JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an ab initio leftie, my grandfather not only taught me to read at around 4 y/o, but to write using both hands, just in case something happened to one or the other. So I grew up using both hands equally without giving it much thought. It helps, too, that I have no master eye [probably too poor], so keeping both eyes open when shooting anything that goes bang or twang is not a problem either. Throwing is the same deal, of course.

Nothing to be smug about, just visible proof of being slightly more useful than a committed dextral.

However, I remain utterly amazed at the large number of people I encounter who can do NOTHING at all with the non-use hand.

Don't get me wrong, but watching Ian McCullom [sp] of 'Forgotten Weapons' can often leave me chuckling out loud. He has to be one of THE most left-handed people I've ever see in action in the dedicated light-hand world of guns. Watching him 'operating' the Colt 'Bulldog' Gatling replica a few years back is painful to watch as he cranks the operating handle backwards with his elbow in the air...way ta' go, Ian!!

I used to be WAY more adept using both hands for menial tasks in my younger days, and would even practice using my left hand for the same reasons, but when I returned to the civilian world where the likelihood of having a hand getting blown off was greatly reduced I haven't giving much conscious thought.

Ironically, 15-years ago managed to cut the left tendon that hyper-extends the last joint of your thumb into a right angle into the "Fonzi" thumbs up….

So if you are left handed....but use your right hand...is that a double date...Or are you cheating...:eek: :D
Andy

These days it's referred to as "digit fluid", "non-binary flappery", or "pan digital"… you can't say "pan-handed" because it hurts the feelings of the panhandlers on the freeway off-ramps holding those cardboard signs that usually end in "god bless".

Ba-da-dum…. Thank you, thank you. :s0108:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads