JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The story I read says they still don't know if the homeowner was armed.

Questions in my mind - did they announce themselves before entering the house? Why didn't they knock on the front door first, to see if anyone was home?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I smell a lawsuit - from the homeowner, and I suppose even more training, for the officers.

The part that bothers me in these cases is that the LEO'S are always placed on paid administration leave...paid of course
They're never found to be in the wrong and always blame the victim/homeowner/driver for not complying. Kind of like the ladies in that pick up truck who were shot in Torrance, CA a few years ago.
I hope they get their a$$e$ sued and the officers get hit with major criminal charges. But we all know it'll be a slap on the hand if anything happens at all. SMH.

"Officers weren't given a street address, but went to a home matching the description given by a 911 caller, Alexander said."

So they just took a chance on it being the right one? They responded to a description of the home? How many blue/brown/brick/one story/two story/ houses were they looking for? I have five homes in my cul-de-sac and they are all either a few shades of color away from being the same with two of them being a heather gray color. All are two story. All have porches. 4 of them have SUVs parked in front of them. All of them have trees out front.

I better make sure my house numbers are large and well lit.

The idea that they made entry on a house based upon this information is fudgknuckling galactically stupid. They learned the hard way that using some smarts and getting an address so you know what house you should be at is a better plan; you know, so you don't go to the wrong one by mistake. Even better, how about having the 911 caller actually point you to the house instead of relying on what the caller said the house looks like?

Sounds to me like someone had a barking dog and a neighbor that wanted them SWATed...

Let us remember that media reports are almost all wrong, and initial reports are always all wrong.

I doubt it's as simple as "hey, I bet that darkly lit house over there is it. Let's go force entry with guns drawn and see."

So you're saying he was the only one in that room responsible enough to have a gun....

Kidding aside, it seems like as likely he was shot as shot himself. Time will tell. The victim survived and doesn't sound critical (but who knows... initial reports). Hopefully they don't charge HIM with a crime anyway. Yea, this was our fault. But he still bears responsibility for having been born. The thing is, I just have to wonder how often this sort of crap happens and we never hear about it because nobody happened to get shot. I get the feeling police go busting up into peoples houses in some regions in this country with a degree of regularity - especially on the Wrong Coast cities where gun ownership is effectively illegal (no idea what Atlanta is like).

I also feel like it's the fact that a dog was shot that really made this a national headline. :rolleyes:

The report that I read stated the cops found the back screen and entry door were unlocked, so they assumed it was the right house.
Let's assume they open it and the dog starts to bark, then the homeowner wakes up to investigates what's going on.
The real facts may emerge since the homeowner isn't dead.

The report that I read stated the cops found the back screen and entry door were unlocked, so they assumed it was the right house.
Let's assume they open it and the dog starts to bark, then the homeowner wakes up to investigates what's going on.
The real facts may emerge since the homeowner isn't dead.

Cops open door, dog comes running and snarling, cops shoot dog, homeowner wakes in the middle of the night to the sound of his dog going ape bubblegum and then GUNSHOTS.... I can absolutely 100% guarantee you I'd have been going straight into combat seek-and-destroy mode, and fast.

What gun-owning home owner hasn't played various home invasion scenarios out in his mind? If he's a law abiding citizen, he has absolutely no expectation of police invading his home - so anybody busting in the middle of the night and shooting his dog are clear enemy combatants. You are clear to engage.

As soon as the dog starting barking inside, the cops should have realized that this isn't the house being burglarized.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top