JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Police seize 17 firearms, stun gun, ammunition from felon in Milwaukie

Police seize 17 firearms, stun gun, ammunition from felon in Milwaukie | OregonLive.com

The resurrected Portland police gun task force this weekend seized 17 firearms and a stun gun from a 48-year-old convicted felon living in Milwaukie.

Dohnald Lee Roy Hartman is facing 18 counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm and is being held at the Clackamas County jail on $500,000 bail.

A tip to the task force led police to execute a search warrant on Hartman's Milwaukie home late Saturday. He was booked into jail on Sunday.

The seizure included a wide range of firearms: seven handguns, five rifles, five shotguns and one stun gun. Police also seized more than 1,200 rounds of ammunition.

dohnaldhartman.jpgDohnald Lee Roy Hartman
Portland's Assistant Chief Eric Hendricks called the seizure somewhat of a "surprise" because of the number of firearms and variety. They include high-caliber hunting rifles and military assault rifles, such as an AR-15 assault rifle and SKS assault rifle. Among the handguns was a Mac 11.

Hartman has a lengthy criminal record spanning three counties, starting with a second-degree burglary conviction in 1982 in Multnomah County to a 1995 attempted murder with a firearm.

"This guy is a poster child for the purpose and mission of the gun task force," Hendricks said.

In April, the Portland Police Bureau announced that the resurrected task force aimed at targeting gun offenders and getting firearms out of the hands of youths and criminals had recovered 62 firearms and made 24 arrests. That was 5 1/2 months into its operation.

To date, the task force has collected 129 firearms.

Federal charges will be considered against Hartman.

The resurrected gun task force was modeled after the Youth Gun Anti-Violence Task Force that former Mayor Vera Katz helped create in 1998. YGAT followed a wave of drive-by shootings and youth homicides but was disbanded in 2007 because of budget cuts.

Portland Sgt. Jami Resch leads four officers who make up the Illegal Gun Task Force, which was formed Oct. 28. The group works closely with gang enforcement officers to intercept firearms before they land in a youth's hands. The group also has assistance from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

an AR-15 assault rifle and SKS assault rifle.

Option A: These characters don't know much about guns.

Option B: They are pumping up the story.

Option C: The felon converted them into full-auto.

I'm guessing A and B both.

Still, good job getting a felon/banger off the street.

On one hand it sounds like this guy is a bad guy. On the other hand it doesn't sound like he was doing anything bad when police raided him.

Never forget, it only takes one piece of bad legislation and all of us will be felons if we don't voluntarily hand over our guns.

This same "Illegal Gun Task Force" could come knocking on your door.

.....On the other hand it doesn't sound like he was doing anything bad when police raided him. .

Hello ?!!!! Are you kidding? "Hartman has a lengthy criminal record spanning three counties, starting with a second-degree burglary conviction in 1982 in Multnomah County to a 1995 attempted murder with a firearm." That means that there is a lot of stuff in between those dates and multiple felonies that he wasn't caught doing.

gotojail.gif

Monopoly_Go_Directly_To_Jail-T-link.jpg

He needs to be put in jail and stay there for a long time. This dude clearly had no business being within 10 city blocks of a stun gun, let alone a firearm, and he had 17 of them!

Just to be clear I was not trying in any way shape or form to justify this guys possession of guns at all. I was just pointing out that they did not find a bunch of guns in his trunk after he robbed a bank. If the only "new" crime he has committed since 1995 (over 15 years ago) is possessing firearms then we could all be in trouble if guns became illegal.

One bad law would mean that LE could be kicking in your door for "Civilian in possession of a Firearm"

Before we all start high-fiveing each other think about this, Could this felon gun roundup be perhaps a trial run for something larger??

Arent they infringing on this mans second amendment rights? Should we not be standing behind him and supporting his rights as stated under the constitution? It is a inaliable right to own and bear arms isnt it?
It is my view that there are certain individuals whos should not have guns. This is a model example.

James Ruby

Completely agree that a felon should not be able to own guns unless the law determines an exemption. The cops did a good job getting guns away from someone like this. When is the police auction? lol

I have been told countless times on this board that a right cannot be taken away - how can we take it away legally and still call it a right - I am confused.

James Ruby

So if it can be infringed on is it really a right or do we just call it that in hopes that one day it might be a right again. I would argue that it is no longer a right since it can be legally taken from you. If it can be taken from you then it can be given to you so is it really a privledge for being a good citizen?

I am posing serious questions - I am not looking for a fight and I am not pointing this question at anyone in particular - I am looking for honest thoughts on this reasoning ?

