JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Where did I go wrong? The officer is called to a domestic disturbance which gives him the right to be on the property. He is accosted by dogs. His first decision is to tas them. His boss says to shoot them. The owner kills the cop.

Since this is not premeditated, it's only second degree murder. The guy gets to spend the rest of his life in prison, unless killing a cop is an aggravated offense where he can still get death. I love my dogs, but not that much. If it was a possibility, I would have tried to go drag the dogs off, but I don't know how that went down.

I say the shooter is screwed.

I think this is taking a somewhat expected detour. This isn't about some doped out criminal breaking into your yard in the middle of the night with the intent of torturing and killing Old Yeller. While it brings up the animal vs. human debate, it's more subtle than that.

A police officer is investigating a domestic violence call. The male involved is not cooperative, says something to the effect of 'get a warrant' regarding the officer being there. There are dogs involved, and at some point a supervisor is alleged to have ordered a subordinate officer to 'shoot the dogs.' Why? The article doesn't say, but the implication is that it was punitive in nature and more of a 'bubblegum you' to the male involved and not really necessary. There is no indication either way (at least as far as I read), yet people, depending on their own particular reasons, seem to have already figured this out. Furthermore, the (now) dead officer had a stun gun out, not an actual firearm, yet was shot to death because the supervisor ordered him to shoot the dogs, not because he was actually in the act of shooting the dogs.

I think we all know people love their pets. It's natural and nobody is saying to not love pets, nor are people implying that pets should not be respected. Yes, animals deserve respect, which is why animal abuse is a crime.

I agree with you Puma.

I would not have shot the officer. But if he had shot my dog i would have sued him and the police department. If my dog was not attacking the officer but only barking, then that officer would have murdered my dog.

I believe the same should go for anyone on mine or your property.

Edit: You, I or anyone should be able to defend our loved ones.

I suppose if I'm stating what I would do in that situation, I would also like to say that I would never sic my dogs on someone, especially a police officer. Partly because I don't want my dog to get hurt, and also because I don't want to shoot anybody. My dogs are for my family's companionship, not for protection!

Regarding the article, I agree it lacks in detail. Perhaps we can find a better source than thedailymail.co.uk?

In the line of duty, while performing the duties thereof.

If what you say is fact then why is if a thug kills a K9 dog the punishment is not the same as and actual policeman
your argument is confusing. You point a gun to shoot my dog I'll likely shoot back.
they are family
their are so many self appointed experts on here

Ok gunner3456, so cops get a free pass to kill your dogs? What about a non-LEO trespasser?

Apples and oranges. I didn't get it that the cop was a trespasser. I got it that he was called there for a domestic disturbance. I don't know the whole story of course, but if the wife called the cops, then he had her permission to be there. If he believed there was a crime in progress, he had a right to be there.

I don't believe the cops killed the dogs. I don't even see where a firearm was pointed at the dogs.

I don't know what the heck happened, except I suspect the shooter will never get out of prison.

Now, a non-leo trespasser with a gun threatening my dogs on my property? 'Nother story.

If what you say is fact then why is if a thug kills a K9 dog the punishment is not the same as and actual policeman
your argument is confusing. You point a gun to shoot my dog I'll likely shoot back.
they are family
their are so many self appointed experts on here

Because dogs and people are not the same. The only reason I'd point a gun at your dog is if I honestly believed it was about to attack me or someone else, and you're ok with shooting me because I'm defending my own life or that of another person? That is truly insane.

Animals are not the same as humans when it comes to "family." If you really don't value your child's life more than your dog's life, you are truly a twisted individual. I've had pets and kids, and there really is no comparison.

BTW, I never claimed to be an expert at anything. I offer my opinion and belief, and sometimes I'm wrong. It's called being human.

ETA: I'm speaking about a general people vs. animal philosophy. There are plenty of specific people on this planet that I think have zero (or negative) value to earth, and who I would value less than a lab rat.

I agree with you Puma.

I would not have shot the officer. But if he had shot my dog i would have sued him and the police department. If my dog was not attacking the officer but only barking, then that officer would have murdered my dog.

I believe the same should go for anyone on mine or your property.

