JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan to pick up a my first handgun some time this month. I'm torn between the M&P and XDm, but that's a flame I'm not trying to fan here.

I am curious to get some suggestions on "plinker" 22LR handguns. This for cheaper, general handgun practice. Obviously, a 22 "conversion kit" for my primary gun would be preferable. But a quick Google search turned up nothing promising for either gun.

So, what are some reasonably priced options?

Ruger 22/45 like NoAim said above. I have 2, one Mark 2, one Mark 3, and love them both. They will eat any and all ammo, and are far more realiable than a Walther P22, or Sig Mosquito.

If you look around, you can get a good condition bull barrel target model for around $250 for blue, around $275 for SS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!!

Having had a Mark II target in stainless, having looked over the new Mark III's, and recently, purchased a Mark II Competition Target, I would suggest that if you follow the advise for a 22/45 that you go after a Mark II and avoid the safety stuff, chamber indicators and other III junk. Buy with confidence on some of the national auctions such as Auction Arms and Gun Broker. "AA" is the NRA web site and you can use their "grading" to your advantage.

If you aren't stuck on a semi-auto .22, I would go with the Ruger Single Six or the S&W K22 Masterpiece as tits said. If you are determined to go with a semi-auto, you can't beat any of the Rugers.

I really like my Browning Buckmark. Cycles anything,some more accurate than others,but very few FTFs. Get the right load and it shoots with any stock 22semi out there.

Single six is great cause most come with the 22mag cylinder also.They save on ammo since you have to reload every six shots.

I think any of the Ruger Marks are a great pistol.The take down isn't great,but they are a great shooter.

Well this is what I chose for my .22 plinker, Beretta Neos 4.5 barrel w/ a low buck Tasco Red Dot scope. Since no one seems to be putting prices in their replies, I paid $209.00 plus tax for the gun @ Wholesale Sports in March, $29.00 for the optic from Ebay w/ free shipping.... Never regretted it for a minute, I have had Ruger's MKxx and it absolutely compares in the accuracy department... It is ugly as all get out, but has kinda grown on me.

I have fed it 500 rounds so far without a single hiccup, ftf, etc.... Accurate as all get out and keeps me well in practice when I switch over to one of my 1911's.

berettaa.jpg

JMHO...

I plan to pick up a my first handgun some time this month. I'm torn between the M&P and XDm, but that's a flame I'm not trying to fan here.

I am curious to get some suggestions on "plinker" 22LR handguns. This for cheaper, general handgun practice. Obviously, a 22 "conversion kit" for my primary gun would be preferable. But a quick Google search turned up nothing promising for either gun.

So, what are some reasonably priced options?

Check out the new S&W M&P in .22, kill two birdees

Im also looking for a .22 plinker. I want it for the obvious cheap factor also for my wife to use to get familiar with shooting (the 9mm intimidated her some).

A friend at work has a S&W 22A. It shot real well last weekend and from his reports it eats anything. They are a little cheaper at a place like cabelas compared to the Rugers so I was really thinking of getting one, untill this thread and checking into the 22/45. Ive never really shopped for a .22 and didnt know anything about the 22/45. Since I am soon to have a 1911 I like the idea of the .22 being very similar as far as grip angle and controls.

Well this is what I chose for my .22 plinker, Beretta Neos 4.5 barrel w/ a low buck Tasco Red Dot scope. Since no one seems to be putting prices in their replies, I paid $209.00 plus tax for the gun @ Wholesale Sports in March, $29.00 for the optic from Ebay w/ free shipping.... Never regretted it for a minute, I have had Ruger's MKxx and it absolutely compares in the accuracy department... It is ugly as all get out, but has kinda grown on me.

I have fed it 500 rounds so far without a single hiccup, ftf, etc.... Accurate as all get out and keeps me well in practice when I switch over to one of my 1911's.

berettaa.jpg

JMHO...

I love mine. Very accurate. Love my Buckmark as well. Both are excellent shooters!

+1 on the Beretta Neos, I got mine LNIB at the Gunbroker in Tigard for $199 plus background check. Fits my hand perfectly, very well balanced.

I don't have anything against the Ruger 22/45, but the ergonomics just don't do it for me.

I used to have a Buckmark Pro Target with a 6" barrel, I would recommend one of those any day if you find one at a good price.

So what, in your opinion is a "Reasonable Price?" I can't find much from S&W that is in the "Plinker" price range.

I've seen used S&W K22s for as low as $300 for an average condition K22 (I paid a little over 4 bills for mine). There are lots of great deals out there on wheelguns now that most folks want semi-autos.

Another vote for a Ruger, but I would recommend going into a shop and holding the guns in your hand before you get one. I was going to get a 22/45 MkIII but decided against it after I held it, the standard mkIII fit me a lot better. I tried to find a Buck Mark locally but had no luck at all so I got the mkIII target model and I love it. The cool thing is my 10 yr old daughter loves it to and I have to fight her for it.

Another vote for a Ruger, but I would recommend going into a shop and holding the guns in your hand before you get one. I was going to get a 22/45 MkIII but decided against it after I held it, the standard mkIII fit me a lot better. I tried to find a Buck Mark locally but had no luck at all so I got the mkIII target model and I love it. The cool thing is my 10 yr old daughter loves it to and I have to fight her for it.

That's why I recommended the 22/45 RP. RP standard for Removable Panels. They take modified 1911 grip panels, so you can go thin, thick, wood, plastic, metal, rubber.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top