Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

politicians more important than average people

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by dtcgc32, Jan 11, 2011.

1. dtcgc32

dtcgc32 central oregon Member

Why does it alway seem that when a politician is killed it is more of a tragedy than when an average citizen is murdered. The AZ shooting was tragedy but the congress womans life is no more or less important than the 9 year girl or any of the others that were kllied or injured. There are "attempted assasinations" on average citizens everyday. When I vote for someone to take polotical office I am selecting them to represent me not be more important than me. This mind set of many politicians really needs to change. They are so very out of touch with the average person it is scary.

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

With all the lying, dirty, underhanded dealings that politicians do, they should be surprised it doesn't happen more often.

3. hapuna

hapuna Seattle, WA Member

Its not the life of the congresswoman that makes it more important it is the effort by someone to circumvent the American Way of Life by removing an elected official that represents all of the folks in her district. Also she was the target. The others though just as important as people were colllateral damage. I felt there has been a lot of attention given to the others that were killed as well as those that risked their lives to help.

4. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Of course politicians deem their sanctified personages far above everyone else.

They demand special protection:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-bill-that-would-outlaw-threatening-lawmakers
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/20...ing-to-introduce-gun-control-legislation.html

And they demand special privileges:
    http://travel.newsvine.com/_news/20...federal-officials-may-bypass-airport-security
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-01-15/news/0190180113_1_submachine-guns-bodyguard-uzi

Let's not forget the billions of dollars wasted every year protecting their worthless hides, paid for by taxpayer dollars. And it's not just politicians, all state tax-eaters deem themselves special. Just look at the cops and their machine gun exemption, or when you read something like this: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/50610.html

5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

After the pelosi aircraft boondoggle I feel that the politicians transportation to and from work should be standard coach air fare - anything else should be personal expense. maybe if they have to sit with the "unwashed" masses on the cross country flights they will learn a bit about the average citizen they are supposed to be representing instead of the holier than thou classification they have given themselves.

6. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

think historically - over the centuries - our model of government is new. The 5000 year leap so to speak. Maybe it's encoded in human genetics to be ruled - maybe 'the masses' need to be ruled by the upper class. And in modern times the masses project that need onto the elected class. Rulers were deemed good or bad depending on how well they took care of the masses and how the masses perceived empathy from the rulers.

7. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

when any public official is killed or dies it is always bigger than you. I feel sorry for them but they get all the credit and news when something happens to them and your mom could pass away and nobody gives a damn. That's why I feel more sorry for the 9 year old. Don't hear about her. If that congresswomen was not hurt or judge killed it would have been over and Obama would not be there. He is only there too for publicity.

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You may be right, but I can attest to the fact that that particular human "gene" has been well & truly omitted from my bloodline generations ago! :noway:

9. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Let me just toss this out to the carnivores: when an elected official is attacked physically, it is not just that one official that is hurt, it is an attack on all of the people that voted for them and supported them. The elected official REPRESENTS the ideals and the hopes and dreams of all of their constituents, and especially of their supporters. Symbolically, all of the people are wounded when the elected official is wounded, and they FEEL IT. The whole district and community feels the wound to the spirit, and truly needs the support and affirmation of the whole nation, represented by the visit of the President to say encouraging words......................elsullo

10. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

:smash:
    I didn't feel anything but sadness that so many died. The polotician means nothing to me because of her position but rather because of her humanity.
    Poloticians are mo more specail then any other person.
    So I call Buffallo chips on your statment. But i do creidt you for the philospical nature of the psot.

11. NuthinFancy

NuthinFancy Seattle Area Active Member

FIFY

442818.jpg
    Campagn T-Shirts laid out at the memorial service

12. wolfwistle

wolfwistle lebanon Member

My mother called the other night to inform me that one of the women shot in this herrific act was an old friend of hers .I don't relly remember her but i do remember her kids.Her husband had died some years ago .then she married the man that was her high school sweetheart.He is the man that gave his life to safe his wifes life.So this is a little off the point,but i think this man who gave it all would be the one to answer this question .

13. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

It is pathetic to try to call a memorial service a campaign rally. I have nothing but pity for you if you cannot tell the difference between a public spirit rallying and a political campaign rally. I don't see "candidate Obama" on any of those t-shirts, but rather an effort to build public morale, and a repudiation of defeatism. Sure, at the beginning there were some immature girl fans yelling their affection for Obama, but he did his serious best to ignore them and quiet down the crowd---because it was NOT ABOUT HIM, and he was not there to boost himself. This was a NATIONAL tragedy and it called for a national figurehead to speak to it.

You would probably be even more critical if he DIDN'T speak at that memorial service! Shame on you for trying to twist what occurred to fit your personal cynicism!..........................elsullo

14. NuthinFancy

NuthinFancy Seattle Area Active Member

You need to remove your blinders, Sir. This was a stage-managed campaign event from start to finish. The chances of "Together We Thrive" being the campaign theme for Obama 2012 a la "Yes We Can" are 100%.:thumbup: The entire episode makes the Paul Wellstone 'memorial' look somber by comparison.

Your ad hominem attacks and strawman arguments are obvious for all to see as the only refuge of someone who has no substance to their position.:bluelaugh:

15. n47587

n47587 creswell Member

political office should be a volunteer position, not a paid position.

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I agree that is classic politicking and it's in very bad taste, shame on them!

Never let a good crisis go to waste, Joseph Goebbels would be proud!

17. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

A few years ago there was a Representative or Senator that died while in office, from some where in the mid west, forget exactly who it was. But his funeral was nothing but a big democratic campaign rally. It was sad to see.

18. dtcgc32

dtcgc32 central oregon Member

I do not have a problem with them being paid for their service. I do however have a problem with the infinite amount of time those in congress can hang around and the fact that they recieve that pay and benefits for the rest of thier lives even after a single term. Limit their time in office to one or two terms and take away the life long pensions and I think you would see a few more regular people acting in the best interest of the people that put them into office. Get them out before they can become to corrupt.

The president has term limits why not congress and state government for that matter?

19. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Rep. Giffords was meeting with her constituents on a street corner. She was doing her job, making herself available to anyone who needed to talk to their Congresswoman. If you have been to any meetings with your Reps, you KNOW how unglamorous those events are. She was shot in the line of duty, like a police officer or a fireman.
    As has already been stated, the attack on her was an attack on all her district, and on the practice of peacefully assembling to redress grievances (1st Amendment, US Constitution).

20. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

IMO it comes down to power and money. This goes for both sides.