Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

POLL: Background checks

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?"

Vote in the poll above: Here is an explanation of choices:

YES

YES, provided in exchange the state abolishes the pistol registry and record keeping is prohibited, and there are exemptions for CPL holders, transfers between family members, and loans to friends

NO under any circumstances (please click on NOt sure: the poll screwed up)

2. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

I didn't vote... it looks like a slick way to get a "90%" vote FOR background checks... just add the yes votes to the yes votes and leave out the part where most (my expectation) yes votes would be conditional.

3. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

The only way I would vote yes is if:

There is no registry, and no record keeping of who buys what.
    CHL would no longer be needed because anyone who passed a background check should be
    able to either conceal carry or open carry at any time and at any place. No regulations regarding
    size of mags, "assault rifles" etc. Complete reciprocity between states for all of the above.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

I don`t think anybody should have to ask to exersize a right.

Father of four, Bacchus, GOG and 5 others like this.
  5. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Nope. The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to provide we the people a means of defense against a tyrannical government. When that tyrannical government is the very entity who gets to decide who gets what and under which conditions the entire right ceases to exist.

6. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

Exactly, and background checks equate to illegal search and seizure. Buying and selling a gun are legal activities and does not constitute as probable cause for a search. Court cases have already ruled that you cannot be detained by police or forced to show ID just because you were walking down the street with a gun (where open carry is legal) because it is not an illegal activity and just having a gun doesn't constitute as probable cause. Given that why would it be legal to have to show ID and have your record searched just to exercise a constitutional right. If we were to suggest everyone had to undergo a background check before they voted the left would be up in arms but it's the exact same thing. BTW I believe the court cases are Terry VS Ohio and US vs Deberry

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

Really!? The same way done now. Just like they don't keep any info now. "There is not enough computer space to store all that text data". LOL Right... ;)

Why would you start a poll up like this here? I would think almost everyone on a pro-gun website is going to vote AGAINST any stricter gun laws.

8. Dave Workman

Actually, that's not accurate. I posted this poll on about a half-dozen sites and there are some 'YES' votes showing up, including one right here. Some gun people vote for Obama, support background checks, yada yada...

9. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

The poll screwed up? Isn't that the same as "the gun went off by itself"? :p

10. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Fixed the poll. If any of the 'Not Sure' votes were actually 'Not Sure' votes, please let me know and I'll change it.

11. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

NO!

12. BSG 75

By the way, I'm surprised a professional writer would phrase the poll question as "Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?" with yes or no as the choices. That's like asking "do you prefer chocolate or vanilla"? with yes or no as the choices. :huh: That makes no sense. If you want the choices to be yes or no, the question should be ""Would you support "universal background checks"?, yes or no, OR, if you are going to ask "Would you support or oppose "universal background checks"?, the choices should be "support" or "oppose", not yes or no. But I'm not a professional writer.

Qaolin and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

" Would you support or oppose "universal background checks?"

This poll is strangely worded. is the answer "Yes, I support" or "Yes, I oppose"? Conversely a No answer would be either "No, I don't support" or "No, I don't oppose". whatever results from this poll would be meaningless.

Jim

14. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Oppose!

15. Dave Workman

Joe:Thx

For whatever reason, when I clicked to post, the "NO" suddenly became "NOt sure" and zap, I couldn't go in and modify that myself. That is darned strange and annoying!

16. Dave Workman

Then don't answer the question. Don't respond to the poll.

It's not mandatory that you answer the poll questions.

17. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

"Shall NOT be infringed"

No more "reasonable" anything. The Constitution works just fine exactly as it's written.

18. BSG 75

If the question was worded properly no explanation clarifying what the writer really meant would have been necessary. Oh well, whatever. I oppose so-called "universal" background checks, and I sent written testimony to the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee explaining why I oppose them.

19. Joe Link

No problem! Clarified the wording as well ;)

20. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

"universal" and "no tolerance" policies are almost always a bad idea. It removes reasoning and judgement (essentially the human intelligence factor) from the equation. The first step to getting me to agree to more strict BGCs would be a better description of the term "universal". Then make it so that the system had all the pertinent information, and actually prosecute people who lie on the forms or try to subvert the system as is.

Once those steps are taken, then come talk to me about prohibiting more transactions... and I will probably still say no, but I will be more willing to listen.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.