JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.223 - 55gr FMJ-BT vs HPBT if the price was the same

• Total voters
I usually load the 62g fmjbt surplus projectiles when I can get them in bulk for cheap.

I load a lot of the Hornady 55 gr Soft Point (bulk with cannelure). Just ordered 1000 of them for $89.90 shipped. They work decently for plinking, varmints and (IMO) personal defense. But if the only option is HP vs FMJ, I would go Hollowpoint very time, as they are typically more accurate and should do a better job of retaining their core when they run into something.

I'm designing some tooling, I'm debating making FMJ-BT, or HPBT, it's really the same cost in materials, and theoretically it's the same price in labor. With that in mind, if I could sell them for the same price as FMJ I want to know if there's a market for them.

I'm designing some tooling, I'm debating making FMJ-BT, or HPBT, it's really the same cost in materials, and theoretically it's the same price in labor. With that in mind, if I could sell them for the same price as FMJ I want to know if there's a market for them.

I would buy them if they are consistent quality. I need them capable of less than 1" groups.

Hard to beat 50 gr. Hornaday ballistic tip (zombie) bullets I personally like pushing them with 21 grains of IMR 4198 powder. Shoots about 3050 fps. I shoot 3/8 MOA at 100 yards. (cover 3 shots with a dime). Also I get 333 rounds per pound of powder, perhaps the most efficient when it comes to speed/accuracy/price.
Hope this helps.

:)

This isn't going to help, but I really don't care. If they feed from a magazine, shoot well and accurate like a target bullet should, then it really doesn't matter. Form follow function, make me a good quality well priced bullet and I'll buy it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top