JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take offense to that remark, and feel you owe me an apology. Yes, you do.

For the record, I do not smoke pot, and I am 55 years old. My mind is just not closed like some people my age or older.

Trism, you miss the point. You are correct, employers can set the rules. The point is that drug testing as it is today, is a faulty way of screening out druggies.

But is it really the job of Joe employer to make it any better? He's concerned with selling widgets and maximizing profits as well as minimalizing liabilities, not improving the science of drug testing so that the weekend toker can keep his job.

I Am/was a Marine once = always

and no matter what my age ( 32 ) will never bow down to the bullbubblegum slacker do what I want I don't care what the law is culture of the downsliding American society...

strive to be better and not worst my friend or you are part of the problem... next thing you are going to tell me is that unemployment for more that 2 years is cool and socialized everything for everybody.. bubblegum that.... laws are laws are laws..

if you want follow the ones you want you can bubblegum yourself

Pretty well defines who you are. that's for sure. You make an awful lot of assumptions about me. Based on one conversation about pot. I have no need to tell you anything about me, its irrelevant. I don't brandish my service as some sort of badge. It was my duty. Not something I use to try and bully someone on an internet forum.

I will refrain from name calling, as I thought it wasn't allowed on the forum.

Trism, I apologize for drawing this person into such an uncool display of bravado and rudeness. Consider me out of this conversation, since it has turn into a dick waving contest, and its obvious that his must be pretty big.

It's the fact that it is about drug AND alcohol random testing. Stoners AND drunks all minimize the lingering effects of their substance of abuse. I happen to be an expert on both! And the effects linger, and affect the performance and judgement of the user far longer than they realize or will admit.

Any employer sets the terms, and the employee can either agree to the rules or leave. Most employers, especially of public safety workers, simply insist that the workers come to work CLEAN AND SOBER so that their performance and judgement are not impaired. Random tests, which cover BOTH alcohol and drugs, are the way to keep employees "honest." How the police union can oppose this is unfathomable to me, other than they're protecting the many who drink on the job! Shame on them all.........................elsullo :(

Police often have to enter smoke filled rooms. Unoins have what is known as DFR. duty of fair representation . If they did not Fight this they would be in violation of this. In some cases a Union can be sued for DFR, say a scab in an open shop does not feel he was represented properly he can sue. The Union has to represent him even though he is not a member. I do not believe they should be tested for recreational drugs. To me the thing to test for would be steroids so we don't have "Gonad The Librarian" out there playing cowboy.

I haven't seen enough police that look like they spend much time in a gym to worry about steroids.

The 'second hand smoke' thing may be valid (can you get THC in your system from second hand smoke?), but that point is moot with coke, crack, heroin, etc.

Keith

Police often have to enter smoke filled rooms. Unoins have what is known as DFR. duty of fair representation . If they did not Fight this they would be in violation of this. In some cases a Union can be sued for DFR, say a scab in an open shop does not feel he was represented properly he can sue. The Union has to represent him even though he is not a member. I do not believe they should be tested for recreational drugs. To me the thing to test for would be steroids so we don't have "Gonad The Librarian" out there playing cowboy.

Careful.....or Sgt Slaughter will call you a pothead.

:s0114:

It is my understanding that you cannot test positive on a drug test from exposure from second hand smoke. As another mentioned, that would not matter for any of the hard drugs that are IV or taken by other means anyhow. I can't imagine a group that should be drug tested anymore than a police officer. Especially when things are involved like accidents and shootings.

I am a manager of union employees but I have been a union member in the past. I remember once when I was injured on the job once and my union steward stopped a drug test because it was "not in the contract" I didnt know him, he didnt know me and I had nothing to worry about but that bit of standing up for my rights has always resounded with me.

Made Me Mad=PMO

I'm amazed. We have public employees mad that we dare to expect that they be held to the same professional standard {let alone higher) than union electricians and pipefitters and non-union workers like a circuit board designer at Intel or a manager at a major grocery store are held?

Edit: I misread your intent in your previous post. I applaud your 'brothers'
who are in favor of random drug testing. This isn't a 'rights' issue, it is a safety issue, whether it is wiring a process instrument, running stainless tubing or carrying a sidearm during duty hours.

And if there is an accident on any job with a IBEW 48 or 191 (the two I'm most familiar with) electrician involved, OUR locals require drug testing as part of the investigation...and rightfully so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top