JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an ab initio leftie, my grandfather not only taught me to read at around 4 y/o, but to write using both hands, just in case something happened to one or the other. So I grew up using both hands equally without giving it much thought. It helps, too, that I have no master eye [probably too poor], so keeping both eyes open when shooting anything that goes bang or twang is not a problem either. Throwing is the same deal, of course.

Nothing to be smug about, just visible proof of being slightly more useful than a committed dextral.

However, I remain utterly amazed at the large number of people I encounter who can do NOTHING at all with the non-use hand.

Don't get me wrong, but watching Ian McCullom [sp] of 'Forgotten Weapons' can often leave me chuckling out loud. He has to be one of THE most left-handed people I've ever see in action in the dedicated light-hand world of guns. Watching him 'operating' the Colt 'Bulldog' Gatling replica a few years back is painful to watch as he cranks the operating handle backwards with his elbow in the air...way ta' go, Ian!!

I used to be WAY more adept using both hands for menial tasks in my younger days, and would even practice using my left hand for the same reasons, but when I returned to the civilian world where the likelihood of having a hand getting blown off was greatly reduced I haven't giving much conscious thought.

Ironically, 15-years ago managed to cut the left tendon that hyper-extends the last joint of your thumb into a right angle into the "Fonzi" thumbs up….

So if you are left handed....but use your right hand...is that a double date...Or are you cheating...:eek: :D
Andy

These days it's referred to as "digit fluid", "non-binary flappery", or "pan digital"… you can't say "pan-handed" because it hurts the feelings of the panhandlers on the freeway off-ramps holding those cardboard signs that usually end in "god bless".

Ba-da-dum…. Thank you, thank you. :s0108:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads