JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about either a Sig P-238 or P-938 and leaning more to the P-238. I have arthritis in my hands so am a bit recoil sensitive and from what I read the slide is easier to rack on the P-238. I am well aware of the limitations of a 380 but I carry a Bersa 380 now and am comfortable with the caliber. There are lots of other brand options but I have always wanted to own a Sig and maybe it is time.

I need big pockets to carry my Bersa Thunder 380CC in a nylon Blackhawk holster. I'd like to get something smaller for the pocket like a Taurus TCP (not sure it trust it) or the Beretta Pico if it ever comes out.

I went against conventional thinking these days and bought a Smith and Wesson Model 642 snubnose airweight for pocket carry:

The Smith & Wesson Model 642 Centennial Airweight Revolver

I was never comfortable with the .380 and this is rated for .38+P, which is what I carry. I carry mid / full size Glocks when I'm traveling, but for a run to the store / gas station, I drop this little Smith into an Uncle Mike's pocket liner and off I go. I'm really happy with the setup. Mine went back to Cylinder and Slide for a full tune up, reliability package, sight work, etc. but stock they are fine little guns. No regrets on my pocket carry choice.

As they say, one man's opinion.....

Look at the Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle. Smaller than any other .380 but amazingly engineered and reliable. Slide is quite simple to rack and the DAO trigger is smooth with a crisp break. At 14oz with steel slide and alloy frame, it also manages recoil excellently. I love mine, so much I gave my first one to my son and bought myself another. <broken link removed>

With arthritic hands you'd be hard pressed to do better than the p238, I found it to be about at the limit for comfortable pocket carry (in every type of pants, anyways, some pockets are obviously larger than others)
Recoil is low enough to be a comfortable for longer practice sessions. The poly-pocket 9mms are a handful no matter how good of shape the ol' paws are in.

Ruger 357 LCR here.

Yeah I was gunna buy a second hand one and my friend asked me if I wanted to shoot his first. Just sayin

Dick,I would lean towards the 9mm if you can work the slide OK.I'm just not a 380 fan though. But I just don't really like small guns either. ( I just traded my sweet S&W 36 for a Blackhawk 6")
My friend's wife carries the P238 and love it.Shoots it very well also.

Good luck and I'm sure we'll see pics of it soon

With arthritic hands you'd be hard pressed to do better than the p238, I found it to be about at the limit for comfortable pocket carry (in every type of pants, anyways, some pockets are obviously larger than others)
Recoil is low enough to be a comfortable for longer practice sessions. The poly-pocket 9mms are a handful no matter how good of shape the ol' paws are in.
I've not tried the p238 , but I have arthritic hands and liked the Micro Desert Eagle over the Keltec P3at and Bodyguard 380. For me, the thicker grip of the micro Desert Eagle, and it's additional weight and decent trigger make it a viable tiny pistol with a lot of bang. I've used Buffalo Bore +p thru it and could still shoot it without pain. :)

Sig P238. Reliable, considered accurate & pleasant to fire.
Can augment grip with extended mags with pinkie holders.

Rack it when convenient & hands warmed up then carry in "condition*" you want, perhaps Condition 1 or 2.
Condition 1: round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety On
Condition 2: round in chamber, hammer uncocked

*Condition 0: round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety Off
Condition 1: round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety On
Condition 2: round in chamber, hammer uncocked
(note: all of the above include a loaded magazine in the weapon)
Condition 3: empty chamber, hammer uncocked, loaded magazine in weapon
Condition 4: empty chamber, no magazine in weapon

I love my p238. I have about 300 rounds through it and it has eaten everything void of a single problem. It fits in all of my front pockets with a blackhawk pocket holster, and with buffalo bore ammo it can come close to standard 38 special +p ratings. I have nothing but positive things to say about it and I would recommend the P238 to anyone who is looking for a pocket gun.

I have shot and carried the ruger 380 but the sig shot circles around the lcp. A pocket gun has its advantages and disadvantages, but I definitely like having the option available. Sometimes not having to worry about flashing your gun every time you reach up can be beneficial.

Look at the Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle. Smaller than any other .380 but amazingly engineered and reliable. Slide is quite simple to rack and the DAO trigger is smooth with a crisp break. At 14oz with steel slide and alloy frame, it also manages recoil excellently. I love mine, so much I gave my first one to my son and bought myself another. <broken link removed>
When I was exploring the tiny guns, this micro Desert Eagle was the best one that I carried. I'm 66 , with a little hand arthritis, and shot it effectively. I've switched to PPK sized ( FEG -PA63, SMC-380, Nano ) pistols packed IWB, but for a pocket gun the mDE is my choice.

If your used to the Bersa and want a sig, have you considered a p230 or 232. Basically the shape and size as the bersa/walther ppk so it might even support the same holsters and accessories you already have. What you get is the sig quality, decocker, night sights, etc.

I find the p238 so be a more complicated battery of arms. All those conditions. For a carry gun, i want to be able to pull it and pull the trigger. The safety sweep is definitely a new step to train for.

If your used to the Bersa and want a sig, have you considered a p230 or 232. Basically the shape and size as the bersa/walther ppk so it might even support the same holsters and accessories you already have. What you get is the sig quality, decocker, night sights, etc.

I find the p238 so be a more complicated battery of arms. All those conditions. For a carry gun, i want to be able to pull it and pull the trigger. The safety sweep is definitely a new step to train for.

The P232 is a wonderful pistol but would not have any carry advantage over my Bersa and like my Bersa is not a pocket pistol so it would be a waste of money. I shot 1911s for years so the safety sweep on a P238 is a no brainer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top