Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Police secretary gave misinformation

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by dallen1x, May 17, 2013.

1. dallen1x

dallen1x Wil_Val, OR Active Member

I tried to find the school resource officer after I picked up my daughter from school today. I wanted to introduce myself and present my CWL and have a friendly conversation. I know this is something that I don’t need to do. It was an attempt at, ‘if you get a call and show up you’ll know we’ve already met and I’m in compliance with the laws’.

I stopped by the police station and found that the officer was not available. The secretary wanted to know why I need to see the officer so I explained my good intentions. She then explained that the schools have their own rules against carrying even with a CWL. I explained the state law. She then explained that there are other places like banks and again I politely explained that that was incorrect. There are some places like the Post Office that is federally owned that I can’t go into but banks are not federally owned. The Chief was in his office with the door open and may or may not have heard the conversation.

After I left I started thinking about that conversation and decided to go to City Hall. The Administrator was busy so I set up an appointment. I assume the officers know the laws better than their secretary but the whole interaction bothered me. I’m going to ask the Administrator just to touch base with the Chief, maybe over coffee, to ensure that the officers are up to speed.

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Don't assume police officers know the law either. I usually keep a copy of ORS 166 around for such things.

Angie, jjackffrost, Nwcid and 5 others like this.
  3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Also many disagree about the post office issue, if you have a CPL/CCP.. but it usually gets contentious

4. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

People disagree about the Post Office, but no one wants to be the test case...

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

There was one case where a man was convicted of carrying a weapon at the post office BUT he went into the fenced off employee/truck parking lot. As I remember the judge was OK with it up to that point. But, yes, you're right, I sure don't want to test it either. I park on the street, leave my knives, ammo and handguns in the car.

6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

From my layman's understanding of the law, banks and other businesses or dwellings are private property and the owner can enforce their own policies or rules regarding firearms. Courtrooms are also another No Guns Zone.

7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I'm really curious about post offices especially if they're leasing the property. I might end up with property one leases at some point.

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Nothing to be contentious about at all.
    If you enter the PO with a gun while doing LEGAL ACTIVITIES,such as walking down the street,you are legal to carry a gun in the PO.

So basically,if you are intended on illegal action at the post office it is illegal to carry there.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  9. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

the Code of Federal Regulations – Title 39 – which is named “Conduct on Postal Property” says “No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.”

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Blitzkrieg

Never been questioned and it's all good so far

11. Blitzkrieg

This is what I believe to be the case, which is fine with me

12. Blitzkrieg

There's an exception for legal carry.. and BTW you can ship many firearms USPS. I will never go anywhere without a gun and I have a lot more hand to hand abilities than most. Just seen too much

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. speeddemon94

I'm not saying that I go anywhere without my pistol, and I know you can ship firearms. I'm just saying there is a federal code for this, and there have been many lost lawsuits over the post office's silly over reaching rules. For some reason, the courts just love to side with them.

14. Blitzkrieg

Will that help you if you or one of your loved ones are being buried, my friend? Life is all about priorities

15. speeddemon94

Right, like I said, I don't leave home without it, amongst other things...

16. Blitzkrieg

There we are

17. speeddemon94

I was just being informative.

18. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If I have a CHL and I'm carrying my CW for self-defense purposes, then that is an "official purpose". ;)

19. jjackffrost

jjackffrost central oregon Active Member

20. speeddemon94

I know, but have to play devil's advocate every now and then. The fact is, many people have fought it and lost with the Postal Nazis. It's just a at your own risk type of situation.

I am a complete advocate of repealing ALL firearms laws that have been put on the books, but don't want to see allies in trouble for silly things like accidental printing.