JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Purge Mode deactivated?

1fhzftax58871.jpg

the law is clear the police have no duty to protect
The US Supreme Court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens who are forced to pay the police for their "services."

In the cases DeShaney vs. Winnebago and Town of Castle Rock vs. Gonzales, the supreme court has ruled that police agencies are not obligated to provide protection of citizens. In other words, police are well within their rights to pick and choose when to intervene to protect the lives and property of others — even when a threat is apparent.

just two of many

It's good information to know when you're debating anti-gunners.

Three SCOTUS cases that have bearing on this...
  • Warren v. DC, 1981
  • DeShaney v. Winnebago County Social Services, 1989
  • Castlerock v. Gonzales, 2005
I think there was also a federal level case that upheld this after the Parkland school shooting, as people tried to sue the police for their cowardice (not all the cops were cowards but there seemed to be a lot at Parkland).

I cannot find the citation, but about 25-30 years ago, there was a case in which a woman called the police, as she heard noises inside her home. The police did a cursory search and left. After that, an intruder came out of his hiding place in the house and sexually assaulted the woman. The court held that the police had no responsibility toward any given individual - only toward the welfare of society in general.

The police "generally" do only what the statutes and court decisions allow them to. The law, no matter how clearly written, means only what a given judge or jury, in a given case, on a certain day, say that it means.

So, do we have a police problem, or a judge & juror problem?

Like my Dad the LEO said after being shafted by the "unmentionable political climate within his agency", we are required to answer calls only. Tie our hands and shaft us at ever turn, promote a turkey basted single mom who was afraid to answer calls, the woman who would not sign off on ATF forms as the CLEO because she stated citizens have no right to NFA items....promoted this person to the position of Police Chief when other individuals were more qualified and had more years of experience and education...yep, just answer calls from this point on.

It has been this way for a long time - I believe for centuries since the inception of the country - or longer.

When I was in the USCG (mid 70s) it was common knowledge and often mentioned that first responders did not have any legal responsibility to actually respond, and that we were not to tell someone we were responding until we actually were.

Even then, we were not to say we were going to help them, just that we were underway. If we could not get to them or could not find them (all too often), then too bad so sad - and yes, there have been suits brought against the USCG/et. al. and it was the courts (all the way to the SCOTUS) who have said time and time again, that it is not the gov's responsibility to protect/respond.

Not that we didn't try usually (we had three boats and sometimes 10X as many calls for help) - but as many have pointed out, your safety is your own responsibility and far too few people have a clue as to that fact of life.

Learn to be your own response. Defense and medical. Train. It's pretty simple really. Be prepared.

The Gentleman who made the video speaks the truth, what is divisive about that. After the year we all just went through, I don't think that this is news to anyone (Were all kind of on our own out here).

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top