JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WOW! A tragedy, to say the least. Would one label this as a "FREAK" accident due to totality of the timing (shots fired from inside, police response at the same time as the shots, entry to the home), or something else? Woman caller, man inside with a gun, would be interesting to hear the 911 tapes (if available)...Time delay for a 911 dispatcher to broadcast caller details to responding Officers and the likes.

Thoughts and prayers for the family and affected Officers...

More details:

Aurora police shooting victim identified by neighbors

Police must have responded in record time. I guess the lesson to be learned is, when the cops show up, ditch the gun.

Of course you are right, but to be fair to the homeowner, we really don't know what happened at this point.

BTW, this was Aurora CO, don't they shoot all the gun owners?

Lesson I got was not to let anyone call the PD until all the shooting is well past. ;)

Attorney: Aurora police should not have shot man defending his family
579108435_750x422.png
Aurora police and the Adams County District Attorney have refused to answer follow-up questions about the incident, saying it could harm the ongoing investigation.
Translation: lets get our stories straight and delete body cam footage before we try to explain how we shot and killed a decorated 73-year old Army vet who was defending his grandson.

Lesson I got was not to let anyone call the PD until all the shooting is well past. ;)
You would tell your loved ones not to call 911 until your say so? That sounds like horrifically bad advice, even if it's remotely possible the intruder bests you or slips past you and heads straight for your loved ones. A 30 or 60 second delay is life or death.

I think better advice is: police have a "gun free zone" effective for all civilians in their immediate presence (or even items that might resemble a gun, like an iPhone: Sacramento police shot at a man 20 times in his own yard, thinking his iPhone was a gun).

I can see it happening if the police were that fast.

Police hear the shots, come in and see a man with a gun. they dont know who is who at the moment. Also the man could have though it was more baddies and raised his weapon, I have a feeling that his hearing would not be so good unless he had the forethought of hearing protection

I am sure we will find out more in the coming days

Tragedy (for all involved), but real world tragedies do occur.

Not much one can plan for every circumstance.

Will not be changing any methods, other than a reminder that if time allows to make the call before defending ourselves, that to be sure to inform dispatch that the homeowners are armed. Will it help doing so? No idea.

I agree that the body cam is the only way to see if it was out of perceived threat ....or panic.
Either way really crappy incident for homeowner and police alike.
If he was shot out of confusion I'd suspect the officer feels like s**t.

Thoughts and prayers to the family
Shoot first ,call cops later

Speaking from my experience...
If you can , have the person who calls 911 , describe you , the gun owner , what you look like and what you are wearing , where you are at in the house etc... as the call to 911 is on going.

Granted this is subject to the "tactical requirements" during the situation and also depends on the caller to be collected enough to accurately describe you at a highly stressful time...

As for the OP...
Thoughts and prayers go out to all in involved.
Andy

You would tell your loved ones not to call 911 until your say so? That sounds like horrifically bad advice, even if it's remotely possible the intruder bests you or slips past you and heads straight for your loved ones. A 30 or 60 second delay is life or death.

I think better advice is: police have a "gun free zone" effective for all civilians in their immediate presence (or even items that might resemble a gun, like an iPhone: Sacramento police shot at a man 20 times in his own yard, thinking his iPhone was a gun).
We have talked about this and basically the answer is my wife will not have time to be calling the police. If the door is kicked in or a window is broken out and someone is trying to gain entry I will arm myself and go repel the intruder. I wake easy and am about 85% operational in seconds. She wakes slow and will need time to arm herself. By the time she has retrieved her pistol and is ready to use it if need be I will have either taken care of the problem or had the problem take care of me. Won't be a whole lot of time to be calling the police. And I don't want her fumble effing around with the phone when she needs to be ready. The police will be called after the situation is handled.

Really there is no end to the different scenario's that could unfold. But that is the gist of how it will be handled in our household.

What a horrific, terrifying and sad event for the family. From the details I have gathered, Gary Black is a hero. I too feel for the officer(s), I'm sure they feel horrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this preventable tragedy.

Thank you for your service to our country and may you rest in peace, Mr. Black.

Not looking good for Aurora PD: Officer who shot Aurora homeowner was in another deadly shooting in June

Officer who shot and killed a decorated 73 year old Army vet who was defending his grandson also shot and killed a man in June. And there's this:
Among those who called 911 was Jeanette Black, and she gave dispatchers a very specific description of her husband and what he was wearing, Mohamedbhai said. He also said evidence suggests that while Black was inside his home the officer who shot him was outside...

It reads like the officer shot into the house from the outside. Kind of like the HRT did at Waco and pretty much every bad movie or TV show I've ever seen.

Purely speculation on my part, I'll wait for more information as is appropriate.

One thing I don't have to speculate on is the anti gun-owner cabal jumping on this as PROOF that only the police should be armed. You know... highly trained professionals.

One thing I don't have to speculate on is the anti gun-owner cabal jumping on this as PROOF that only the police should be armed. You know... highly trained professionals.
I think this incident proves our "highly trained professionals" need more training, or better training to weed out the mall cop flunkies.

Army Veteran Shot And Killed By Police After Defending Family From Naked Intruder

Army Veteran Shot And Killed By Police After Defending Family From Naked Intruder

I am guessing that police saw he had a gun and shot him thinking he was the intruder, or they just acted according to their training.

Whatever happened, whether they are at fault or not, this seems to be the increasing case where police shoot someone just because they have a gun.

Be really careful if the police have been called or have arrived or are likely to arrive at a scena of violence and you have a firearm. The police do not know who is who when they come upon such a scene, and increasingly everybody sees not a person with a gun, but a threat, and increasingly act accordingly, sometimes appropriately, sometimes not.

It is sad that this little boy not only was attacked, but now he will know his grandfather, a hero who saved him in defense of his life, was shot and killed by police. I am going to assume that will be a very hard thing to cope with whenever he sees a cop.

Be careful. It isn't over until it is over.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top