JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a bunch of 22lr. My 10/22 is the least accurate of all of them.(6" group at 100 yards) you can make them accurate with a lot of time and the right parts, but then you are looking at $500+.

As far as jamming, Mine almost never jams, I always run cheap ammo and I dont clean it very often. A lot of people swear buy the 10-22, but If I needed a small gun for shooting dinner and my life was depandant on it, I would rather have a marlin model 60, they are cheaper too!

I have a marlin 39a for small game, a little expensive, but the perfict gun for this.

The "cricket" single shot youth gun would make a good shtf gun, you wouldent waste as much ammo, they are smaller/easier to hide and pretty accurate. plus anyone can shoot it.

I would prefer a bolt gun vs a semi auto.

My $.02

I had a 10-22 that was made in the late 60's, it would shoot 2" groups at 100 yards, and it never malfunctioned. I also had a fairly recent stainless 10-22, and it would jam every other magazine. 5"-6" at 100 yards at best. I won't ever buy a new one again, I'd buy a Marlin first.

I bought my 10-22 at Bi Mart about 10 yr ago. Always have shot Federal or Remington bulk ammo and I don't remember it ever jamming. I shoot grey diggers in my pasture 40 to 60 yards usually. I'm very happy with the accuracy. I'd like to say some of my old winchesters are better but it's not so. I have a couple of 66's and they do jam but rarely.

In my opinion the only thing that 10/22's have over any other semi auto 22LR, is the ability to make them a real tackdriver using factory parts. There is also a tremendous of aftermarket parts available if you feel like dumping a pile of money into them. With a little work, a 10/22 can shoot just about as well as any 22 on the market, all with the factory components (including the barrel) and shooting the cheap bulk ammo..

I had a 10-22 that was made in the late 60's, it would shoot 2" groups at 100 yards, and it never malfunctioned. I also had a fairly recent stainless 10-22, and it would jam every other magazine. 5"-6" at 100 yards at best. I won't ever buy a new one again, I'd buy a Marlin first.

This has been my experience as well, except the older 10/22 is my Dad's and it'll eat anything we put in it. My younger brother and I would take it out and buy the cheap ammo when we were kids and shoot it all day with out any problems.

However, About 10 years ago, right after I got married I bought my first 10/22 and had nothing but problems with it. It didn't matter what ammo I put through it. So I upgraded the barrel among other pieces on it and still had problems. So I bought another one; still had problems with that one too. I finally sold off the noth of them last year...I'll never buy another 10/22 unless it is an older one like my father's.

My 10/22 is fine on Iron Sights - but for the life of me I can't get it to scope well... I think the holes for the scope rail must be off slightly because no matter what optic I toss on there, cheap or expensive, I can't get on paper....

Ammo wise, I've had mixed results. It hates American Eagle, but likes Rem Thunderbolts... some Federal works fine... but there is a different box type of Federal that it doesn't like at all.

I'm really appreciating the comments.

BTW, I didn't know they made a speed loader for tubular mags. I'm going to try this out on my Nylon 66, but I'll have to put the rounds in backwards if that works, since it's butt fed. This reloader holds 8 reloads. <broken link removed>

I have a Mossberg "Plinkster" my self, $107 new at Wal-Mart. I will print 3" groups @ 100yrds with ME shooting it (a competent shooter would do better):D Jams are few and far between, and only with the cheapest ammo. Mags are easy to find. All in all I have been very happy with it. Another option to look at.

I have a Mossberg "Plinkster" my self, $107 new at Wal-Mart. I will print 3" groups @ 100yrds with ME shooting it (a competent shooter would do better):D Jams are few and far between, and only with the cheapest ammo. Mags are easy to find. All in all I have been very happy with it. Another option to look at.

I dry fired a Plinkster a couple of times and thought the trigger was sloppy. Maybe it was just that one specimen. I "think" the gun is made in Brazil and I "think" the Marlin is made in the US. I could be completely wrong. Reviews on the Plinkster via google are very mixed. Reviews on the Marlin are pretty solid.

$.02

I have had 7-9 of these used, and in various states of modification. the recievers with a coating of any kind need to be stripped on the inside to the bare aluminum. put in a $5.00 bolt buffer, and make sure there is no pressure on the barrel from the stock, and the barrel block isn't too tight, and they will be consistent, and smooth.

