JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

would you buy a raffle ticket

• yes

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • no

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
Is there a reason you're pitching your question toward non-residents? You say a NR tag is around $350, but it's really closer to $600 for elk plus a $200 hunting license. Oregon is not kind to non-residents.

That said, there is a lot that is attractive about your offer and I think it could work. But the pitch to me is a cow hunt where someone can bring a minor (look into mentor program in OR) or buy a ticket on behalf of another.

Good cause, good area, good experience. That's all one can expect from a good hunt.

You're not going to get the trophy crowd looking for an epic bull, so figure out how you can offer a great family experience with a personal touch. That sells too. I'd buy a ticket.

Also, why the Oct - Nov date range? Damage elk tags run Aug - Nov. August is a better month for family planning, as kids are out of school (granted, hunting is tough). Framing it Oct - Nov means this hunt would conflict with other rifle seasons.

Is there a reason you're pitching your question toward non-residents? You say a NR tag is around $350, but it's really closer to $600 for elk plus a $200 hunting license. Oregon is not kind to non-residents.

That said, there is a lot that is attractive about your offer and I think it could work. But the pitch to me is a cow hunt where someone can bring a minor (look into mentor program in OR) or buy a ticket on behalf of another.

Good cause, good area, good experience. That's all one can expect from a good hunt.

You're not going to get the trophy crowd looking for an epic bull, so figure out how you can offer a great family experience with a personal touch. That sells too. I'd buy a ticket.
Yes I got the NR fee incorrect. its $588 plus license. Oregon is horrible for NR. I am reaching out to some NR because I know Oregon residents would buy some, but I need to sell at least 250 or its not worth it. There are lot of NR on this forum.
I think bringing a minor would be perfect. If I do this, whomever wins can have anyone who is legal in Oregon be the hunter.

Also, why the Oct - Nov date range? Damage elk tags run Aug - Nov. August is a better month for family planning, as kids are out of school (granted, hunting is tough). Framing it Oct - Nov means this hunt would conflict with other rifle seasons.
In August the elk are up higher on public. I do have some small resident groups but they are hard to find in August ( for sure with a stranger). Once public hunters start the elk and deer start to move down. August is tough as the days are long and hot. My property is more of the "when there your committed for the day". Makes long days in August sitting for hours during heat of the day, and honestly, not sure how many handle the terrain and the heat. I would have no idea who I am dealing with on a raffle like this. The other rifle season would be deer, but I put down the dates after that. And this would be your only Elk tag. Oregon doesn't allow you to have 2 tags. Very few other general season for rifle elk in Eastern Oregon, especially since ODFW just whacked spiked hunts in Starkey and other units. I think its like 1100 tags less this year. Honeslty not even sure how much longer they will offer these damage tags. Northside just happens to be above objective.

Don't kill the messenger, but; Ya may want to verify this isn't considered "gambling". Uncle Sam doesn't like competition.
You are correct. This is considered gambling and without a 501c3 to present it, you've nailed it on the head.

I ran into a same situation when trying to 'raffle' off some tickets/entries for a $75 glasses & bottle FOR a non profit. These restrictions make it hard to try and do anything over the internet and keep it above board.

You are correct. This is considered gambling and without a 501c3 to present it, you've nailed it on the head.

I ran into a same situation when trying to 'raffle' off some tickets/entries for a $75 glasses & bottle FOR a non profit. These restrictions make it hard to try and do anything over the internet and keep it above board.
We are a 501c3

We are a 501c3
Even better!!! I may have missed that in the previous posts.

You have a lot of options then. You can actually set up online raffles/auctions much easier than anyone else could. I'm sure your tickets would sell out fast.

Even better!!! I may have missed that in the previous posts.

You have a lot of options then. You can actually set up online raffles/auctions much easier than anyone else could. I'm sure your tickets would sell out fast.
Ya that's why I wanted to float this first, to see if anyone would be intersted before I go through the work of getting it all set up.

I would for sure allow a guest to join them. This hunt has some difficult terrain. I cant keep track of that many people and nobody cant hunt on their own, and if we go on the other properties I have be with them. Guaranteed they will get lost, as its multiple canyons, one after another. I don't mind packing out an elk, a body is a whole different conversation.There is 20,000 plus acres of private, lots of fences and you need know which are just cattle fences and which are property boundaries.
Nobody gets lost if you have ON X maps.
But I understand the privite property thing and you have to be with them.
I would buy some probably 100 bucks worth.
Lol tickets license and tag for a non resident.
Is going to be a grand or more + travel
Cost .

Or when I win the mega million drawing tonight I will just buy all the tickets .
Kill the elk hire a helicopter to come pick it up fly it back to the cabin hire someone to cut it up and have a big bbq that night.
Lol fingers crossed.

I became an Oregon nonresident hunter in late summer. Couldn't be happier about it. I would happily buy tickets. Sounds like a great experience for a great cause.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top