JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any opinions on whether this is a good deal? I've been considering a .223 and this looks appealing but I'm not familiar with how the 1987 era Mini's perform and whether police trade-ins are a good start.

Of course, it's not like I'm a crack shot after years away but it's fun to relearn old skills!
<broken link removed>

Any opinions on whether this is a good deal? I've been considering a .223 and this looks appealing but I'm not familiar with how the 1987 era Mini's perform and whether police trade-ins are a good start.

Of course, it's not like I'm a crack shot after years away but it's fun to relearn old skills!
<broken link removed>
To me? No. The old design Mini had a well earned reputation for very poor accuracy. Some of them were quite good but even Ruger could never figure out why. The norm was 5MOA groups at 100 Yds. This was when they were new. If this one was well used? The price on AR's is still quite low. For about a C note more you can get into a nice AR new.

Takes a LOT of hard currency to make a Mini run as good as a super a cheep AR, and for that reason alone, I would say don't bother!
Figure at the least a new barrel, a good clean and tune, a trigger job+parts, and I would bet the stock will need help! You would prolly save money buying a nice shiny new Colt and have money for P-mags and ammo! JMHO

I saw that ad earlier today, and in the picture, the rifle looks beat to hell. I would think that they would put the better ones in the picture, so I'd be afraid of what you would receive.

Even as a kid I knew Minis were in accurate. shown to me every week on the ATeam. thousands of rounds fired... zero kills. Maybe it was because the were always firing from the hip.:s0120:

FD45ED3D-2C15-4DB1-8A42-398FB597A7DB-255-0000006344E96EA9_tmp.jpg

Unabashedly, I am a big defender of the Mini 14. I am lucky I've never experienced the horribly inaccurate ones i constantly read about. That said, I still would not buy a Police trade in unless I could inspect it in-person or the seller provided a return guarantee.

Last Edited:
Well, Even though it is mostly a worn out inaccurate beat up 20 + year old rifle. If I was going to have one sitting in my safe I would want one with the flash hider and bayo lug.... Just because.

If I had any inclination to add to my rifle collection I might consider one at $399. The fact is though both my safes are over capacity and the last thing I need is another rifle I wouldn't shoot (but just think is neat)

In their write-up it sounds as if they have more than one for sale. Maybe this one pictured is the best of the bunch (for photo purposes)?

$400 for one? NOPE!

As mentioned, for a $100 more you can get a decent AR.

If you are really wanting a Mini, save about $200 (+/-) more and get a really nice safe queen.

That's my $0.02. :)

Candidly, if I hadn't just bought two firearms this month, I would probably invest in one of those police trade-ins "just because". Yes, I know they are hit and miss (no pun intended) and there is nothing they do that a modern AR doesn't do way better. However, the one Mini-14 Ranch Rifle I still own has been a fantastic rifle over the years. And I just like the Minis.

There was one series (3 digit prefix)of the .223 & X39 Mini that was known for an inferior barrel.

None of the modern gems, something like mid-late 80s.

I can look around and try to find it.

edit: anything before the 580s with a .560" barrel is subject to "Stringing". A Nest barrel mod (a strut) can fix most of the problems.

180: 1974-77
181-186: 1978-99
187-188: 1982-95
195-197: 1996-06
196-197: 2000-04
580-581: 2005-

Last Edited:
I have a friend :cool: ya hard to believe huh, anyway he bought a mini 14 police trade in that he found out had a broken bolt. Took it to the gunsmith and was told Ruger no longer makes parts for that model so all he has now is a parts gun. If I were going to buy a police trade in I would contact Ruger to see if they still worked on that model.

I love Mini's. I've had a bunch of the 14's over the years and one Mini 30. I know the rifle well.

Don't buy it.

If you want a Mini 14, try to go for the 580 series. I had a tactical model and it was excellent, but I had to have a trigger job done. The trigger felt like a bag of rocks.
The pencil barrel eliminates stringing and they're pretty much accurate. They're also fun to shoot.

Some folks try to make them into battle rifles. Don't.
If that's what you actually want, as has been suggested, buy an AR. I think I saw a Ruger 556 for under $500.

My problem with Mini's is that some parts as well as the mags (ones that work) are proprietary.

Best wishes.

Many thanks to all for your advice! The price seemed "too good to be true". Guess I should search for places to try shooting the various alternatives myself to see what works with my 5' 16" frame. Can't afford to fill the safe...

Many thanks to all for your advice! The price seemed "too good to be true". Guess I should search for places to try shooting the various alternatives myself to see what works with my 5' 16" frame. Can't afford to fill the safe...

5' 16" frame? Just say 6'4" it's easier and I wouldn't have to do the math...LOL