycles). I really don't want to head off for the long dirt nap now, just when I'm ready to retire and start enjoying the perpetual weekend.

what bars are you guys going to?? I've never had any issues at a bar. But then again i don't go to places that attract douche bags. if I'm drinking my judgment is compromised. same reason why i don't ride my motorcycle, drive my car, or operate heavy machinery while I'm drinking.
I try to go to bars that have a lot of criminals and bar fights.
Nothing better than getting juiced up and pulling my gun on everyone that looks at me funny.
You only go to bars that have ZERO crime?? How boring.

nothing wrong with a couple drinks and packing but when I go out I'm there to visit not get drunk. I hope here in Ore. they never pass such a stupid law as no guns in bars like in Wa. just another GFZ.

I try to go to bars that have a lot of criminals and bar fights.
Nothing better than getting juiced up and pulling my gun on everyone that looks at me funny.
You only go to bars that have ZERO crime?? How boring.

That is still boring. I just draw on the bouncer right away to show my dominance and my right. Make him beg for me to have a beer to settle down. Apes have to show their bubblegum to declare that they know you are the alpha male so I make the bar patrons do that. Then I relax and put a few mags into the dartboard. Like I said though...I do not drink.

Seriously though. What bars can you go to that some drunk idiot cannot get out of control. I never would draw unless they got stupid enough to pull a weapon on someone or something crazy like that but with drunks you never know. You can be in the nicest bar around and still have a guy way over his limit start wanting trouble.

I carry everywhere.
We're grown men, we should all know our limit.

If at your limit & drinking far past that.. I think you may have other issues. Drinking until you get sloppy is for college kids.

As for getting "buzzed"
@350lbs (perhaps less now) on an empty stomach a few beers,
perhaps even a 12 pack,
is like water.. Delicious water.

Alcohol makes some guys violent.. Add a mob mentality and testosterone and you have trouble "brewing" ;)

Just as I would with any other life or death situation, I couldn't just let someone get beat, stabbed or shot to death if I knew I could stop it.

Id rathe be judged by 12 than carried by 6.. Or in my case maybe 8.. Or 10.

"Alcohol makes some guys violent.."

This is the reason I choose to not drink. I know my limit and that is 0. For some reason when I was younger and drank I felt an urge to be angry for no reason. I did not like that so I just stopped drinking since it has a negative affect on me. Some guys are happy and some are angry like me. The difference is some do not stop drinking as I did just because they like the idea of a fight after a few drinks.
Many of those guys around and I know that trying to talk sense into me back in the day just would make you the center of my anger. Carry if you can for clowns like that because some become violently angry very quick.

I don't begrudge anyone for their choices, and I certainly enjoy good beer. But carrying and drinking is a big no-no in my book.

IMO, carrying puts you in a position where you need to be exercising good judgement (as you should even when you're not carrying...). Carrying a weapon and drinking, however, is not good judgement. Even if you know your limits, and are perfectly capable of safely handling a weapon, doesn't mean that that one drink couldn't hurt you.

If you had to use a weapon to defend yourself, and the responding officer notates in their report that they smelled alcohol on you (or the situation dictated that your consumption was obvious), that's not going to look very good in a courtroom. While you may be exonerated criminally, the civil suit could be atrocious.

Alcohol + firearms = nope.

"Alcohol makes some guys violent.."

This is the reason I choose to not drink. I know my limit and that is 0. For some reason when I was younger and drank I felt an urge to be angry for no reason. I did not like that so I just stopped drinking since it has a negative affect on me. Some guys are happy and some are angry like me. The difference is some do not stop drinking as I did just because they like the idea of a fight after a few drinks.
Many of those guys around and I know that trying to talk sense into me back in the day just would make you the center of my anger. Carry if you can for clowns like that because some become violently angry very quick.
My father has a close friend who was the same and doesn't touch the stuff anymore. If alcohol altered my personality like that Id quit cold turkey as well.

My father has a close friend who was the same and doesn't touch the stuff anymore. If alcohol altered my personality like that Id quit cold turkey as well.

Yes it is the smart thing to do. I do not have the urge to be angry for no reason. Problem is a lot of people do not even accept that it alters their personality to a negative state. Those ones just sit and drink alone a lot of the time and look for trouble. I would rather enjoy talking to my friends while I drink a free coke than be in a altered negative state of mind.

I have been in places that served alcohol, but I was just there for the food. I am leery of doing something innocent, but stupid and then visiting jail. Carrying and drinking seems to be close to that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top