JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 brand new pmags wont seat.

the 2 bad ones are Gen M3 with overtravel stop. Other Pmags work fine but those are Gen M2 and dont have the overtravel stop. Other older Gen M3 with mag stops work, but now I am noticing they do fit tight... one of them requires a good push to seat but always does. I have one Gen M3 pmag with OT stop that works flawless.
The two new offenders are the worst though, sometimes if I really push really hard and wiggle it just right the two offenders will seat with the mag catch, no play, super tight. These are no-go for use...

I don't see anything noticeably different than the older ones that work except just the very few insertions are already leaving a mark and rounding the mags cutout upper edge in the mag, the others which have had many insertions and use show no abnormal signs of wear.

I checked my mag catch and the screw is threaded flush with the button face. Never had a problem until these 2 new mags.

Is it the mags, or the gun? anything I should look for, or try to see if the store will take them in return or exchange?

I dont think I will buy anymore Gen M3 pmags unless I find the problem. Any other brands to recommend? I have 1 DD mag that works flawless.

2 brand new pmags wont seat.

the 2 bad ones are Gen M3 with overtravel stop. Other Pmags work fine but those are Gen M2 and dont have the overtravel stop. Other older Gen M3 with mag stops work, but now I am noticing they do fit tight... one of them requires a good push to seat but always does. I have one Gen M3 pmag with OT stop that works flawless.
The two new offenders are the worst though, sometimes if I really push really hard and wiggle it just right the two offenders will seat with the mag catch, no play, super tight. These are no-go for use...

I don't see anything noticeably different than the older ones that work except just the very few insertions are already leaving a mark and rounding the mags cutout upper edge in the mag, the others which have had many insertions and use show no abnormal signs of wear.

I checked my mag catch and the screw is threaded flush with the button face. Never had a problem until these 2 new mags.

Is it the mags, or the gun? anything I should look for, or try to see if the store will take them in return or exchange?

I dont think I will buy anymore Gen M3 pmags unless I find the problem. Any other brands to recommend? I have 1 DD mag that works flawless.

Since you haven't told us what make and model of gun it's hard to say. o_O

AR-15?
Sig-556?
DR-200?

Just some of the guns that use AR type mags. With very different receivers.

Nope, but I have 2 friends I can ask. Good idea...
Although if they worked in theirs it would mean my lower is out of spec?

That would suck hard
Are the mags fully loaded or empty when attempting to seat them?
If loaded, remove a couple rounds and try again.

I apologize in advance if I'm being Captain Obvious :oops::)

Had the same thing with Gen3 had to back out the threads on the mag catch a couple turns. Once that was done no problems. (Instead of flush with mag button back out 2-3 turns)

Are the mags fully loaded or empty when attempting to seat them?
If loaded, remove a couple rounds and try again.

I apologize in advance if I'm being Captain Obvious :oops::)

They were unloaded so I didnt bother loading them.

One of my older Gen M3 that has the issue mags was fully loaded so I removed the top round... Same problem. So I emptied it and set it aside with the two new problem mags.

Put the rounds in my only Daniel Defense mag, which I think I start buying instead of Magpul now... DD mag holds 32....

Had the same thing with Gen3 had to back out the threads on the mag catch a couple turns. Once that was done no problems. (Instead of flush with mag button back out 2-3 turns)

I tried that... Backed out only 1 turn, no luck. Will try 3 maybe... But wont that make it so the good mags fall out?

I tried that... Backed out only 1 turn, no luck. Will try 3 maybe... But wont that make it so the good mags fall out?
Possibly, however I did not have that issue with mine. I think it is the variance in mag catch parts or lowers. I have other AR's that are similar and they fit Gen 3 with no issues or changes

Any other brands to recommend?
Okay Industries, NHMTG and Colt marked mags are the genuine article.
44MAG.com - .223/5.56mm AR15 Magazines
It's nice to have some 20 rounders (arguably the most reliable) for shooting off the bench.

For plastic, I like Lancer. They're actually a hybrid with spring steel feed lips and have a stiff enough body to handle 458 SOCOM without bulging.

I don't think I'd fool with the mag catch to accommodate funky mags.
If you have a caliper, it would be interesting to compare good Pmag to bad Pmag dimensions.

A good way at to test if it is the mag catch would be to push in on the mag release as you try to insert mag. If that works than you know. Either way good luck with resolution

Try to find a good USGI spec aluminum 30 rd mag. See how it fits empty and with 28 rounds and with 30 rounds. A good slap on the bottom to seat the 30rd full mag is considered normal.

When dumping the empty mag, the USGI 30 rd aluminum mags should drop free. It may not bounce out of the gun but it should drop free. You need a base line to determine what is happening.

Also put your finger into the mag well and determine if the mag catch arm is slightly sticking out into the mag well. Just a tad. Required. If flush, not good. FWIW, you Promag situation is fairly common.

Respectfully. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted M16 rebuilds. Edited for speellling, sintax, punchuations, dangling partacycles, etc.. :)

Last Edited:
USGI/STNAG mags... for the win. ;)

I second that. After reading the Battlefield Vegas report where they find that they
a) outlast everything else and
b) fit and function in every 5.56 NATO compatible platform

They buy the Brownell's mags with magpul followers. That's what I'm getting from now on.

Don't wait Fuhrer Brown and her Brown Shi(r)t Legislature will make them illegal in short order as promised before the election.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top