JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bringing back from the dead an old post (thanks to the search) :)

SOOOO, any more info now available on this. Now that greens wants membership, plantation is all right for what it is..
But if I wanted to and shoot some steel plates and zombie targets, where ?? the place over by big lake off 99 has been shut down. Heard some where up in Walker valley if the gate is open?
The ap above shows a place up above lyman, Ill have to go up and see about that one I guess... But really?? every one here just goes to Plantation in this area?
Or are the good spots just closely held ninja secrets?
I plane on welding up a pile if new reactionary plates this spring... If you have a good spot let me know, Ill share the steel if you share your ninja spot.. :)

Weird.. small farm town community, and no one seems to just go out and plink in the woods. Been told there might be some good areas up in walker valley if the gate is open. I know if I go back far enough down 20 Im sure I can find some good area's provided I stay out of the park land. Maybe up Suak, bet hell, again getting way out there. They shut the honey hole down by big lake off 99.
well crap.. guess its a drive up to Nooksack then.
If I find anything Ill post up.
g..

There used to be much closer places to plink, even just down the road a bit from Kesselrings. I think what has happened is that housing has been built too close to some of these places and the Sheriff had been cracking down on shooting in "residential" areas. Now it is hard to find a part of Whatcom or Skagit counties that isn't considered residential. And yes, too bad they recently shut down the Big Lake honey hole. Not sure of the story on that one.

I keep asking around but nobody seems to know anything.

I went and checked out the "honey hole" above Lyman on Saturday. Had a little trouble finding it (Google tries to send you via a closed road.)
Nice! Ok, maybe a little crowded, but manageable.
At 10:00, there maybe 8 groups shooting, but the space will accommodate it just fine if everyone pays attention to what is going on around them.

For those who haven't been there before:
4X4 is not needed.

Take HWY 20 east from I5, through Sedro Wooley.
Turn Left on Hamilton Cemetery RD. The road will bend 90 degrees to the right so that you will be parallel to Hwy 20.
Turn left on Medford RD (there is a sign for "Cowboy Camp)
Go past the camp/park.
Make the first left and you're there. (it's just before a bend in the road to the right, you'll see an open gate.)
Have fun!

I used to like going up Finney-Cumberland RD (FS17) but there was a washout and it's readily accessible now. Hopefully, they'll fix the road and we can get up there again.

Sometimes I head up to the baker lake sno park off HWY 20. Sheriff has rolled up and checked ID and asked if I was using any modified weapons, but other than that he indicated there was no issue shooting there. 4x4 not needed, but you do drive up a FS road. I have driven my lowered mustang up there when I had it, just be smart about it. I pick up after myself, so I feel that is key for keeping it open for shooting. It's like a quarry, lots of rock/dirt piles to fire into. I bring my own target stuff, but there is almost always some wood you can use if you needed to.
I'm not a huge fan of shooting while others are there (you just never know their level of firearm safety, and I'm not there to 'police' anyone), but I have met some great guys that invited me to fire all the stuff they had up there with them. Good only for summer, because it's PACKED with snowmobiles in the winter.
Good luck guys/gals -
Scott

There used to be much closer places to plink, even just down the road a bit from Kesselrings. I think what has happened is that housing has been built too close to some of these places and the Sheriff had been cracking down on shooting in "residential" areas. Now it is hard to find a part of Whatcom or Skagit counties that isn't considered residential. And yes, too bad they recently shut down the Big Lake honey hole. Not sure of the story on that one.

I keep asking around but nobody seems to know anything.

The story on it is that it was shut down due to noise complaints by people living in the area. State law is very clear that there must be a likelihood of injury to persons or domestic animals or damage to property. The way they get around it is that DNR is a state agency and the restriction to creating ordinances on the discharge of firearms only applies to local governments. It is about time the ninny state quits listening to 4 or 5 complainers and allows the greater number of people who shoot at these areas to prevail. But I digress, this will never happen.

I went and checked out the "honey hole" above Lyman on Saturday. Had a little trouble finding it (Google tries to send you via a closed road.)
Nice! Ok, maybe a little crowded, but manageable.
At 10:00, there maybe 8 groups shooting, but the space will accommodate it just fine if everyone pays attention to what is going on around them.

For those who haven't been there before:
4X4 is not needed.

Take HWY 20 east from I5, through Sedro Wooley.
Turn Left on Hamilton Cemetery RD. The road will bend 90 degrees to the right so that you will be parallel to Hwy 20.
Turn left on Medford RD (there is a sign for "Cowboy Camp)
Go past the camp/park.
Make the first left and you're there. (it's just before a bend in the road to the right, you'll see an open gate.)
Have fun!

I followed your directions last weekend as I was very interested in this area you posted. I had to do some adventuring because your directions are slightly off. Here they are corrected:

> Take HWY 20 east from I5, through Sedro Wooley and past Lyman.
> Turn Left on Hamilton Cemetery RD. The road will bend 90 degrees to the left so that you will be parallel to Hwy 20.
> Turn right on Medford RD. This road curves and turns up hill.
> Stay left as the road splits... If you reach a large gravel parking lot used for hourse trailors you have gone too far.
> Travel about a half mile and enter through the open gate to the left and you will reach a large dug out area with several different size shooting spots.

I have made this my new place from now on. I really enjoyed last weekend thier.

Well went and checked out the area above Hamilton today. ((Didn't think to get a GPS coordinate)
over all a good sight and enjoyed myself quite well. Ran about 1000 rounds today in mix calibe and was able to collect even more brass then I shot. Lots of room to allow many groups.
think I found exactly what I was hopeing for.
Thank you all above for the information.

Great way to spend the day for sure!

I'm in oak harbor I usually go out to sedro for my long range and steel shooting. There are lots and lots of places up there some of the best ones are if you take hwy 20 to sedro and turn right onto hwy 9 go across the steel bridges and take the next right you should be on old skagit hwy at that point and just drive that about 7 miles and you will find forest service road 17 and there are tons of places up there or go down the road more and find more roads. The roads are pretty good condition some overgrown but lots of good shooting areas.

Have you been up 17 lately? I ask because it has been closed for several months due to a washout starting about 1/2 mile up - before any of the branch roads....

I'm in oak harbor I usually go out to sedro for my long range and steel shooting. There are lots and lots of places up there some of the best ones are if you take hwy 20 to sedro and turn right onto hwy 9 go across the steel bridges and take the next right you should be on old skagit hwy at that point and just drive that about 7 miles and you will find forest service road 17 and there are tons of places up there or go down the road more and find more roads. The roads are pretty good condition some overgrown but lots of good shooting areas.

Have you been up 17 lately? I ask because it has been closed for several months due to a washout starting about 1/2 mile up - before any of the branch roads....

Yea I have been up there the last two weekends and it's back open now there is still snow on the road way up there about 2 ft deep but if it's ever closed again there are more roads just like it farther down.

this area sounds promising. im tired of my indoor range, and im looking to make a day trek to shoot outdoors. if i find anything ill make sure and spread the info. its been said before, but police up your brass and trash! helps out everybody!

Don't know if this place was mentioned, but for those looking to shoot in the Whatcom/Sedro Area:
-Go towards Baker
-Right on Mosquito Lake Rd.
-On until you see a dirt road leading into a logging area up hill on your left
-Up a mile or two (just to be safe)
-And start exploring.

Been going there for years and it is AWESOME. Tons of cool and safe people and lots of areas to choose from so no crowding or waiting. A bit of a trek, but well worth it.

Would even consider taking some people if they'd be willing to chip in for some gas $$$. Hope this helps!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top