JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
interdasting.jpg

Awwww.....Come On Man.
Negative_waves.jpg

Is that you Joe?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....wear protection.
tin-foil-cat.jpg

I see this as a crackpot trying to block 5g on their home, not someone with "malicious intent" as the article suggests. Unintended consequences

The title is misleading. Emergency frequency bands weren't jammed, all were, like what would be used/done by LE in an emergency.

"In the last week, it had gotten worse with residents reporting disruptions to Wi-Fi, satellite and cell phone service."

I see this as a crackpot trying to block 5g on their home, not someone with "malicious intent" as the article suggests. Unintended consequences
From the article
Police tried to contact the resident through a doorbell security camera but got no response. They later got a search warrant and entered the house. Once inside, officers lost all radio communication. They found two signal jammers, disabled them and immediately regained service.

No arrests have been made. Investigators are analyzing the equipment. The resident could face charges related to disrupting public safety frequencies, KTVU reported.

"I can't imagine a Joe Blow citizen having that equipment to be used for anything other than malicious intent
I wonder what this Morgan Hill Mayor would think if he knew there is a legal, $29.95 handheld transceiver capable of TRANSMITTING on many public service frequencies - The Baofeng UV-5R.

Agreed. One of several theories on the motive and target (AT&T) of the nutbar in Nashville centers on his lunatic fringe beliefs, which included 5G paranoia, among some other wackadoodle notions. It isn't a huge stretch to imagine other certifiable types trying to block whatever technology they think is part of the grand conspiracy.

I wonder what this Morgan Hill Mayor would think if he knew there is a legal, $29.95 handheld transceiver capable of TRANSMITTING on many public service frequencies - The Baofeng UV-5R.
Few places are still using those frequencies now. Feds long ago told them they had to switch over. The old frequencies are still not legal to use but, not much on them any more. The Feds used the throw money around approach to coax municipalities to make the switch over which is VERY costly. One thing the new frequencies have not been able to stop though is how easy it is to jam them as was seen here.

Few places are still using those frequencies now.
Well, I don't know what you mean by 'those frequencies' but I am referring to the VHF - FM band from 150-174 Mhz which is very much in use by LE, Fire, medical, business, marine and a variety of other state & government agencies.

I listen to them often and the Baofeng UV-5R (and variants) are capable of receiving and transmitting on this entire band.

Last Edited:
Well, I don't know what you mean by 'those frequencies' but I am referring to the VHF - FM band from 150-174 Mhz which is very much in use by LE, Fire, medical, business, marine and a variety of other state & government agencies.

I listen to them often and the Baofeng UV-5R (and variants) are capable of receiving and transmitting on this entire band.
The feds have told them all they have to give those up soon. Can't remember when the final cut off date is but they have all been told the days are numbered and they will be forced off them. The "reason" the FCC gave years ago when they mandated this was they wanted them for "something else". Who knows but, they have been given a date certain that they have to have new equipment. Most large cites and counties switched years ago. Only thing still holding out are smaller communities where its harder to come up with the large lay out of cash. As the deadline gets closer the feds will offer more subsidies to help but, the last hold outs will be off those frequencies. This is for Emergency Responders last I looked. Now as for Commercial customers and marine? Who knows. FCC may allow them to keep using some. Its the Police and Fire that will not be there at all soon.

The feds have told them all they have to give those up soon. Can't remember when the final cut off date is but they have all been told the days are numbered and they will be forced off them.
After thinking about this I recalled something about it and did a little research to refresh my memory and you are partially correct but more specifically it was a regulation to switch to a 'narrow band' deviation on the frequencies they are using and NOT an entire frequency change.

The typical deviation on a frequency is 25 MHz and the plan was to require all public service users to switch to a 12.5 MHz deviation on their equipment by Jan 1, 2013 - unless licensees have a pre -approved waiver.

This was no problem with more modern equipment that could be programmed to the 12.5 MHz requirement but some older equipment still in use could not be and that is where the problem was with some small organizations having to buy new equipment which can be very expensive.

Knowing how the FCC operates I suspect as long as they had the waivers they requested and the others could modify their equipment they forgot about it.

The FCC is probably the most bureaucratic GOV ORG of all. Probably 95% paper pushing, BS rules and policy making that rarely go anywhere and the remaining 5% actual action.

After thinking about this I recalled something about it and did a little research to refresh my memory and you are partially correct but more specifically it was a regulation to switch to a 'narrow band' deviation on the frequencies they are using and NOT an entire frequency change.

The typical deviation on a frequency is 25 MHz and the plan was to require all public service users to switch to a 12.5 MHz deviation on their equipment by Jan 1, 2013 - unless licensees have a pre -approved waiver.