I had one that gave me problems, but after cleaning out the inside of the receiver and getting the coating out of there, it was good.

the ruger 10 rd. mags are the only way to go as well. tactical solutions has banana mags that work, and can be taken apart to clean... I believe they are 2 piece aluminum.

the upside to the 10/22's is there is more of them then any other 22 rifle out there... to me that is good, because if your going to be a nomad, you'll need parts... same diff if you need a vehicle when the SHTF buy something with a small block chevy, not a samurai, kia, hyundai or etc... K5 blazer, parts are generic, and they are rusting in the backyards everywhere in rural America.

Accessibility to parts is going to be key... if you ever need them.

for a survival situation, you'll want 2 or more. :)

I have had 7-9 of these used, and in various states of modification. the recievers with a coating of any kind need to be stripped on the inside to the bare aluminum. put in a $5.00 bolt buffer, and make sure there is no pressure on the barrel from the stock, and the barrel block isn't too tight, and they will be consistent, and smooth.

I had one that gave me problems, but after cleaning out the inside of the receiver and getting the coating out of there, it was good.

Please understand. I don't want something to work on or customize. I want something to save, NIB, for later trade or barter. I need for it to work as is, out of the box.
:s0155:

the ruger 10 rd. mags are the only way to go as well. tactical solutions has banana mags that work, and can be taken apart to clean... I believe they are 2 piece aluminum.

Ditto. :s0155:

the upside to the 10/22's is there is more of them then any other 22 rifle out there... to me that is good, because if your going to be a nomad, you'll need parts... same diff if you need a vehicle when the SHTF buy something with a small block chevy, not a samurai, kia, hyundai or etc... K5 blazer, parts are generic, and they are rusting in the backyards everywhere in rural America.

Guess what?

The 10/22 has been in production since 1964 and 5 million of them have been sold.

The Marlin 60 has been in continuous production since 1960 and 11 million - more than twice as many as the 10/22 - have been sold.
:s0155:

Accessibility to parts is going to be key... if you ever need them.

Ditto. :s0155:

for a survival situation, you'll want 2 or more. :)

Because they break? :( :s0131: :( :D :D

the 10-22 I had would "eat" anything I could put in the mag as long as it was a decent mag. (it hated crappy butler creek mags) Mine wouldn't group truncated cone bullets worth a crap, but shot round nose in a tight group.

I have a very old Marlin Model 60. Love the trigger pull on it and its accurate like crazy!

Oh, I should also add that the tube load holds 18 rounds.

Mine doesn't like to feed all the time, but its very old and neglected. When I got it, someone at the coast had owned it, and it was filled with sand.

I'd want 2 of any gun no matter what because how long will any gun last being shot 20-50 times per day? some days more? survival is survival... always good to have an alternative.

I would say I need to look into the Model 60 more.... didn't know there was so many of them........................

in my opinion I would be buying used 22's more then new... both to save money, and when bartering I doubt new would be a major concern??? not with me at all.... does it shoot? kill small game animals? good to go.

I'd want 2 of any gun no matter what because how long will any gun last being shot 20-50 times per day? some days more? survival is survival... always good to have an alternative.

I would say I need to look into the Model 60 more.... didn't know there was so many of them........................

in my opinion I would be buying used 22's more then new... both to save money, and when bartering I doubt new would be a major concern??? not with me at all.... does it shoot? kill small game animals? good to go.

Agree with all 100%. I'm just not finding any good used .22lr repeaters for under $100, and I can buy new Marlin 60's for $129 sometimes on sale.

Agree with all 100%. I'm just not finding any good used .22lr repeaters for under $100, and I can buy new Marlin 60's for $129 sometimes on sale.

cheap is good.... plus no wear and tear with a new gun....

however 7 of 8 we'll say with no issues in used 10-22's, and 1 brand new one isn't bad....... I will probably stick with 10-22's.... so if you find cheapo used one's let me know :)

I agree always have a backup.

Just for giggles, the Remington Nylon 66's factory test fire benchmark was 100,000 rounds. That's 200 bricks! Link

Tom Frye, a professional shooter for Remington, shot a Nylon 66 at more than 100,000 2" square wooden blocks thrown into the air. One at a time of course. :D :D :D IIRC, he missed only about ten of them.

My 10/22 is fine on Iron Sights - but for the life of me I can't get it to scope well... I think the holes for the scope rail must be off slightly because no matter what optic I toss on there, cheap or expensive, I can't get on paper....

Ammo wise, I've had mixed results. It hates American Eagle, but likes Rem Thunderbolts... some Federal works fine... but there is a different box type of Federal that it doesn't like at all.

You may need a buffer screw that locks the action to the stock. Ruger 10/22's are great little rifles but some have trouble with the screw actually canting the barrel down a bit. Just for info (BTW, I own over 20 of these and the biggest problem is cheap ammo and bad aftermarket magazines).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top