JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My neighbors have a Ruger M77 in .30-06 that they'd like to sell. It's pretty clean, just some minor dings. Blue is nice. No rings, just the rifle as you see it. It has the original thin red recoil pad. Serial # 770-351**
They're good people and I'd like to get a fair price for them. I just don't know anything about the platform, so I appreciate any help you can give me. I'll be listing it for sale here and on Armslist once value is determined.

Thanks folks.

IMGP2374.JPG IMGP2376.JPG

Most of the older rifles like the 77,the 70 and the 700 are all about the same unless it's some special model SELL (not asking prices) at the 450-500 area at the shows.Some higher end models or special calibers will get $600 sometimes.But new guns can be had for that also.
Rugers didn't always seem to sell as fast but are bigger sellers nowadays.
And this isn't thee most opportune time to sell a 30'06. Next august or september is the best.
If they want to sell soon,then they will just need to consider lower offers

Thank you.
It isn't special in any particular way. So does a $400. asking price seem right, or just list it for $350. and hopefully be done with it?

I would ask close to 5 and see what comes about.
$350 and I may drive the miles to buy it,lol No $350 is a give away $400 is more than fair
So go with how fast you want to sell it.
But ask anyone close to you first, if you price it at 350

Cheap bastard...;)

We all think that, but most don't say it.

Honesty is the best policy. :)

I figured that if there are three sides to every story (my side, your side and the truth) then somewhere between a selling and buying price is what it will be sold for.

@GOG kind of wish I had the cheddar to splurge and pick up a Ruger -06 myself.

I have this same rifle a 1977 Ruger M77R bare rifle with scope rings is as the guys say a $450-500.00 rifle. Without the rings drop $25-35

These are refered to as Red Pad Tang Safety Rugers.
To backup the comment about different calibers etc. Changing the value. I also have a 1974 M77V (heavy barrel) in .22-250 and its a 650.00 to $700.00 rifle.

,270 .30-06 .308 would be the most common

I have this same rifle a 1977 Ruger M77R bare rifle with scope rings is as the guys say a $450-500.00 rifle. Without the rings drop $25-35

These are refered to as Red Pad Tang Safety Rugers.
To backup the comment about different calibers etc. Changing the value. I also have a 1974 M77V (heavy barrel) in .22-250 and its a 650.00 to $700.00 rifle.

,270 .30-06 .308 would be the most common
So to blatantly thread jack,what about a 220 swift? Would it hold much more value or just about the $400 mark (which is what I'm thinking) (I'm thinking of buying)

So to blatantly thread jack,what about a 220 swift? Would it hold much more value or just about the $400 mark (which is what I'm thinking) (I'm thinking of buying)

A M77V in .220 Swift is a little harder. While the caliber is almost mythical in its performance and everyone into Varmit hunting seams to want one. There is so much talk about how fast they burn through there barrels that selling one as old as a Red Pad Tang Safety Ruger is tends to harder then it should be. As to asking price I see them selling for about the same as a .22-250 in the $600-$700 range. A one owner gun that is near pristine is going to be an easier sale then one that has been around the block and had who knows how many rounds down the tube. Since buyers are going to want to think they know the mileage on the tube. A good way to test a Barrel is to have a dummy case with something like a 70gr round nose or SP type bullet crimped into the as long as possible. Then chamber the round and see if the rifling is nice and sharp as it cuts into the slug. This will indicate how much if any the throat has eroded. It will still be a bit of a guess unless you were to have a new barrel to do a side by side comparison.

As to Burning out the throat on a .22-250 or 220 Swift If you don't run the thing at Red Line all the time they will last as long as any other caliber. With my .22-250 as I am after coyote and smaller game I tend to shoot 50-55gr highly explosive slugs like the Hornady SPSX that way I keep my velocities around 3300-3400fps and yet the thing at 300 yards will devastate a dog and explode a rabbit. I rarely run it up into the upper reaches 3800fps+ as it just doesn't have any real advantage.

Just my opinion based on my limited knowledge having owned Ruger Red Pads since the early 80's and having been around .22-250's since 1970 When dad built his. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top