JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now check the percentage of public employees that are union,...
And when you're done there, check the percentage of union workers in blue collar occupations for major corporations.

It's a whole different world out there.

According to the Dept of Labor there are 7.9 million union members that work in the public sector as opposed to only 7.4 million in the private sector. That's only about 15 million people in this country that belong to unions.:s0155:

Now check the percentage of public employees that are union,...

7.9 million public employees are union! I don't know what the percentage is because the site did not say, or at least I did not see it. I'm sure that the percentage of overall union members is higher in the public sector than it is in the private sector. What's your point? :huh:

I don't believe our State and National Congresses test for drugs either. There was a story a while back about a law requiring high school football players, etc to randomly test for drugs...but yet somehow the folks who are making these laws are exempt? Apparently, yes!

Keith

it seems to me that all public servants that have jobs that affect the freedom,and rights of american citizens should be held to the same testing as the rest of us.when someone is accused,the accuser should be verified as reliable,and drug free.why should they be exempt?

I believe Police and all Government officals should be tested to a higher degree than that of the private sectors normal. This should include hair folicle testing every 3-6 months, along with UA's at random.

it seems to me that all public servants that have jobs that affect the freedom,and rights of american citizens should be held to the same testing as the rest of us.when someone is accused,the accuser should be verified as reliable,and drug free.why should they be exempt?

I agree.

I believe that one of the main reasons that our Country is in the shape it is right now is because of stuff just like this. The people that work for us in the government-LEO's included believe they are better then the average citizen and deserve special treatment. That is simply not right.

As for the unions..I believe many, many years ago they may have been a good thing. Now they are in bed with big business and politicians and the corruption/lieing/manipulation they do is screwing anyone in our country that is not joined with them. I have heard stories about just how the unions work. No thanks.

I've heard the arguement of "unions being necessary once apon a time, but not in today's business enviroment." I don't believe this to be the case.

An example:

I am currently working as a field engineer at a refinery expansion project in WA state. A Japanese company is in charge of the control system programming. They employ as their programmers people from the US, India, Pakistan, and Canada, among others. During the recent economic downturn, this company decided that in order to save money, they would not pay their hourly employees for the first 8 hours of overtime after 40 hours, then pay anything after 8 hours of overtime. Essentially the employees were working for free for 8 hours every week. At the time we were working at least 60-70 hours, the programmers a few hours more each night. I have it on very good knowledge that the programming firm continued to bill the customer for these 8 unpaid hours and pocketed everything. This may be in violation of US labor law, but most of these employees' green cards were at stake and they risked deportation if they caused trouble, so nothing was said. IMO most corporate firms, those firms who employ thousands or tens of thousands and where the individual employee is merely a detriment to the bottom line, would quickly emulate these practices if labor law and collective bargaining were not part of the equation.

I personally do not believe in the type of stranglehold type of unionism (strikes, burning non-union company property, voting Democrat because the party bosses tell you to at the rah rah meetings) common in big cities. My own particular Union here in Portland is 45% Republican (pisses the main office off :) ), 45% Democrat and 10% Independent. We don't strike, we work alongside non-union companies if that turns out to be the case, and for the most part we have good working relationships with our companies and customers. Most of the strongarm tactics you here about are from Chicago and the Northeast. Its pretty benign out here. I'm also not a big fan of 'government worker' unions.

Keith

I think that the public employees unions have given all union members a bad name and thats just a shame. There is a difference imo.

I think that the public employees unions have given all union members a bad name and thats just a shame. There is a difference imo.

I'd have to agree with that one. It used to be that a person chose a somewhat lower paying government job for the benefit of having a position for life. Now, public sector employees have wage and benefit packages that far exceed those in the private sector. There're plenty of articles about it. Here's just one little one...

The Government Pay Boom - WSJ.com

Keith

Here's another big difference between the union constuction trades (of which I am a member) and non-union shops, government workers, and the working population in general. I'll make my point with a series of questions...

Yes, we make more on the check and in benefits, on average, than non-union folks. That said, how much paid vacation time to you get per year? How much sick time do you get per year? How much personal time do you get per year? If you are a woman, or are married to one, how much maternity time do you get per year? How many holidays do you get paid for per year? Does your company pay you for jury duty? I could go on...

We in the union construction trades get none of this. If we don't work, we don't get paid (and once the job is over, we're looking for work again). I know most folks out there reading this get most or all of these benefits. And I know from personal experience with Trimet and the City of Portland that they get all of these and much more. I'd be willing to give police and firefighters a pass here because of the nature of their work, but most government work involves pushing pencils, shuffling paper, holding meetings, and 'managing'.

Keith

As a firefighter I don't understand the union's defense against random UAs. Both LE and Fire unions fight this issue all the time. Both operate emergency vehicles at above legal speed with potential for terrible consequences. We should be held to a higher standard.

My ex is a druggie and her department's union secretary. Guess who's protecting her? Her union.

Youy Union bashers are FOS you seem to want to bring more people to the bottom than bring any up. Go save a spotted owl and ship more whole logs to Japan...

Expecting Police to be subject to drug testing is not union bashing, in fact it has absolutely nothing, zero, nada to do with unions at all. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top