Edit: You, I or anyone should be able to defend our loved ones.

there was a situation like that here in the pacific northwest not too long ago where and officer was jogging in a neighborhood when the dog that all the neighborhood kids played with everyday came out a barked at him and he turned and shoot the dog right in front of the neighborhood kids all crying BTW and I think he ended up getting a pay raise and college tuition for all his kids and a atta boy form the mayor ,Cuz we can't have a dog bark at perfect people can we most of them not all but most think they are better than the tax payer and shoot anything that moves .I do feel bad for the surviving family but poor decisions leed to even worse actions by those they are paid to protect.

there was a situation like that here in the pacific northwest not too long ago where and officer was jogging in a neighborhood when the dog that all the neighborhood kids played with everyday came out a barked at him and he turned and shoot the dog right in front of the neighborhood kids all crying BTW and I think he ended up getting a pay raise and college tuition for all his kids and a atta boy form the mayor ,Cuz we can't have a dog bark at perfect people can we most of them not all but most think they are better than the tax payer and shoot anything that moves .I do feel bad for the surviving family but poor decisions leed to even worse actions by those they are paid to protect.

Holy moly... Breathe.

What the **** has happened to us, have we become so corse that we consider an animal (though loved) whos highest desire in life is often to roll in its own crap. To be a greater value than a person who was on a call to help other people... WTF is wrong with you?

And you call me "corse"? (It's coarse, btw)

Sounds right to me ...If you harm or threaten to harm a police dog that is cause to shoot for a police officer. It should be no different for the peolple they are protecting. Also police say watch what you are doing when using any type of weapon they should be held to same accord. If a police officer becomes unruly you should be able to taze them if on your property.And when it comes to threats with a weapon in hand he got what we would get.

My dog is not only my property, but a member of my family, and I will defend him, and he me, by any means necessary, up to and including the use of deadly force, and be damned who it be against.

Just my opinion, don't care how you feel about it. What I do is my business and I alone will bear any consequences of my actions. I am entitled to my beliefs and you to yours, regardless of what you believe, myself and others will always fight to protect your right to express them. "If your reading this, thank a teacher, since it's in English, thank a soldier"

I agree with you salmonriverjohn, but that is apples and oranges. Its was your dog. Your choice.

Yes father of four, it was my dog, and my choice. That said, I believe that NO animals life, whether it be a K-9 police dog or a family pet is on a par with a humans life, although there are those that act beneath the level of animals and I wouldn't so much mind reading their obituary in the local newspaper. This has gotten a little convoluted from you OP though. I believe I would have tried to extricate my animal from harms way if possible. This was a no win for the shooter, and he's lucky to have survived to face his day in court and it will be interesting to know the outcome. He made a decision and killed a man, a man that wont go home to see his family. I think I would have chose differently.

OK, I read and re-read the original article. It says:

A police officer killed while responding to a domestic disturbance in a small eastern Pennsylvania borough had pointed a stun gun at two dogs before being shot, court records reveal.
OK, so the officer "had pointed a stun gun" "BEFORE" being shot. (I suppose it could have been well before...)

'He tried to kill my dogs and pointed a gun in my face,' Hitcho said, according to the documents. 'I do not care if you a cop or not ...Unbelievable.'
OK, so the shooter is claiming that the officer had a gun in his face, and pointed at the dog. Did the shooter mistake a stun gun for a real gun? Or did the officer point a gun at the shooter?

the alleged gunman, 46-year-old George Hitcho Jr, said he had told Mr Lasso [Police officer -- edit pchewn] to get off his property and not come on unless he had a warrant, authorities said
OK so the shooter had already requested the officer to leave his private property.

Police Chief George Bruneio, who arrived after Mr Lasso requested assistance, instructed him to 'shoot the dogs' and that's when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired, authorities said.
So the police chief said "shoot the dogs" -- not "zap the dogs" or "tase the dogs" -- perhaps giving more evidence that the officer had a real gun and not a taser???

So IF this is true (officer asked to leave, officer points gun at homeowner and dog, police chief says "shoot the dog") -- then MAYBE it was justified for the homeowner to shoot the officer? The main reason would be: Homeowner feared for his own life because officer did not leave when asked and pointed a gun at the homeowner. NOT because the dog was threatened.

Last Edited:
I'm confused, what was the Chief doing while his officer was being shot? The article isn't very clear and almost indicates the Chief was right there next to the officer (at least that's how I read it) - it makes me wonder why the Chief didn't return fire...maybe he was down the street or something??

This article just smells of inaccuracies as I read it for the 3rd time....

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top