Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Police, Then and Now

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Blackfeather7, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Blackfeather7

Blackfeather7 Oregon Member

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Mayberry doesn't exist anymore...unfortunately.

There's a reason why the uniform changed...society has changed. Most of what you see is equipment for safety, so the Officers don't get hurt.

What job, other than the military can you think of where you have to wear a bullet vest because there's some people out that may want to kill you?

How they look has nothing to do with how they act...

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Oh the humanity! :bluelaugh:

4. Dayu

Dayu Lower Columbia Basin Member

So you don't think that wearing a military-style uniform, carrying military style equipment, and operating military style vehicles (on occasion) creates any different mindset vis a vis the guy in civvies with a tin star pinned to his shirt and a holstered pistol? :laugh:

5. badclam

badclam willapa bay Sunny SW WA Active Member

Cops dressed like soldiers? who is the enemy of this new army?

You know the English cops get by without even guns. I suggest as an idea, that it is the cops that keep raising the level of violence. I also put forth the idea that the lack of respect that the police have for civilians is why civilians respect the cops less.

Your right about this not being Mayberry anymore. In Mayberry the government didn't use scare tactic's to convince the people that in order to be safe, they had to give up more and more of their freedoms. In Mayberry they didn't disregard the constitution and it's amendment's for national security.

Everyone complains about our democratic government that's in power now,but forgets that they got that power by default in the process of removing the criminals and corruption that used to be there. I am neither Democrat or Republican. I am a patriot that believes in the constitution and those that support the constitution in it's entirety.We can not pick and choose what parts we like and who should enjoy it's freedom's.

I ask, can any of you give me good solid reasoning to trust my government anymore? The biggest threat to our freedoms is not foreigners! I can't tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore.

I've been lied to so much I can't believe anything any branch of the government says anymore.

What would Thomas Jefferson think of our new police soldiers, the Patriot Act and water boarding.

6. Captain Question

Captain Question Oregon Member

Isn't it a clue that there's really no reference (other than in law) to "peace officers" any more, but that the individuals now proudly refer to themselves as "law enforcement officials?"

7. wichaka

Then I guess we need to start stereo typing people with tattoos, long hair, piercings, sexual orientation...where does it end?

The look doesn't make the person....

8. wichaka

Then I suggest you sign up, don the above attire (civvies with a tin star pinned to his shirt and a holstered pistol?) and have at it.

9. Captain Question

Captain Question Oregon Member

Oooh, I see what you did there. That's what's called a "strawman argument."

Nobody said anything about stereotyping.

The question was whether or not a certain "look" could produce a certain mindset.

Well?

Can it?

10. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I remember when I was a kid (40's and 50's). The police lived in the same towns that we did. Their kids attended schools with us. We usually called a policeman "Officer Joe" or something like that. They knew most of the kids by name. They used to walk a beat and got to know every businessman along their beat. And you always knew that they would be there if needed.
    At that time the police were called "Peace Officers". Now they are called "Law Enforcement." This means that it is now their job to cram all of the laws that are passed down our throats. They ride around in cars and seldom walk anywhere. They live in other towns and use the Police Station for their address. And they are generally nameless, faceless people who might respond to call.
    You used to be happy to see a cop car. But, now when you drive down the road someone will say fearfully: "There's a cop!" What a difference a few years make!

11. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

9. The "Legal & Political" section is to pertain to firearms only. There shall be no legal & political discussion and/or material outside of the "Legal & Political" section.

There are many different people here with many different viewpoints on various issues. Like religion, discussing these issues here is highly likely to offend and very little good can come of it. We need to be focusing on the things that bring us together (firearms), not the things that have the potential to divide us (politics).

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Joey beat me to it.

13. wichaka

What new Army?

Actually, there are more and more English 'Cops' or Bobbies as they say over there carrying firearms now.

Yes, every Cop in the U.S. gets hired to raise the level of violence. Lest we forget those that rape and kill...sometimes just to do it.

So what are you going to do about it?

14. wichaka

There's still quite a few towns just like that....I can name a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.