JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this on FB... where many commenters are being Karens, or otherwise complaining "another cop that won't do his job", when clearly he is.

The wording is specifically about mandates of masks and lockdowns, but I wonder if that carries over to 2A... either way, I expected this kind of response from an eastern county, not one in the valley AND where half of Salem is.

Here is the letter:
From Sheriff Garton -

I have been asked recently what my views are regarding our current situation with Covid-19, and the mandates issued by the Governor. First off, the profound impact the pandemic has had on our country and this community should not be undermined. Citizens have lost friends and family members and are understandably grieving. Our children have had their lives completely uprooted and their education compromised. Lockdowns have furthered our ongoing mental health crisis and decimated local economies. Small business has suffered tremendously throughout.

Sheriffs have many responsibilities within the community. All aspects of my job are important but upholding the Constitution and protecting people's rights is my number one priority. Elected leaders and government officials should always seek to protect those rights. It seems that some believe rights can be altered, suspended, or simply interpreted differently, while promoting the false impression that the government "provides" rights to the people. Bending the foundation of our republic isn't an option and we should all be united in wanting to secure our rights, liberty, and freedom.

In today's politically charged climate it is easy to get lost in divisive rhetoric. Everyone has strong opinions, and it seems our two-party system, along with the mainstream media, would rather see us fighting amongst each other than working together for the betterment of our country. It's not my place to pick sides. Your beliefs are a personal choice and ultimately your right, especially if your actions aren't infringing on the rights of others or breaking constitutional laws. It is immoral, unethical, and I believe unconstitutional. Moreover, it's un-American.

I believe in local control, as we are most familiar with the needs and desires of our own community at the local level. The state and federal government have more of a one size fits all approach that does not always work for every community, nor is it necessary in every community. What works in Polk County may not be what's best for Multnomah County, Benton County, Marion County and vice versa.

Overreaching state or federal authority is very concerning to me as it goes against the principles of our constitution and the structure of this republic. I believe it is a threat to people's rights and will ultimately have a negative impact on "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness''. The emergency powers granted to Governor Brown by the Oregon legislators seem almost limitless and has essentially taken away a representative government "of the people, by the people, and for the people".

Unfortunately, information put out by the government has been misrepresented and is sometimes inaccurate, causing skepticism and confusion. One of our biggest frustrations is that we don't know what or who to believe anymore and some of us have lost trust in our state and federal leadership.

I am not a doctor, scientist, or lawyer. I am not going to debate whether you should or should not wear a mask or get a vaccine. My expertise is in law enforcement, not public health. I don't see a need to reiterate statistics pushing one side or the other.
The bottom line is, I believe medical freedom is a fundamental right. I trust people's ability to make their own informed medical decisions. Even if I personally would make a different decision, I respect everyone's ability and right to decide for themselves, and I believe these decisions should be free of reprisal.

The enticement used by our government during the pandemic to convince people to make potentially life altering medical decisions is immoral, unethical, and should be legally challenged in the highest courts. Threatening people's livelihoods and future with these mandates is reprehensible and should not be tolerated.

The United States is an exceptional country and Polk County is no different. If we respect the rights of others, including that of private business, we will get through this. I know there is nothing we cannot achieve if we listen and work together. I believe we can eradicate this pandemic with a combination of local control, science, medicine, and common sense. Inherently, the citizens of Polk County are kind and compassionate people. We all want to do what is best for the health and well-being of our fellow citizens and this country.

It's been a challenging 18 months for everyone. Our first responders and medical professionals continue to be stretched thin and are working in a very challenging environment. I am proud of the hard work and dedication they have shown, and I am honored to be a part of this community in many ways.

As your Sheriff, I will uphold my oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Oregon. I will continue serving my community with integrity and protect the rights, freedom, and liberty of the citizens I serve.

Other sherrifs, including Marion County, are stating they will not be the 'mask police'.

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads