JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Birr said they determined even if the crash involved two civilians, no citations would have been issued based on the circumstances.

What Circumstances? I fail to see where not checking your blind spot and causing a wreak is ok?

Policeman causes wreck making u-turn. "Birr said they determined even if the crash involved two civilians, no citations would have been issued based on the circumstances."

Yeah right. If it was a citizen they would be charged with improper lane change, wreckless driving, crossing the double yellow line,etc....

I like this quote from a commenter about this subject from the link you provided Dragonsden73.

beaverfan wrote:

"I fully support the police and think they are extremely unappreciated for the work that they do, however that being said, that police officer was extremely lucky he didn't kill someone or himself with that reckless U-Turn. There is no excuse for putting the public's lives at danger like that, I don't care how hard your job is.

That being said, it was an accident, I'm sure that the officer did not intend to hurt anyone or cause an accident. Accident's happen and in this case everyone got out of it pretty lucky.

Let's be honest, if the officer gets cited he would probably lose his ability to be a patrol officer that drives his vehicle around, or at least it would significantly affect his career. I don't know what kind of record he has but I think it's best not to ruin someone's career over an accident, especially if they have done a lot of good for the community.

I would hope that the police department is as willing to give the public a break once in awhile, like this cop is getting"

Read more: <broken link removed>

Let's be honest, if the officer gets cited he would probably lose his ability to be a patrol officer that drives his vehicle around, or at least it would significantly affect his career.

Ask me if I care..He caused an accident he should be cited....

Remember all, Oregon is a "no fault" state. I've been rear-ended and the officer refused to write a ticket to the guy that plowed into me. Told me that the insurance companies would take care of it, which the rear-ender's did.

Just curious how does he deserve a ticket for just being a cop?

It was sarcasm. lol. Some people believe that police officers are in the right no matter what and are above criticism.

If it was a simple accident, I don't believe anyone should be cited. If he was responding to a emergency with lights and sirens, then he shouldn't have been cited. I guarantee if I made an illegal U-turn in the middle of Salem and caused a wreck, I would have been cited and so should he. It was an illegal act that caused the accident.

Just curious how does he deserve a ticket for just being a cop?

I was being sarcastic because (like Karma said) some people think that cops should get a free pass no matter what...and like some people obviously think in this thread- some cops should just be made an example of because they're cops.

It's the double-edge sword people play...kinda like the thug that says cops are never around when you need one then go crying about police brutality, racial profiling and saying that "snitches get stitches" to demoralize cooperating with the police.

Then people sit here and criticize everything they do. Obviously this is a free nation, and that is their right. I guess flag burning is a right as well...it doesn't mean I agree with it and I think people are stupid for being anti-cop and put them in the same boat as a flag burning, pot smoking hippy.

:s0155:

I was being sarcastic because (like Karma said) some people think that cops should get a free pass no matter what...and like some people obviously think in this thread- some cops should just be made an example of because they're cops.

It's the double-edge sword people play...kinda like the thug that says cops are never around when you need one then go crying about police brutality, racial profiling and saying that "snitches get stitches" to demoralize cooperating with the police.

Then people sit here and criticize everything they do. Obviously this is a free nation, and that is their right. I guess flag burning is a right as well...it doesn't mean I agree with it and I think people are stupid for being anti-cop and put them in the same boat as a flag burning, pot smoking hippy.

:s0155:

LOL. So let me get this straight. If I am critical of the actions taken by a single police officer, I am equal to a un-american dope smoker? lol.

I guess I would have to say that people who blindly support police, even when they are in the wrong are un-american to me. Our system is not based on a all powerful government with officers that can do anything to anyone.

The thing is that I am in no way against the police. Quite the opposite actually. I just believe that if a officer does something wrong he needs to be called on it, and held accountable like anyone else. There has to be accountability with a group that has a large amount of power with the potential for abuse.

LOL. So let me get this straight. If I am critical of the actions taken by a single police officer, I am equal to a un-american dope smoker? lol.

I guess I would have to say that people who blindly support police, even when they are in the wrong are un-american to me. Our system is not based on a all powerful government with officers that can do anything to anyone.

The thing is that I am in no way against the police. Quite the opposite actually. I just believe that if a officer does something wrong he needs to be called on it, and held accountable like anyone else. There has to be accountability with a group that has a large amount of power with the potential for abuse.

Did you even read the article?

He saw an accident and tried to turn around to help...but I guess that's what he gets for being a cop.

At least he owned up to it...too many times you hear of officers that get into wrecks that is their fault and they blame the other driver...he owned up to it and told the truth.

Tape reveals cops tried to frame her for crash - TODAY People - TODAYshow.com

Just so we're clear...I'm COMPLETELY against police corruption, brutality and abuse of authority. But this isn't any of those cases, this is just an accident that everyone needs to sit back, breathe and realize that cops are people too.

Did you even read the article?

He saw an accident and tried to turn around to help...but I guess that's what he gets for being a cop.

At least he owned up to it...too many times you hear of officers that get into wrecks that is their fault and they blame the other driver...he owned up to it and told the truth.

Tape reveals cops tried to frame her for crash - TODAY People - TODAYshow.com

Just so we're clear...I'm COMPLETELY against police corruption, brutality and abuse of authority. But this isn't any of those cases, this is just an accident that everyone needs to sit back, breathe and realize that cops are people too.

You are right. Cops are people too. Also, it is good that he owned up to being at fault. The only thing I was saying is that if I flipped a U-turn in the middle of Mission Street, I would get a citation. They said in the article that a civilian wouldn't have been issued a citation for that action and I was calling b.s. on it.

In WA MOST laws are written with exceptions for LEO. Here a cop can commit all kinds of felonies and would never be charged because he's a cop and is exempted from the law he's supposed to be upholding.

You know those cell phone laws in WA? Their exempt for LEOs...that's right ladies and gents, any on duty LEO can talk away on their cell phone then pull you over and cite you for doing it...

If I was a cop and talked on my cell phone while on duty I would never write someone the ticket- because that would be being a hypocrite. The laws themselves, however, need to be addressed.

You can't be mad at the cop for having the exclusion from the law, but the law maker. That's like being mad at your car for having a restricter plate on it when you're in NASCAR...be mad at the rules and those that make them, not those that are exempt from them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top