Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pmc Brass.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Maxx, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Maxx

Maxx GF BC New Member

I do not want to do a overload on my first day but.....They where destroying 257 weatherby brass ... and I got 500 is this brass good not so good or very good whats your thoughts and why where they destroying this brass?

2. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

I've bought 257 Wby that was sold as once fired. The problem was primers went in with little to no resistance. They were proof loads was my guess, I threw it out. Check the primer pockets by putting in a couple of primers.

3. Maxx

Maxx GF BC New Member

Hi this is new brass never fired.

4. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

The only gun I ever blew up (or ever will blow up, I hope) had PMC brass in the chamber.

This was a .223 Model 70. Load was 25.5g of H335 behind a 55g core-lokt. PMC brass (because it came from cheap factory loads originally, and I was poor) was on its 5th loading with that warm but not excessive load.

I had just picked up my prescription shooting glasses from the optometrist that morning literally on the way out to shoot rockchucks.

When the gun went, I don't believe I heard the report. I got that metallic smell/taste in my sinuses like when you are in a car wreck. The side of the wood stock next to the receiver fragmented, the aluminum floorplate fractured, and on later inspection it was found that the brass had catastrophically failed in the classic spot: just above the web. The extractor was broken, the ejector was smashed back into the bolt, and its spring was solidified.

I had wood fragments in my cheeks (face cheeks), and my glasses had saved at least one of my eyes, if not both.

I later repaired the gun, replacing all broken parts, and adding a plastic stock, had it checked for headspace, and all fine.

Cause? Unknown, except this was economical brass, loaded 5 times warm.

I'll not reload PMC brass again. My only understandable strategy to preventing this.