JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
KC police fire at backfiring van

Two Kansas City police officers who thought they were being shot at from inside a van returned fire Thursday night.

Only later did police realize that the van was actually backfiring and the man inside was not armed. He was not injured by the shots fired by police.

Windows of the police car were apparently shot out by the officers as they exited the patrol car.

The officers were dispatched on a report of shots being fired from a white van just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435.

When the officers got to the area they saw a white van parked on Gregory and pulled up near it. As they were getting out of the patrol car they heard the backfiring and fired their weapons. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Read more: <broken link removed>

Well, they did hit the van.............

zirv68.jpg

Phillip Ransom thought he had trouble Thursday night when his old van broke down on the side of the road, booming out backfires.

But that was when his troubles really began.

Two Kansas City police officers, mistaking the van’s backfires for gunshots, began firing at it.

It was a terrifying moment for the Kansas City man, who was unarmed and said he did not own a gun.

“I’m just an ordinary guy,” he said. “I go to work every day.”

Fortunately he was not hit. At least three bullets hit the van. Ransom said he did not know how many shots were fired.

“I wasn’t counting,” he said. “But it sounded like a lot.”

A department spokesman confirmed that Ransom was unarmed and said the officers have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

The incident occurred just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435. Ransom, who owns a janitorial service, said he was on his way home from work.

But his van didn’t make it, breaking down just a block from his home.

About the same time, someone called police and reported shots being fired.

Ransom learned later that a neighbor of his was the one who made the call after mistaking the sound of backfiring for gunfire.

The neighbor Friday was apologetic, but Ransom told him he would have done the same thing.

“We’re supposed to look out for each other,” he said. “It’s what we’re supposed to do.”

But Thursday night, Ransom, concerned that the vehicle might catch fire, stepped out of the van about the time the two officers arrived to investigate and began firing.

Ransom could only stand with his hands in the air and yell that he was not shooting.

“I guess they couldn’t hear me,” Ransom said Friday.

Besides the damage to Ransom’s van, windows of the patrol car were also shot out — apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.

Police and media reports initially described the incident as the police car being hit by a bullet fired from a suspect in the van.

On Friday afternoon, almost 24 hours after the encounter, Ransom said he was still shaken up. But being a small-business owner, Ransom could not call in sick and was headed out to a full night of work Friday.

“I only slept an hour or two last night,” he said. “I haven’t eaten since yesterday.”

The van, with its rear window shot out, remained in his driveway.

Ransom said a police attorney had called asking about damage, although the officers never apologized Thursday night.

More than anything, Ransom said he felt fortunate to be alive.

“It was definitely an ordeal,” he said.

Read more: <broken link removed>

windows of the patrol car were also shot out &#8212; apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.
This is the part I fail to understand. Were they aiming through the windows as they were shooting and did they continue to fire as they were getting out? Sounds like it was a-holes and elbows while they were scrambling to get out - lucky they did not shoot each other.

Never happen. He'll get his van fixed and a small check. He'll be sent on his way. The two cops will be back on duty in about a month.

Why not? I'm sure lawyers will be lining up for this one. I know there is more than enough dumb jurors to take care of him. :s0112:

A woman dumb enough to put a hot cup of coffee between her legs, gets a big payday. But a guy that gets shot at, minding his own business gets next to nada? :confused:

Why not? I'm sure lawyers will be lining up for this one. I know there is more than enough dumb jurors to take care of him. :s0112:

A woman dumb enough to put a hot cup of coffee between her legs, gets a big payday. But a guy that gets shot at, minding his own business gets next to nada? :confused:

Because that is how MOST of these claims are handled. Even when they make it to the news, they are paid off and sent on their way. Of course, one thing to remember is that not everyone is looking for a payday.

Why would these dopes fire their weapons when they could not identify a target? That's my biggest concern.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top