JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I'm buying inexpensive .22lr rifles as they go on sale for future barter. Hey, if nothing else, they won't lose much value, I hope.

I've never owned a Ruger 10/22 but I have heard a lot of rumor that they jam a lot. Is that true? I've heard that they don't like some kinds of ammo. True/false?

I've been spoiled for years with Remington Nylon 66's and they'll eat anything, have a great trigger and are tack drivers, but they are too expensive now for stocking up.

I'd also like opinions on other 22's in rifles. Bi Mart had Marlin semi-autos on sale a couple of weeks ago for $129 and I bought a couple. Of course I'm also buying bricks of ammo for them.

Please talk to me. What's good and what's bad in the under $200 rifles, various brands? Bi Mart had 10/22's on sale for $179 not too long ago and I passed.

Anything?

Thanks. :)

Do you mean for gun trading/collecting, or bartering for food or goods in a disaster?

More SHTF stuff - goes along with silver, etc. I think some people would find more use for a nice rifle and/or a brick of ammo than for silver in some cases. You can hunt for food with a .22 but you can't eat silver.

If we have runaway inflation, I'd rather have "things" than cash, too.

Diversify investments. :)

$.02

I'm one who believes that if the SHTF, silver and gold are a good place to have parked money, but I'm not sure how negotiable it will be if people are hungry. A loaf of bread might be worth a wheelbarrow load of silver and a train load of paper currency.

A nice rifle and a brick of ammo would be handy for a lot of things...

$.02

I like the idea of a cheap 22 for future trading stock. It could be worth quite a bit to someone in need. As to 10/22 jamming a lot that has not been my experience, and do to the design they are quite easy to clear. Just drop the mag and work the bolt. Unlike straight mag or tube mag, there is plenty of room for your fingers if needed. Yes they can get picky with a few types of ammo but that is usually with after market mags. Besides try to find a 25 or 50 round mag for other 22's

with 'good' ammo like Minimags they run 100 percent.With bulk ammo any semi auto can and will jam.
don't be afraid to diversiry and get a Marlin 60,they run good and are very accurate. My 10-22 is only fairly accurate no matter who shoots it,but it's good enough for me.
No,I'm not going to spend 300..00 to make it more accurate,thankew.

with 'good' ammo like Minimags they run 100 percent.With bulk ammo any semi auto can and will jam.
don't be afraid to diversiry and get a Marlin 60,they run good and are very accurate. My 10-22 is only fairly accurate no matter who shoots it,but it's good enough for me.
No,I'm not going to spend 300..00 to make it more accurate,thankew.

My Nylon 66's won't jam no matter what I throw in them - never had it happen. I keep hearing that 10/22's are picky about ammo and I just want to know how others experience them.

I've never owned a Ruger 10/22 but I have heard a lot of rumor that they jamb a lot. Is that true? I've heard that they don't like some kinds of ammo. True/false?

I bought 2 of the 10/22s for Christmas gifts as well as TheWorks1022.com Performance Mods DVD. After polishing the key surfaces of the bolt and a very minor tweak to the ejector {for preventing stove pipe jams} these are operating wonderfully. Before tweaking the ejector, the first magazine of 25 had a couple of stove pipes but the next 3 mags had none.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at the rifle's accuracy right out of the box. Was a bit dissapointed to learn the trigger group 'frame' was plastic. :(

I bought 2 of the 10/22s for Christmas gifts as well as TheWorks1022.com Performance Mods DVD. After polishing the key surfaces of the bolt and a very minor tweak to the ejector {for preventing stove pipe jams} these are operating wonderfully. Before tweaking the ejector, the first magazine of 25 had a couple of stove pipes but the next 3 mags had none.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at the rifle's accuracy right out of the box. Was a bit dissapointed to learn the trigger group 'frame' was plastic. :(

Good info. I don't want to polish parts and tweak the ejectors. Remember, I'm buying several. I think that's Ruger's job. Besides, the 10/22's cost about $50 more than the Marlins and I'm looking for trading/bartering pieces for down the road, maybe.

So, do the Marlins run as well or better out of the box?

10/22s are pretty un-reliable.

I would buy 4 used Glenfield Model 60s for the same price.(Marlin)

You will have 4 times the trading power.

Nobody will care about the 10/22s ability to accessorize in a disaster. (That is the reason they are so popular)

I don't know if the new ones run as well as the old ones.

I only have used the old Glenfields and they run awesome. The tube mag is easy to load and holds more rounds.

I pay around $40ea for used Glenfields.

I'll take that as gospel from you, Coctailer. Are you saying that you can buy used 60's for 1/4 the price of 1 new 10/22? Where? 10/22's were $179 at Bi Mart a few weeks ago. I just bought new Marlins at Bi Mart for $129. ??

Oops, didn't see your post. Well, I'll hope to find some used 60's for $40. :)

Got it - fixed above. We're playing tag.

OK, I'll be looking for that train load of used 60's for $40 ea. Never saw one that cheap, but I can look.

Even at $50-$60 they are a good deal. The least I have paid was $20 and I still have it. Runs great.
You can find these at garage sales sometimes.

If you are buying NEW guns, I would check to see if there is a Marlin 60 forum somewhere. They might have some good info on the new guns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top