JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've all seen the pocket survival kits using an Altoid tin that usually includes a lighter, button compass, fishing line, hooks and weights, fire starter tinder, etc. I wonder HOW practical that is as an every day carry. I have carried one for a while...but I'm thinking of going a different direction. I carry a lighter anyways, along with a light and a solar watch with a built in digital compass, etc. I think a more practical kit would be something more realistic. An Altoid tin that has condoms, anti diarrhea pills, a spare phone battery, etc. These are things you are more likely to need. After all, bubblegumting your pants will suck big time lol. So will getting some random girl pregnant. I generally carry condoms anyways, but I don't carry them religiously like I do my pocket survival kit. Surprisingly many girls are like, lose the condom...but I'm not interested in having kids, which would be SHTF for me...

Thoughts? If you think the urban kit is more practical, what would you put in it?

In a SHTF scenario, you'll likely want to impregnate the most women possible. Without procreation, the species will die. Its a moral imperative.

We're not talking about the apocalypse here. We are talking about you're out Friday/Saturday night, meet some random girl, hook up. What's going to serve you better, three condoms in a tin or fish hooks and a compass? We are not talking about jumping to the most ridiculous scenario. The point of the thread is that there are every day survival things that will likely serve you better for every day survival, i.e. not having kids you don't want because you had condoms reliably stored, not bubblegumting your pants because you had some really hot Thai food because you have anti diarrhea meds , and being able to keep your phone running when you are having to use it a lot to deal with getting home, looking things up, etc. than fish hooks fishing line along with a fire steel.

I already carry waaay too much stuff and have run out of room in my pockets to carry condoms, pills and such with me as well in another kit. I'm thinking of ditching the wilderness pocket kit in favor for something more practical. I already carry lip balm and a lighter (fire starter when mixed with my eye glass cleaning cloth), two pocket knives, cash, multi tool, etc.

Last Edited:
It's probably an age thing. In my twenties I often felt like I might not survive the weekend if I didn't find someone to share a condom with. Now I don't leave the house without my nitro. Perspective, right? ;)

So yeah, for your purposes condoms, spare battery, breath mints and pepto on you, then in the car, deodorant, mouthwash, spare underwear and a towel.

We're not talking about the apocalypse here. We are talking about you're out Friday/Saturday night, meet some random girl, hook up. What's going to serve you better, three condoms in a tin or fish hooks and a compass? We are not talking about jumping to the most ridiculous scenario. The point of the thread is that there are every day survival things that will likely serve you better for every day survival, i.e. not having kids you don't want because you had condoms reliably stored, not bubblegumting your pants because you had some really hot Thai food because you have anti diarrhea meds , and being able to keep your phone running when you are having to use it a lot to deal with getting home, looking things up, etc. than fish hooks fishing line along with a fire steel.

I already carry waaay too much stuff and have run out of room in my pockets to carry condoms, pills and such with me as well in another kit. I'm thinking of ditching the wilderness pocket kit in favor for something more practical. I already carry lip balm and a lighter (fire starter when mixed with my eye glass cleaning cloth), two pocket knives, cash, multi tool, etc.

To be honest, the apocalypse is probably more likely than me getting laid. I'm married.

Condoms? If SHTF and I find a nice young lady that's willing to let me get some dew on my lilly believe me the LAST thing I'm gonna care about is condoms.

So your thread has NOTHING to do with survival, but more about trying to keep the stank OFF your hang low while not soiling yourself?

Totally misleading thread title. :rolleyes:

Consider this. A willing woman to shelter ya for the night... broken or compromised water lines. Thereby you need the anti diarrhea meds... spare phone battery if your charger cable breaks, or is lost.. and also if power's out. These are more likely in an urban survival situation than in the wilderness. On the other hand, are ya really gonna trust anyone in an urban disaster situation?
This pocket kit idea seems more suited for EDC than for SHTF
But it is suitable for Preparedness

A get home bag with lightweight tarp and sleeping quilt or poncho liner, depending o weather, and plenty of ammo and comms for your weaponry would do one very well. Bonus points if the get home bag is built on any vintage hiking backpack system that looks cruddy and old, the better to blend in with the great unwashed homeless masses :rolleyes:

Consider this. A willing woman to shelter ya for the night... broken or compromised water lines. Thereby you need the anti diarrhea meds... spare phone battery if your charger cable breaks, or is lost.. and also if power's out. These are more likely in an urban survival situation than in the wilderness. On the other hand, are ya really gonna trust anyone in an urban disaster situation?
This pocket kit idea seems more suited for EDC than for SHTF
But it is suitable for Preparedness

A get home bag with lightweight tarp and sleeping quilt or poncho liner, depending o weather, and plenty of ammo and comms for your weaponry would do one very well. Bonus points if the get home bag is built on any vintage hiking backpack system that looks cruddy and old, the better to blend in with the great unwashed homeless masses :rolleyes:

She'll pull the stripper shake and bake. Get you to her spot, gets your pants and chonies off, then her pimp comes through the door and they rob you and keep your pants and chonies so you don't run after them nekkid.

So your thread has NOTHING to do with survival, but more about trying to keep the stank OFF your hang low while not soiling yourself?

Totally misleading thread title. :rolleyes:

Actually it does. I said:
Pocket survival kit: urban vs wilderness....which is more practical?

Then explained it in detail in the body of the thread that I think a wilderness Altoids survival kit is less likely to come in handy than something more geared toward urban. For example, not getting someone pregnant, not bubblegumting your pants, etc. There isn't exactly a ton of room to explain this in a thread title....and the question of the title was which is more practical...condoms, a spare battery and meds are things I actually use. I've never had to use my wilderness pocket kit. And you're not really going to start a fire in downtown Seattle...:rolleyes:

I've seen it done! :D

I saw a homeless guy pull his pants down and explosively hurl diarrhea against the wall from 2 feet away then pull his pants up and keep walking. I made the mistake of looking at it as I walked by. I still want to vomit when I think about it....:eek:

But good news! I saw him wiping his bubblegum with grocery bags from a dumpster around the corner later...:rolleyes:

I saw a homeless guy pull his pants down and explosively hurl diarrhea against the wall from 2 feet away then pull his pants up and keep walking. I made the mistake of looking at it as I walked by. I still want to vomit when I think about it....:eek:

But good news! I saw him wiping his bubblegum with grocery bags from a dumpster around the corner later...:rolleyes:
Was the dumpster on fire? :D :rolleyes:
ETA: This also seems to suggest you don't need the emergency toilet paper in the car...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top