JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you support "universal background checks"?

• YES

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • YES, but only with certain exemptions/conditions

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 76.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?"

Vote in the poll above: Here is an explanation of choices:

YES

YES, provided in exchange the state abolishes the pistol registry and record keeping is prohibited, and there are exemptions for CPL holders, transfers between family members, and loans to friends

NO under any circumstances (please click on NOt sure: the poll screwed up)

I didn't vote... it looks like a slick way to get a "90%" vote FOR background checks... just add the yes votes to the yes votes and leave out the part where most (my expectation) yes votes would be conditional.

The only way I would vote yes is if:

There is no registry, and no record keeping of who buys what.
CHL would no longer be needed because anyone who passed a background check should be
able to either conceal carry or open carry at any time and at any place. No regulations regarding
size of mags, "assault rifles" etc. Complete reciprocity between states for all of the above.

Nope. The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to provide we the people a means of defense against a tyrannical government. When that tyrannical government is the very entity who gets to decide who gets what and under which conditions the entire right ceases to exist.

Nope. The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to provide we the people a means of defense against a tyrannical government. When that tyrannical government is the very entity who gets to decide who gets what and under which conditions the entire right ceases to exist.

Exactly, and background checks equate to illegal search and seizure. Buying and selling a gun are legal activities and does not constitute as probable cause for a search. Court cases have already ruled that you cannot be detained by police or forced to show ID just because you were walking down the street with a gun (where open carry is legal) because it is not an illegal activity and just having a gun doesn't constitute as probable cause. Given that why would it be legal to have to show ID and have your record searched just to exercise a constitutional right. If we were to suggest everyone had to undergo a background check before they voted the left would be up in arms but it's the exact same thing. BTW I believe the court cases are Terry VS Ohio and US vs Deberry

The only way I would vote yes is if:

There is no registry, and no record keeping of who buys what.
Really!? The same way done now. Just like they don't keep any info now. "There is not enough computer space to store all that text data". LOL Right... ;)

Why would you start a poll up like this here? I would think almost everyone on a pro-gun website is going to vote AGAINST any stricter gun laws.

Why would you start a poll up like this here? I would think almost everyone on a pro-gun website is going to vote AGAINST any stricter gun laws.

Actually, that's not accurate. I posted this poll on about a half-dozen sites and there are some 'YES' votes showing up, including one right here. Some gun people vote for Obama, support background checks, yada yada...

Fixed the poll. If any of the 'Not Sure' votes were actually 'Not Sure' votes, please let me know and I'll change it.

By the way, I'm surprised a professional writer would phrase the poll question as "Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?" with yes or no as the choices. That's like asking "do you prefer chocolate or vanilla"? with yes or no as the choices. :huh: That makes no sense. If you want the choices to be yes or no, the question should be ""Would you support "universal background checks"?, yes or no, OR, if you are going to ask "Would you support or oppose "universal background checks"?, the choices should be "support" or "oppose", not yes or no. But I'm not a professional writer.

" Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?"

This poll is strangely worded. is the answer "Yes, I support" or "Yes, I oppose"? Conversely a No answer would be either "No, I don't support" or "No, I don't oppose". whatever results from this poll would be meaningless.

Jim

" Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?"

This poll is strangely worded. is the answer "Yes, I support" or "Yes, I oppose"? Conversely a No answer would be either "No, I don't support" or "No, I don't oppose". whatever results from this poll would be meaningless.

Jim

Then don't answer the question. Don't respond to the poll.

It's not mandatory that you answer the poll questions.

"universal" and "no tolerance" policies are almost always a bad idea. It removes reasoning and judgement (essentially the human intelligence factor) from the equation. The first step to getting me to agree to more strict BGCs would be a better description of the term "universal". Then make it so that the system had all the pertinent information, and actually prosecute people who lie on the forms or try to subvert the system as is.

Once those steps are taken, then come talk to me about prohibiting more transactions... and I will probably still say no, but I will be more willing to listen.

If the question was worded properly no explanation clarifying what the writer really meant would have been necessary. Oh well, whatever. I oppose so-called "universal" background checks, and I sent written testimony to the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee explaining why I oppose them.

Saaayyyyy, maybe you could share that testimony so others might gain some insight on how to address their own concerns!

Good for you, BTW! You've done what far too many people don't do. They are fine with complaining on forums like this, but for some reason they're kind of shy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top