James Ruby

Rights and freedoms are an illusion. What we have are liberties, privileges, and permissions. There are a big differences. Liberties are conditionally granted freedoms that can be taken away. When I hear people boast about their rights I think yes, you have permission to do what you are doing, good for you.

Those that think they have unconditional freedom are deluded, sorry. "Give me liberty or give me death" might as well say "give me permission to do things I want to do or kill me". This may have been the land of the free, home of the brave at some point, but now the description doesn't fit. That isn't an Anti-American statement, just a statement of fact. Those that think they are 'free' please try to stop paying (illegal and unconstitutional) Federal income taxes, try to leave the country with all assets in tow, protest against something publically, leave but stop paying taxes back to the USA, etc and see just how free you are in reality. Yes, we do have more liberties than a lot of people in other countries. The key word is Liberties. The liberties I have at this point I am happy with because I know that here in the US we will have less and less and never more. Happy while they last, per se. Of course, I am aware that no brown person 7400 miles away is trying to 'take my freedoms'. I don't let the Cartoon News Network do my thinking for me.

It's been a long time since I read the US Constitution, but somewhere it details that individual States can restrict the rights of convicted felons---and all of the States do that. Most States do not allow felons to vote, and ALL of them prohibit possession of firearms; some even prohibit a felon being NEAR a firearm possessed by someone else, such as in a car or private home. Basically, the Constitution says that convicted felons do not have full constitutional rights, and all of the States and courts see it that way.

I saw the noon news report of this press conferance. I am glad the task force is active and effective, but they always foul the reality of non-criminal gun ownership, and try to make ALL guns look evil and dangerous. The SKS is now an "assault weapon?" Jeepers! The Assistant Chief could not help himself, and glibly commented that the "military-style" guns were " easily capable of being converted to full-auto." Oh, sure, in your machine shop. Gah!..................................elsullo

my opinion if your a thief and do burglary and attempted murder with a gun and are a convicted felon we need his a$$ in prison period the cops are trying to do there job. its this government messed up not the police

Rights and freedoms are an illusion. What we have are liberties, privileges, and permissions. There are a big differences. Liberties are conditionally granted freedoms that can be taken away. When I hear people boast about their rights I think yes, you have permission to do what you are doing, good for you.

Those that think they have unconditional freedom are deluded, sorry. "Give me liberty or give me death" might as well say "give me permission to do things I want to do or kill me". This may have been the land of the free, home of the brave at some point, but now the description doesn't fit. That isn't an Anti-American statement, just a statement of fact. Those that think they are 'free' please try to stop paying (illegal and unconstitutional) Federal income taxes, try to leave the country with all assets in tow, protest against something publically, leave but stop paying taxes back to the USA, etc and see just how free you are in reality. Yes, we do have more liberties than a lot of people in other countries. The key word is Liberties. The liberties I have at this point I am happy with because I know that here in the US we will have less and less and never more. Happy while they last, per se. Of course, I am aware that no brown person 7400 miles away is trying to 'take my freedoms'. I don't let the Cartoon News Network do my thinking for me.

Try reading a constitution. The founding fathers certainly thought men had rights - they fought, sacraficed and died for the notion. So did generations of your forebears. I can certainly understand the point of view that some should not possess firearms, it's the easy fix that doesn't fix anything. Punish the crime. It's the real fix for the problem. Sufficient penalties to create a real deterrent to any crime will almost always work. When it fails, you are dealing with an individual that cannot funtion in society - smoke em or lock em away to rot.
Once you put yourself in the position of fiddling with rights, which according to the framers of the constitution were derived directly from the creator, you move away from the idea that we are a nation of laws to a nation of men - from there it's all downhill fast. If his rights can be removed, it won't be long until someone who thinks they are better than you comes after yours for increasingly trivial reasons.

This is kind of a moot argument, because we're already there. From a practical standpoint, you are absolutely correct - you have no rights. You are wholly owned, lock, stock, and barrel by a criminal elite. Your rights have been gradually eroded over the years - sometimes well meaning souls who thought they knew better than the rest of us, and other times by sociopathic politicians who were looking for the power and control to bleed you dry. You are manipulated and used from the very second you step out on the planet.

My point is that it was not supposed to be this way. There is a slim chance to restore this nation to the republic it once was as the globalist scum sprint for the finish line to consolidate their grip on the country. This sad story has played out with exactly the same script many times alll over the world. Are you watching Greece? Ireland? Spain? Portugal? IMF riots are coming soon to our shores as the bankers strip the country clean. Where did all the TARP bailout money go? Wake up. All it would take is for you to wake up and say no - just ask little Iceland.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top