JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another site I've been following this guy who decided to strip the blueing off his revolver and HIGHLY polish it.
It looks unbelievable! not flat mirror like stainless steel, but rich and creamy like molten silver.
I knew stainless would polish but I didn't realize carbon would. Why don't more manufacturers offer this?
Is it because carbon is much harder and takes more work?

Yeah polished or not get it wet or sweaty salty hands rust with happen quickly as will the pitting. Its a bad idea for any gun you actually plan to use

Agreed. Its a bad idea for any gun. Unless you plan on stopping and cleaning and oiling it every hour. Even a gun on the wall will pick up moisture in the air and rust...

Because stainless steel has other alloys added to the composition that resist corrosion. Carbon steel does not have these and is therefor more prone to rust and corrosion. Hardness has is only one property to metals and doesn't necessarily determine corrosion resistance...

I wonder if extreme polishing would offer a sort of shell over the metal, make it harder for corosion to occur? it wouldn't be very pourus anymore.
I still think with reasonable care it could be maintained. With real silverware with regular cleaning it won't tarnish, but if you go awhile with out cleaning it coroades. I think thats a good analogy.

I wonder if extreme polishing would offer a sort of shell over the metal, make it harder for corosion to occur? it wouldn't be very pourus anymore.
I still think with reasonable care it could be maintained. With real silverware with regular cleaning it won't tarnish, but if you go awhile with out cleaning it coroades. I think thats a good analogy.

No. Carbon steel is very different from silver. 'Extreme polishing' ( :s0114: ) wouldn't offer any protection against rusting.

Polished carbon steel is very common in higher end cooking utensils where they come in contact with salt and moisture daily....

As long as you dry and clean it, you'll be fine...

"Common" would be going a bit far... It's pretty rare. Also, it's a lot harder to wash and thoroughly dry a gun than a kitchen knife.

It's rare if you're shopping at walmart, otherwise it's pretty common.
http://www.google.com/search?q=carb...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You clean a gun anyway... If this "forces" you to do it thoroughly, then it might be a good burden.

That type of carbon steel cookware is either coated with a rust-proof finish like enamel at the factory, or seasoned (like cast iron) by the user. I don't know that any modern society cooks on bare carbon steel. This use of the material has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on firearms.

That type of carbon steel cookware is either coated with a rust-proof finish like enamel at the factory, or seasoned (like cast iron) by the user. I don't know that any modern society cooks on bare carbon steel. This use of the material has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on firearms.

The "season" comes from light coats of mineral oil or the like.

This would be the equivalent of a good gun oil.

Just like the instructions on my carbon steel knife set says:
If you wipe the blade with some mineral oil before storing, eventually a protective layer, or patina, will form on the knife, which will keep it from rusting and from reacting with acidic foods.

It's a direct comparison and is highly relevant to the topic on hand..... you're just very defensive for some reason.

The "season" comes from light coats of mineral oil or the like.

This would be the equivalent of a good gun oil.

It's a direct comparison and is highly relevant to the topic on hand..... you're just very defensive for some reason.

The seasoning is burned and baked on at high temperatures with repeated use - it's not even a little similar to a light coat of oil. A coating like that would work fine for a gun, I'm sure - as do dozens of others.

Have you ever used carbon steel or cast iron cookware? Have you ever used a carbon steel knife? I have a good deal of experience with all of these materials, and your suggestions are laughable. If I seem defensive, it's because I don't want anybody to read your posts and get steered in the wrong direction.

Polished carbon steel is very common in higher end cooking utensils where they come in contact with salt and moisture daily....

As long as you dry and clean it, you'll be fine...

+1

I have three hand guns setting here that have been in the raw for several months waiting for me to blue them. No rust at all. Lot of black powder revolver guys strip their guns to raw steel and let a patina develop. These don't rust and they use black powder and are washed with soap and water.

Pretty sure I'd die laughing if ZachS was a metallurgist or materials engineer or something. :s0114:

Or any kind of engineer, for that matter... :s0114: I do, however, cook with a cast iron frying pan, a seasoned carbon steel wok, and an unseasoned carbon steel knife. I know that "seasoning" is not a "light coat of mineral oil," and I know what happens to a piece of plain carbon steel when it gets fingerprints or even a tiny bit of standing water on it. I claim no knowledge or experience beyond that - but what I have is enough to tell me that unfinished carbon steel is a relative pain in the *** to deal with.

I have polished bolt carriers,triggers,bolt handles and various other parts that have been highly polished and have faired quite well without "seasoning" them.After I have polished them I put a light coat of oil and forgot about em and I add a light coat of oil after I clean them after use.They are still shiny.

Point is you can do anything you want to any part,just take care of it as with anything,even parked and blued.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top