JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When the government has the audacity to make such rules/laws.... who knows what is possible..... because I have seen and witnessed a lot of peace officers who were brain washed and went on power trips.... but I have also seen awesome cops who did their job like they were suppose to.
I personally have a lot of pics and videos of me shooting guns. There are a few vids on my phone of me shooting with a face mask on. I was wearing a face mask because it was cold out side... imagine the power hungry finding about that video.... and calling me a terrorist because I have a face mask on. Upon further investigation they find out.... Oh Biggie24420 was born in Iran..... so you can see how one little vid and my nationality could be turned into a big deal.
Many years ago I was arrested for DUI (Washington Co.) nand after fallowing all the officer's orders... I was placed under arrest for driving my truck drunk. When I was taken to the Sheriff's office and given a breath test, I blew a 0.00 and after that they still had me under arrest and kept me handcuffed and stuffed in a drunk tank as the deputy ate his chips and drank his sprite while looking at me and smiling. After that the deputy took me to another Sheriff's office to give me more tests including a urine test. I was taken home and given a $3500+ ticket. I fought the ticket and won, they paid for my tow bill and paid me for damaging my property..... but a letter was sent stating that everything was justified...pffffft!
Moral of the story is that innocent people are F-ed with all the time and if they (the law/police) want they can point the finger at you and say you are guilty of whatever BS they makeup.
If I was guilty of the DUI, I would have lost my CHL and I would have had to pay the heavy fine. Imagine I get added to the "no fly" list because they illegally searched my phone and found my pics and vids and now I can't buy guns or I can't fly. With laws like this the possibilities are endless. I felt so violated and screwed over that DUI... I was so angry I was nauseous. I would have sued but couldn't find anyone to go against the country.

Not surprised at all.

INCIDENT TO ARREST is the issue here.

You'd better look at the underlying court case which was cited, whihch said the Cell phone was similar to a diary.

This is really uncharted territory on the appellate level. We will have to see what yranspires. It's common in these days that a warrant will issue for all electronic devices SUBSEQUENT TO ARREST. I'm all for the 4th amendment, but I don't see any doom and gloom here.

The password on your cellphone only stops casual browsing. Law enforcement have forensics kits that can clone any locked phone, but they need a warrant to use them typically.

Here is an example forensics pack for smartphones if you have a couple of thousand dollars lying around:

http://iphone-forensics.com/product

As i understand it, the lawsuit in this case refers to the police doing a 'casual browse' of your phone for relevant info like phone numbers, like looking at an open diary on a desk. It's a bit like the 'hot pursuit' exception to a search warrant. I doubt casual browse means cloning it with a forensics kit. In that case, a password would prevent browsing and require a warrant.

It's still not a great precedent though - since it is the 7th circuit only I am guessing it may get appealed to SCOTUS at some point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top