This was no problem with more modern equipment that could be programmed to the 12.5 MHz requirement but some older equipment still in use could not be and that is where the problem was with some small organizations having to buy new equipment which can be very expensive.

Knowing how the FCC operates I suspect as long as they had the waivers they requested and the others could modify their equipment they forgot about it.

The FCC is probably the most bureaucratic GOV ORG of all. Probably 95% paper pushing, BS rules and policy making that rarely go anywhere and the remaining 5% actual action.
Thanks, most of this goes over my head as this is not my field of expertise by a long stretch. I only knew something was going on as I have long used a scanner to listen. First they all went to one new system, then another, and then another as years went on. All I cared about is finding what they were on to listen and was reading explanations by people who talk in a language I don't understand :s0140:
I know the last big swap they did here cost a HUGE some of money and when they admitted they were doing it they said the feds did kick in a good amount to help ease the pain so to speak. :D

Last Edited:
NOW - a real 'bone of contention' is with some LE municipalities transitioning to VHF 'Trunked' radio systems.

While they are not particularly 'new' they seem to be more problematic than effective.

I have heard Deschutes county's' system is really having problems with some 'lag time' between transmission and receiving and a multitude of other problems as well.

The title is misleading. Emergency frequency bands weren't jammed, all were, like what would be used/done by LE in an emergency.

"In the last week, it had gotten worse with residents reporting disruptions to Wi-Fi, satellite and cell phone service."
Another possibility is bleed over. When you transmit with a lot of power on equipment not designed for it, you can begin to transmit on more than just your intended frequency. So he may have turned the juice up a little too high and started spraying RF all over the place. This was a common occurrence in the early CB days with power mics and jacked-up amplifiers.

Another cause can be a poorly connected or improperly tuned antenna. If you combine that with too much power, hoo-boy can you cause a ruckus.

edit: clarity

Last Edited:
NOW - a real 'bone of contention' is with some LE municipalities transitioning to VHF 'Trunked' radio systems.

While they are not particularly 'new' they seem to be more problematic than effective.

I have heard Deschutes county's' system is really having problems with some 'lag time' between transmission and receiving and a multitude of other problems as well.
When they went trunked here it worked great. So never stopping the lets fix things that aint broke they went to Digital. Then the fun began. Lots of dead spots and problems. Radio's will often not work at all inside buildings. Many of the Cops HATE it as they find they need to use their cell phone when they are inside. Not to mention the damn radios are EXPENSIVE now. Every portable and vehicle unit now costs enough to buy a decent used car. That is a hell of a hole in the budget. When they went with the Trunking it was great for them now having location and ID for each unit. The old system if one Cop was in trouble and they could not understand him the only way they had to track him was call every Officer on that shift one by one till they found the one missing. The one poor guy got shot in the face, slug took out a couple teeth. He was down and trying to call for help but they could not understand him and it took a frustratingly long time to figure out who was in trouble. So they got a system that fixed this, then went to a system that will often leave Officers with no way to call for help inside a damn building. :mad:

When they went trunked here it worked great. So never stopping the lets fix things that aint broke they went to Digital. Then the fun began. Lots of dead spots and problems. Radio's will often not work at all inside buildings. Many of the Cops HATE it as they find they need to use their cell phone when they are inside. Not to mention the damn radios are EXPENSIVE now. Every portable and vehicle unit now costs enough to buy a decent used car. That is a hell of a hole in the budget. When they went with the Trunking it was great for them now having location and ID for each unit. The old system if one Cop was in trouble and they could not understand him the only way they had to track him was call every Officer on that shift one by one till they found the one missing. The one poor guy got shot in the face, slug took out a couple teeth. He was down and trying to call for help but they could not understand him and it took a frustratingly long time to figure out who was in trouble. So they got a system that fixed this, then went to a system that will often leave Officers with no way to call for help inside a damn building. :mad:
And to think they probably could have achieved most of their goals with PTT phones. :rolleyes:

as I have long used a scanner to listen.
I have a pretty good mulit band scanner in my shop I listen to. I have a good 'ol 'Shakespeare' fiberglass vertical marine antenna that is matched for the 150 ish MHz frequency range and I have it about 15' of the ground and I can typically pick up LE & other agencies around the state.

I have a pretty good mulit band scanner in my shop I listen to. I have a good 'ol 'Shakespeare' fiberglass vertical marine antenna that is matched for the 150 ish MHz frequency range and I have it about 15' of the ground and I can typically pick up LE & other agencies around the state.
I had a Shakespeare antenna on the roof for a CB base station years ago. That thing had better range than a lot of more expensive ground plane antennas and it had a way higher wind rating.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top