Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Police state judge OKs surveillance cameras on private, posted land without warrant.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bigfoot, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

The property was wooded, posted, fenced, gated and locked. Looks like they had a problem with that pesky "probable cause supported by oath or affirmation" so screw it. Judge apparently doesn't understand the legal definition of "reasonable expectation of privacy" or he doesn't care.

Long article:

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

So much for private property rights!

3. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I would love to see a case where these property owners had discovered the surveillance equipment and smashed it. Have the DEA take them to court for destruction of government property and see how that turns out.

4. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

What do you mean smash it? Sell it on ebay!

Swedish K, Redcap, Blitzkrieg and 3 others like this.
  5. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Would love for a lawyer to chime in on this.

It's illegal (AFAIK) to grow marijuana even on private property. Is the property owned by the two obvious drug dealers? Why can't the police surveil private property when they suspect illegal activity? Happens all the time.

6. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

Agreed. That is so messed up. While I don't agree with drug growers I still believe they should have there Rights including the fourth amendment. And The police should not have encroached on to there private property!!!

7. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

They can surveil it from public land/streets or from cooperative neighboring properties; in this case it sounds like they entered the property without a search warrant and planted recording devices (cameras) and used the resulting recordings as evidence.

8. Tangent123123

Tangent123123 Battle Ground Active Member

Just because land is owned by two (suspected or not) drug dealers doesn't automatically suggest illegal activity. Owning land isn't probable cause to anything besides owning land. If it's ok for them to do this on these two guys' land it is ok for them to do it on your land as well. Legally there isn't a difference.

9. pattersonrob

pattersonrob Portland New Member

Why didn't they just use satellite to get these guys instead of infringing on there rights to private property !!! STUPID

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Because they need a warrant from a judge first, and that warrant requires a signed oath or affidavit specifically stating the reasonable cause for a warrant, upon penalty of perjury. It has to state exactly what they are looking for..

Oh how easily people give up essential liberty

Grunwald, Redcap, iusmc2002 and 7 others like this.
  11. Modly

Modly Beaverton Active Member

I think that you grow weed in your house.

Let me go tell the police that, and based on my claim alone, they should kick in your door.

Do you see the problem yet?

Blitzkrieg, Capn Jack, Redcap and 5 others like this.
  12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, Kev doesn't grow weed in his house.... Its done out in his detached workshop. ;)

13. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Because when it comes to the government or LE, give them a inch and they'll take a mile.

14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The sad thing here is that they were too lazy to pay an informant to tell them that there was a grow operation on the property. If they had an informant tell them about the grow they most likely could have gotten a valid warrant. The way this went down I think that the judge and the cops who did this with no warrant all deserve to loose their jobs and do some time. While I have issue with the judge and cops this in no way means that I condone the illegal activity of the "farmers".
    On a somewhat related note, looks like they should have moved their operation to WA or CO as it appears that both states have voted to decriminalize and tax pot. Do you see a doubling of DEA staff in those states in the near future?

15. Spiritof77

Spiritof77 Eugene, OR New Member

Salem witch trials all over again, or, if you'd rather, the red scare of the 60's. One way or another, it's pretty much taking citizens rights and flushing them down the crapper, but not without bubblegumting on them, first.

16. Blitzkrieg

WA State just voted to legalize pot.. well the entire country is going to #e!! in a handbasket, so whatever

17. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

All I know is that if I had dopers growing weed in bulk next to my place I'd be glad the law got them. First weed, and when they don't get busted for that, a meth lab.

18. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If it were my property I would do just that , smash it and toss it in a recycle center

19. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

not only did they pass the (you can get high on pot law) but while high you can marry another man

20. Blitzkrieg

The lessons of history have been forgotten but final justice is not afar off