JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/gunshots_fired_into_northwest.html

It's a common story. You can't rely on a ubiquitous police presence to keep you safe. Portland has about 1000 sworn personnel. They'll respond when they can, investigate later, and may or may not figure out who did it. In the meantime, you or a loved one may be dead. The police may regret your loss, but it's not their responsibility to keep someone from harming you or your family. "To Protect and To Serve" is the LAPD's motto. They probably do a better job of protecting citizens down there. ;)

Like I always say "911 is so they have an accurate recording of your death".

Also it is "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

the comments to the article are pretty crazy.... some are clapping their hands in glee a Ford Excursion got shot up.,... as if that's what SHOULD happen to someone's vehicle. Oh well.. at least the press didn't make a fuss about "dangerous handguns" needing to be removed from the hands of civilians. Two or three cars got hit, one apartment was shot into..... no one injured (Someone was looking out for the folks thereabouts..... that area is CROWDED, lots of folks about that area).

Yeah, something DOES need to be done about the drug problem, and NOT throwing another five billion at the problem..... a change of plan. What is not working is the very thing that was guaranteed to work..... and isn't.

This country was founded on personal responsibility and among other freedoms, the freedom to choose to protect yourself or not. If you choose not to... you get to deal with the consequences.

Most Americans have shown they are willing to let that and a bunch of other freedoms be taken over and controlled by the government. The last election proved it. TARP, Cap&Trade, cash for clunkers and health care are just re-enforcing it.

The criminal justice system in this country wasn't designed and has never been about prevention. Its about consequences and punishment... its job has never been to walk next to you and hold your hand in the dark places.

200352954v8_350x350_Front.jpg
:D

RedRum, sure enough.. and well spoken.

One significant problem is that our present criminal justice system fails at both ends. Far to often, a perp is apprehended, charges laid, he is brought up before the bench on his charges.... and the local prosecutors strike a deal that, in essence, agrees the guy should not have done, got caught, is heartily sorry and will promise not to do THAT again.... and serves some token sentence. Real restitution of damages and punishment sufficiently strong to act as a practical deterrent are rarely meted out. Victims can claim against funds of tax money for the purpose, the perps are often back on the streets, doing again what they vowed they would not.

Part of the issue with firearms abuse is that, when actually CAUGHT with an illegal arm (as in, felon in possession) that penalty so often seems to be further lectures and restrictions on firearms..... which are, just as surely, ignored straightaway he's out of the clinker. If VERY stiff penalties were exacted for illegal possession, AND serious efforts made to trace the subject arm back to its source, perhaps the "population" of firearms in the hands of criminals might lessen. If five years in the hoosegow were the certain result of a restricted person being in possession of a firearm, I rather believe many more would opt for other means of physical coercion. And if the suppllier to a felon were more often traced out and visited with a similar fate, that end of things just might dry up.

I am NOT speaking to an otherwise law abiding citizen carrying concealed sans permit, I am speaking of those legally proscribed from posession of ALL firearms suffering serious consequences for possession.

I am also convinced that many of the prohibiting "crimes" oughtn't be. Shooting feral nuisance cats in Thurston County is a felony? Come ONNNN. My guess is that one snuck by a critter kissing Board of Commissioners when few hard working folks were at the meetings.

I don't have a problem with your suggestions and I know that is a little harsh but so be it. Do notice a large group of these people that commit these crimes have rap sheets a mile long. Polly Class is another little girl who was taken out of her home while have a slumber party with her parents home and was beaten and raped then killed. The guy who did it had been in jail at least 25 times for a large variety of crimes. I brought that up because I lived in CA because of the military. Anyways there are thousands like him that should have been dealt with severely. I just keep thinking of all the outrage when those 3 teenagers in Singapore were lashed with bamboo for tagging and the people here were crying abuse. If they lived there I bet they would not do that again. I am sick of these idiots walking free all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top