Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Police Seek Fee Increases

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by LetsDoThis, May 17, 2010.

1. LetsDoThis

LetsDoThis Milwaukie, Oregon Member

2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Wow, ...

3. toobigtofail

toobigtofail PDX Member

I don't mind paying ten dollars but thirty? So they can talk on the phone for five minutes? That's ridiculous. All of this should be done over the computer anyway, with no cost at all. There is certainly no reason to make it a phone call with a live person.

4. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

From $10 to $28 ? Fishermans in Ore City already charges $40 !

5. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

Well, I do mind. This is a tax guised as a "service". OR CHL holders should not have to go thru a bg check with every firearm purchase.:angry:

6. flinch444

flinch444 N. Idaho New Member

IMO, charging anything at all for our rights as Americans is un-constitutional.
    I think it is no different if they charge us a fee to access our 1st amendment rights. Why not charge us per word we write on the internet? Outrageous you say? Whats the difference?
    Anyone think the NICS checks really stop determined criminals anyway?
    If the feds cant control the drug trade why would the gun market be any different?
    Every one of these hoops we jump through, background checks, forms we fill out, regulations on what we can or cant own, is just a compromise of our freedoms.
    Well we dont want bad guys to have guns do we? Why not?
    Its already against the law to murder people. I say arm everyone, the morally corrupt will weed themselves out quicker.

Sorry if I got a little carried away with this little rant. It just rubs me the wrong way when I see our rights trampled on one step at a time, and people/our polititians, just sit back and accept it. What is acceptable in Oregon today, will be ok in Washington tomorrow, then Idaho, then.....

7. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

yes, this is high. We have already sent a letter to them. Of course, no reply. It sure looks, smells, walks, talks and feels like a new revenue source.

8. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

Why is it that Oregon is even involved in this when the FBI will do the "background check" for free. Many other states let the FBI handle it. This is an unneeded service that seems only employ more government workers and not an essential service.

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

When in the course of allowing states to tax our property have they not raised the taxes at will? We all knew they would do this and one day it will cost more to get a background than it does for the gun. It is back door gun control. Better get what you want before the price goes out of sight.

Are you going to pay a $100 dollar fee to buy a gun? What will happen when the fees go up that high?

jj

10. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Remember the LEO's are on our side! The extra money we will spend is for our benefits! It costs a little more for you to get the OK from your big brother. They are just trying to help the law abiding criminals...citizens.

The increase in fees needs to keep up with the rest of the governments increases. Have you renewed your car registration lately?

11. Father of four

:thumbup:

12. Father of four

We should all do what they want us to do.

Shut up! The few in government has chosen for the many citizens.. That is what they are doing again and we need to shut up and do what they say!

13. Father of four

A great statement from the Oregon Firearms Federation...

"Gun owners are not getting a "service" from the State Police. They are compelled to pay these taxes to exercise a "right."

14. Father of four

Deleted

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

There's an acronym for it... P.E.R.S.

16. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

This is really going to hurt gun sales, they know that and that is why they are doing it. Thirty bucks a gun for you to sell your property.

jj

17. Father of four

Are we not in a recession? Isn't Oregon's jobless rate very high? Why increase fees now?

Here is the proposal.

Program Areas Current Fee to Potential Fee

Core Services (AFIS/CCH) $ 0 to $1 per Transaction
    Firearms $10 to $28
    Set Aside Arrest/Conviction $80 to $120
    Name Check/Designated Agency $ 4 to $ 9
    Clearinghouse* $52 No anticipated increase
    Regulatory* $28 to $42
    Open Record $10 to $15
    Public Fingerprinting $20 to $28
    Concealed Handgun License (CHL) $15 to $30
    Copy/Own Record $33 to $34

*NOTE: Fees referenced above are for Oregon fees for service only and do not include applicable FBI regulatory fingerprint background check fees.

18. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

If I'm reading this right, you have to have your firearm with you when you apply for your concealed carry permit so they can record the make, model and serial numbers? If so it looks like I'm not going to get my oregon ccw:(

19. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Comcast and the other big network providers are already lobbying for just this very thing. We need Net Neutrality to be an actuality.

20. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

They also want to prioritize their content or "preferred content" (companies that pay them). I just want my service whether it is VOIP from Vonage or going to a website to work the same. Imagine if the phone company said calls from certain companies might not always get through.