JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I am correct, he was in possession of contraband items outside of the firearms he possessed legally. If it is only the batons that were illegal I cannot see how any of this over-reaction is justified. If he possessed illegal explosive devices I can see where he would lose his carry permit since he is guilty of a serious crime and a CCW permit is conditional on not having committed such crimes.

If I read the article correctly, he was actually charged with illegal possession of tear gas and explosive devices. The batons possession was an "also charged with" situation.

It was "explosive pepper ball projectiles". I hate to make guesses/judgements (the reporter already did a good enough job at that), but it's most likely something like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-spray_projectile

which are less-than lethal crowd control devices. Of course, adding the term "explosive" to the description makes the article that much more interesting to read. Illegal to own? Apparently, but bfd. This guy is getting crucified for owning batons and crowd control devices, it's ridiculous.

Did he hurt anyone?

Has he ever hurt anyone?

Then blow off.

I agree with that to a degree...but I do still believe he has to follow the law of the land. If he possess illegal items he needs to be punished appropriately.

I also feel that most people would sing a different tune if someone walked into a gun shop and disheveled, dirty, talking to themselves, and acting erratically then purchased a gun and shot up a school resulting in the death of their child. They would not be saying "he had no priors" but instead would have been outraged as to why someone showing clear signs of instability was allowed to buy a gun. So behavior does play a big factor in determining how a situation should be dealt with and just saying someone has not done anything wrong before does not mean you ignore other important factors. This does not necessarily apply in this particular case though.

I think this was posted a while ago, but along the same lines.

Federal agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) arrested a Spokane, Washington, man after finding a huge arsenal of military-grade weapons in a storage facility he was renting.
Ronald L. Struve, 65, is charged with illegally possessing automatic weapons including grenade launchers, rockets, machine guns and plastic explosives, and illegally storing them.
During the search of Struve's Spokane home, agents found anti-government literature, including a bumper sticker reading, "End the Fed," an example of the hostility of anti-government extremists to the Federal Reserve. Right-wing anti-government extremists (the so-called "patriot" movement) generally believe that Federal Reserve Notes (i.e., paper money) are not legitimate currency, and advocate repealing the entire Federal Reserve U.S. banking system. Recent "End-the-Fed" rallies have taken place across the United States promoting legislation to repeal the Federal Reserve Act.
Struve's attorney characterized his client's ideology as "unusual political views."
Agents were first alerted to the situation in early November, after the rent for Struve's public storage locker went unpaid and the lot auctioned off the contents. The man who purchased the contents brought the weapons home, but called the ATF after realizing that many of the items were illegal to possess, including over seven pounds of C-4 plastic explosives.
Months of investigation connected the items to Struve, who has reportedly not denied ownership.
Following his January 6, 2009, arrest, agents searched two additional storage units and a stored vehicle belonging to and leased to Struve, where they discovered more weapons.
In part, agents have seized 37 machine guns, a Russian sniper rifle, an AK-47 assault rifle, two grenade launchers, 54 grenades, 12 silencers, the C-4 explosives, and various machine gun parts that are illegal to own without federal licenses. Over 30 legal firearms are also currently being kept in federal custody for safekeeping while the investigation continues.
According to the authorities, Struve told the agents that he did not have any intention of selling the weapons, but believed that he would need to use them at some point in the future.
Struve was transferred from Spokane to Seattle, where he appeared in federal court for a preliminary hearing on January 23. He was ordered held without bond as a danger to the community and a flight risk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top