JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Obama and gun agenda

• Do you feel that this administration change exsisting laws (Bans)

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • Do you think he will just leave the exsisting laws alone

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
There has been several and sometimes heated discussions about the future of America's gun rights and the president. So I thought in order to clear up the air these was an easy way to see where people may stand. Could say a little experiment. I feel Obama and Biden have a serious agenda like he has always stated and voted in the past. This is not bashing Obama it is about what people think his intentions are.

I think you'd have to be blind not to see the agenda here. The only thing stopping them is they know they don't have the votes at this point. It's also heartening to see broad support for 2nd Amendment rights at the federal level (and in many of the states). If the recent CNN poll on the administration and Congress is any indicator, America is waking up and smelling the 'change' - and it's smelling just like the BS many of us knew it was to begin with...

I think that President Obama is a political animal. He may not be pro-second amendment, but I don't believe that he is an anti-gun fanatic. Yes, there are Democrats that are VERY anti-gun and he will listen and maybe even agree with them to keep them appeased. HOWEVER.....

As a political animal, President Obama recognizes that taking on the NRA, GOA, and the rest of gun-owning America requires a HUGE expenditure of political capital. And for what? Another Assault Weapons Ban? Reinstating a law that expired is not going to buy him any leverage and does not look like an accomplishment. Pushing a new much stricter bill will cost him every bit of political capital and alienate a substantial percentage of Democrats in the process. Additionally, President Obama has shown a real reluctance to spend his political currency unless he is absolutely sure it will pay off. He is very pragmatic.

I am not saying President Obama is pro-gun. I am just saying that I don't really see an upside for him politically if he were to go down that path anytime soon. He has plenty of other issues that will take less effort and buy him much more politically to work on first. Now, a second term, if he successfully delivers on a few other issues...........

Like I said earlier in the poll. There have been people who seem to think Obama is not a danger to this particular set of rights and I just wanted to see what people really think is happening. Thanks.

I think you'd have to be blind not to see the agenda here. The only thing stopping them is they know they don't have the votes at this point. It's also heartening to see broad support for 2nd Amendment rights at the federal level (and in many of the states). If the recent CNN poll on the administration and Congress is any indicator, America is waking up and smelling the 'change' - and it's smelling just like the BS many of us knew it was to begin with...

fingolfen,

There are many people who I think are blind and do not really see the potential of what most likely will take place in the future.

fingolfen,

There are many people who I think are blind and do not really see the potential of what most likely will take place in the future.

My quibble is about characterizing Obama's position as something that "will take place" versus something that "will be attempted". I strongly believe that the current administration will attempt to pass comprehensive gun control, but at this point I don't believe it would pass. If we're careful I don't think it will ever pass... If you look at public support levels for gun rights in recent polls, we're the majority...

I didn't vote, because I think the situation is more nuanced than the choices suggest. I predict that Obama's administration will make some changes that don't amount to much. Tighter criminal penalties for knowingly exporting guns illegally to Mexico or slightly higher license fees for FFLs for example. But I don't think he'll push much, and so I don't think much will happen. He just doesn't have the votes in the Senate to pass meaningful gun control legislation. And there is too much else going on.

Now, if some nut goes postal in an elementary school with an AR-15 and multiple hi-cap mags, all bets are off. Gun control historically has followed events like that.

Obama has the agenda, he just stacked his cabinet with the lackies to do his dirty work for him. We all know what he really does in his spare time....

Wait I looked it up before your reply and it appears to be Obama.
"President Barack Obama on Friday signed into law the most sweeping crackdown on the credit card industry in decades, designed to rein in fees and interest rates.

The House cleared the bill (HR 627) on May 20 by 361-64 and then voted 279-147 to approve language added by the Senate that would allow people to carry firearms in national parks and wildlife reserves where permitted by law.

Like I said, BushII !!
And if someone hadn't hung it on a budget bill that Obama/BushII wanted, he wouldn't have signed it.

Pay closer attention to more than what the mainstream press tells you. Take a harder look at the processes of your Government.

I think that President Obama is a political animal. He may not be pro-second amendment, but I don't believe that he is an anti-gun fanatic. Yes, there are Democrats that are VERY anti-gun and he will listen and maybe even agree with them to keep them appeased. HOWEVER.....

As a political animal, President Obama recognizes that taking on the NRA, GOA, and the rest of gun-owning America requires a HUGE expenditure of political capital. And for what? Another Assault Weapons Ban? Reinstating a law that expired is not going to buy him any leverage and does not look like an accomplishment. Pushing a new much stricter bill will cost him every bit of political capital and alienate a substantial percentage of Democrats in the process. Additionally, President Obama has shown a real reluctance to spend his political currency unless he is absolutely sure it will pay off. He is very pragmatic.

I am not saying President Obama is pro-gun. I am just saying that I don't really see an upside for him politically if he were to go down that path anytime soon. He has plenty of other issues that will take less effort and buy him much more politically to work on first. Now, a second term, if he successfully delivers on a few other issues...........

Good points all. It's my belief that he will sit tight and not push anything himself with regard to restricting the 2A. BUT, if Notsee Pelosi and Dingy Harry decide that THEY want to push something through, and it PASSES... BHO will sign it.

The key here is going to be what happens with the congressional elections in 2010. If the dems keep control... THEY will try something regarding an AWB-II. :angry:

I am paying attention. An anti gun Dem would never sign that bill.
On the other hand GWB was happy in his own words to sign an AWB if it was put before him.

Like I said, BushII !!
And if someone hadn't hung it on a budget bill that Obama/BushII wanted, he wouldn't have signed it.

Pay closer attention to more than what the mainstream press tells you. Take a harder look at the processes of your Government.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top