JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spare a thought - a prayer if that's what you do, for 2nd Lt Thomas J Foley 785 Bombardment Squadron of 466 Heavy Bombardment Group out of RAF Attlebridge, Norfolk who died today in 1945. His name is to be found on the Wall of Remembrance at the American Cemetery Madingley, Cambridgeshire.

As the right-hand seat pilot of Chris' Crate, a B24 Liberator, they took off at around 8 am. About fifteen minutes later, they were struggling to survive in the chilly North Sea after a multiple engine failure and heavy ditching. Some of the crew survived, but Tom wasn't one of them.

media-6438.jpg
Image of B24 courtesy of the American Air Force in Britain.

He may or may not be a relative - it's a common enough name - but that doesn't matter to me. The likelihood of anybody coming over from the USA to see a name on a wall is very slim. But I have the same name, and I live just twenty minutes away, so I stand in for them.

Here are some of the rest of them - men who have no grave except the wide waters.

Thank you, and thank you.

It never ceases to amaze me , with what some folks willingly do for the service of others.
As long as we learn from these people and keep their stories re-told...they never will really die.
Thoughts sent to you tac , 2nd Lt. Thomas J. Foley and his crew....
Andy

I might add that thanks are due Andy and tac who both made the decision that their lives were worth risking for their countries.

Their names are with us here and not on a wall or a memorial by the grace of God and I know I am grateful to both of them AND to the members here that served.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top